Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline Max-C Camber Plates just released!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to update - I've had my whiteline camber paltes fitted properly now and they are PERFECT.

For my setup, we needed to use the strap wrench trick as GTWORX said (actually used a fan belt), a small spacer between the top of the shock and the bottom of the camber plate and an ipact wrench to tighten the top bolt.

Also pays to make sure the bearings in the camber plates are in good condition while your'e at it.

Anyhow, no problems since. Car has done 3 track days and 2 autocross events plus alot of aggressive road driving in the last month or so and no issues anymore with "clunking".

Also, the caster and camber settings are bang spot on every time I take the car in for alignment.

So now, one very pleased customer. Just make sure they are installed properly (with KWs at least) and you're good to go. Thanks again to GTWORX for the help!
Old May 10, 2008, 06:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
how big is your spacer between the top of the shock and the camber plate?

ooh yuck on the impact wrench :|

I found yesterday that the camber adjust hex screws were fouling with the tops of the strut...

must be a spacing issue.. so let me know how thick your spacer is

trouble is if you make it too thick then the extruded washer (that comes with the MAX-C's) won't have a nice 'grip' on the piston...
Old May 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theshadow
Just to update - I've had my whiteline camber paltes fitted properly now and they are PERFECT.

For my setup, we needed to use the strap wrench trick as GTWORX said (actually used a fan belt), a small spacer between the top of the shock and the bottom of the camber plate and an ipact wrench to tighten the top bolt.

Also pays to make sure the bearings in the camber plates are in good condition while your'e at it.

Anyhow, no problems since. Car has done 3 track days and 2 autocross events plus alot of aggressive road driving in the last month or so and no issues anymore with "clunking".

Also, the caster and camber settings are bang spot on every time I take the car in for alignment.

So now, one very pleased customer. Just make sure they are installed properly (with KWs at least) and you're good to go. Thanks again to GTWORX for the help!
how big is your spacer between the top of the shock and the camber plate?

ooh yuck on the impact wrench :|

I found yesterday that the camber adjust hex screws were fouling with the tops of the strut...

must be a spacing issue.. so let me know how thick your spacer is

trouble is if you make it too thick then the extruded washer (that comes with the MAX-C's) won't have a nice 'grip' on the piston..

This is great news. I thought i was the only one having this issue with the whiteline plates and V3s. PLease tell me what size you used. Mine is only from the drivers side. I shaved one of the hex bolt down the only one i saw hitting but i didnt take the wheel off to look at the other one but i still have that crazy clunk. Its not the normal camber plate clunking. Well i guess it is but 100x worse

Its actually started to chip that purple ring/seat whatever its called on top of the helper spring.

Mine was weird. Tuesday they went on and set up. Hour drive home was perfect. The next morning got it aligned and drove 60 miles it was perfect. Didnt touch the car and the ride home it started

Please if either of you can tell me the spacer size

Last edited by kreionic; May 10, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 10, 2008, 07:57 PM
EvoM Guru

yeh im waiting for shadow to let me know too

I am going to buy some spacers for the Hex bolts as well just so they cant come through as much
Old May 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I suspected KW's....it is notoriously difficult to tighten the topnut on any camber plates with them. The shaft just spins and spins. We use a strap wrench to keep it from spinning and this way we can get the topnut tightened down properly. A pain, but if you're patient it can get them on. Great coilover by the way.

Definitely pick up a set of Kobalt strap wrenches for like 15 bucks from any hardware store or online.....they will make your life easier.

- Andrew
You have to use the right tool for the job.. With my KW's on another car, had to use a DOUBLE-D socket to hold the shaft in place.

Lisle sold a tool for doing this properly - LIS63400 but I don't believe they make those anymore.

Here's one though, a different brand - http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-1...over-a450.aspx

That flat side has the DOUBLE-D holes on them (different sizes), similar to the tips on the stock struts.

Last edited by funks; May 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by theshadow

Glad to see it worked out! Next time i'm in Dubai you're gonna have to give me a ride at the autodrome.

- andrew
Old May 12, 2008, 01:10 PM

great
Old May 12, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Come on shadow help us out here. What size spacers did you end up using?
Old May 12, 2008, 11:32 PM
EvoM Guru

ok so WhitelineAU emailed me yesterday.

They will be receiving a revised product at the end of this week.

I have no idea what their relationship is with the USA, so you may already have the revised product. Lets hope they issue a new part number

Hopefully I will get something in the mail this week or early next.
Old May 13, 2008, 03:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Andrew.

I hope you don't mind us filling up your vendor thread with product problems...

If you want I am happy to start a new thread in the suspension forum..?

Cheers
D.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ no worries. this will keep all the info easy to find.

- andrew
Old May 14, 2008, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

OK guys got this figured out with the whiteline plates and KWs. Thanks Chad and Mark. We had to shave one hex bolt on each camber plate but the plate still hit the top of the spring seat when the wheel was turned. We used spacers between the camber plate and coilover. We used 2 spacers that totaled 4.50mm. Hope this helps some people out
Old May 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
EvoM Guru

ok whiteline sent me a new kit.

1) the hex nuts are the same length, so I have used 2 1mm washers per bolt, when tightened the thread sits flush with the bottom of the plate.

2) the lower washer that comes with the kit (one that goes into the bottom of the bearing) has a slightly thinker base, perhaps 1mm now?

I have purchased some 2.5mm thick washers and have put them between the bottom of the washer in #2 and the top spring perch of the KW's. To compensate this height change I have lowered the bottom spring perch 2 full revolutions (about 4mm)

now there is a LOT of clearance between the bottom of the camber plates and the top spring perch!

happy

Have todo the other side but i think this will fix my problems
Old May 17, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Glad you figured it out. After looking at a few other perches for the evo. They all seem to taper a little bit. I think this is just an issue with the KW. Regardless. I am happy i got mine all figured out and you did too
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stock Struts + OEM style spring version

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Just got word that there WILL be a version for stock struts + OEM style springs in the coming month.

GTWorx Springs + Whiteline camber plates + Whiteline rear swaybar is gonna be awesome. Add some Whiteline bushings and you've got a really nice set-up.

- Andrew

Any news on the stock strut/OEM style spring versions availability?

Quick Reply: Whiteline Max-C Camber Plates just released!!!