Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

struts vs. coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Swifts are GOOD springs. With Bilsteins it's a really great set-up for your uses.

They have more of a drop then our springs, so I would recommend cutting the bumpstops up front.

- Andrew
Swifts are good set-up with stock struts
Old Dec 20, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

The EVO strut is inverted....I think that's most of the reason they don't have an insert. Same reason they don't have one for STi. It's a shame really, they're good stuff.

zzyzx uses koni inserts in his coilovers. They look pretty good.

- Andrew
I appreciate the answer, that does make sense.

I'd like for you to take a look at the following link:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Do you agree with what this article says?

Cliffs:

Originally Posted by DG
Buying Shocks

Remember this list:

Bilstein
Penske
Koni
Ohlins
Sachs
Dynamic Suspension

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:03 PM

I have Eibach Pro's w/ stock Evo 8 shocks and struts, White line roll center kit, rear bump steer kit, and a Progressive 25mm rear sway on middle setting. This set up works really well for daily driving, and track as well. I run NT-01's on the track. I run equal tire pressure f & r, and the car is really neutral. The center roll kit is mandatory if you lower, but only allows for .7 neg camber adjustment. My car had really bad front end lean til I installed center roll kit. This set up is inexpensive, and really effective for daily driving to track days......

Last edited by Devo's Evo; Dec 20, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeper3
I appreciate the answer, that does make sense.

I'd like for you to take a look at the following link:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Do you agree with what this article says?

Cliffs:
Some of it. I've looked around there before. There is a lot of info in there that is good stuff, and some that I just flat out disagree with.

That list is ALL good. Sachs kicks ****ing ***, so does Penske, Ohlins, Bilstein, Koni, etc.

BUT Moton, KW, JRZ also are very very good. He says he won't put them on his list since he doesn't have any experience with them, but I think he's just a pessimist.

But yeah, a lot of the things he talks about are true. There is a LOT of crap out there. Most of it is probably made in China and different brand names are just slapped on.

There are some other things I disagree with on that site, but for the most part it's spot on.

- Andrew
Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Some of it. I've looked around there before. There is a lot of info in there that is good stuff, and some that I just flat out disagree with.

That list is ALL good. Sachs kicks ****ing ***, so does Penske, Ohlins, Bilstein, Koni, etc.

BUT Moton, KW, JRZ also are very very good. He says he won't put them on his list since he doesn't have any experience with them, but I think he's just a pessimist.

But yeah, a lot of the things he talks about are true. There is a LOT of crap out there. Most of it is probably made in China and different brand names are just slapped on.

There are some other things I disagree with on that site, but for the most part it's spot on.

- Andrew
Thanks for your feedback.

As I mentioned Konis have been really good to me. Now that I have the Evo I'm glad Bilsteins are in the picture, although it seems the only two upgrade products are either non adjustable MR struts/shocks, or the PSS9 which are a bit pricey but seem well worth it.

I just wish there was an adjustable off the shelf strut/shock from a reputable company that I could use with stock springs for autox. I'll probably have to have someone custom make a set of double adjustable Konis when the time comes, as I've read on here that someone has done that.

Edit: Speaking of crap, I put some Ksport fans in their place when I found a post by a Mazda Tripoint engineer who had actual shock dynos comparing Ksport dampers vs Koni single adjustables. It was really comical, the max setting on one Ksport side was actually LOWER than the min setting on the other side.

Last edited by sleeper3; Dec 21, 2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sleeper3
Thanks for your feedback.

As I mentioned Konis have been really good to me. Now that I have the Evo I'm glad Bilsteins are in the picture, although it seems the only two upgrade products are either non adjustable MR struts/shocks, or the PSS9 which are a bit pricey but seem well worth it.

I just wish there was an adjustable off the shelf strut/shock from a reputable company that I could use with stock springs for autox. I'll probably have to have someone custom make a set of double adjustable Konis when the time comes, as I've read on here that someone has done that.

Edit: Speaking of crap, I put some Ksport fans in their place when I found a post by a Mazda Tripoint engineer who had actual shock dynos comparing Ksport dampers vs Koni single adjustables. It was really comical, the max setting on one Ksport side was actually LOWER than the min setting on the other side.
Ohlins makes a fixed perch adjustable damper for use with stock or aftermarket springs. We do a LOT of these for STi. Awesome ride quality and performance. One of our most popular set-ups, but hasn't really taken off on the EVO side for some reason.

Another Bilstein option is their Bilstein HD dampers. A little firmer then the MR stuff, but still not adjustable. I like Bilstein a lot, but I do agree with DG that their adjustments aren't the greatest. Their non-adjustable HD struts are still awesome for their price and the PSS9's are still great.

I probably shouldn't say anything bad about Ksport and D2, etc......so....I'll stop here.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Dec 21, 2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
coilover no doubt is the best..........
Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

did you even read the thread?

- Andrew
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_rc
coilover no doubt is the best..........
It would be nice if were that straightforward.

Would you pick a set of chinese made coilovers over Ohlins struts/shocks with a good set of springs?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

- Andrew
Amen But then again I haven't won any national championships
Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

GTWORX.com do u mind doing a writ up on EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller) how does it work and what it does ?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor

From what I understand, the controller attaches to a step motor on each coilover. The step motor basically turns the knobs for you to the setting you want.

Useful feature and definitely convenient. But in my opinion, not as important as how the good the coilover itself really is. I'd rather have a good coilover that I adjust myself.

- Andrew
Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

From what I understand, the controller attaches to a step motor on each coilover. The step motor basically turns the knobs for you to the setting you want.

Useful feature and definitely convenient. But in my opinion, not as important as how the good the coilover itself really is. I'd rather have a good coilover that I adjust myself.

- Andrew
ok so what is the best setup for evos? DD no track need to be lover the stock
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

1. Ultimate set-up: Ohlins fixed perch adjustable dampers with either Swift or our own GTWorx springs

2. Awesome: Bilstein HD dampers (or EVO MR Bilsteins) with Swift or GTWorx springs

3. Good: stock EVO dampers with Swift or GTWorx springs.

Both the Swifts and our GTWorx springs are great. The Swifts lower the car a little more then ours, but are a little softer. Pick which ride height you like better.

You can add a rear swaybar and some Whiteline bushings if you like, but for just a DD, you don't really need to.

- Andrew

just my opinion....
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

PM me with the prices for them setup and labor

Quick Reply: struts vs. coilovers