Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit--need some help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit--need some help

Alright, so I've got the tie rod ends competely taken care of.

But I couldn't get enough torque on the compressor to take off the lower arms (to use the press for the ball joints) so I had to take off the hub and all that and managed to get the ball joint pressed out and the new ones pressed back in using a ball joint separator hand tool.

Now you guys are going to laugh here, but I can't for the life of me get that damn c-clip back on!!!! Any tips you guys gave give me? It almost seems like it's too small...I wonder if I can re-use the stock c-clip.

Thanks in advance...happy holidays!
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that job about a year ago and don't remember any c-clip, where does it go?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Wow...it goes on the lower arm ball joint, to assure that the ball joint doesn't move back down out of the arm.

Hopefully someone else who's finished it recently can chime in. And you should probably check your install.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I've done this mod to my car, you have to really get those new ball joints pressed all the way into the control arms, enough to where the grove for the clip is shown. I used a press to take off the old ball joints and put the new ones on. but the jack on the crapy pressed that my friend has gave out, so I ended up using the rented tool that I got from AutoZone. If you use the tool, make sure you use an air gun. Let me know if you are realy stuck, PM me. Oh also if you don't see the c-clip grove on the new ball joints, it might be because a piece of aluminum might be stuck in there. Clean the grove out with a pick, or something pointy. This is part of the aluminum that comes out when you push the old ball joints out. Nothing to worry about. Merry XMAS!
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Hey thanks man! I've got the joint pressed all the way in, and I see the groove no problem, I just literally can't get this damn "c-clip" to go on! I've tried spreading it but it's too tight, I've tried just pressing over the top, but it's too tight, I can't go in from the side because the c-clip is really a complete circle.

It's not like the stock c-clip in that actually looks like a C, and I noticed that it's a little smaller (inner diameter) than the stock c-clip as well. Crap. What do you guys use to install this crap? I'm trying to press it down with my damn flathead and keep slipping off. I didn't want to gouge the arm any more so I've stopped for the moment.

Thanks again....
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Here's some photos of what I'm talking about (click on the photo for the normal view):

Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

There is a tool for it, (plier looking type); or you can go the ghetto way and put a hanger on one side, another hanger on the other side and put your muscles to work.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Haha...I was actually thinking about doing that. But I'm just going to get some snap ring pliers tomorrow when the stores are open again. I was moreso frustrated because I really want to finish this and need to have the car back together enough to move it so that the other side of the garage is useable again.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:58 PM

You were trying to get a 'diesel' snap ring like that on without snap ring pliers? hehe...

Those are tough enough even with the right size pliers.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Tell me about it. I just got it partially on just before I jetted off for the movies. I think the ball joint needs to be pressed in just a tad bit more though, I pushed the ring as far down as I could, and now the boot won't fit!

Sonofa*****. It's sad that I can do cams and can't do this simple f'ing job without issues.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you take some pictures of the process from now to the end?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

I can on the other side...I've only done the passenger side at this point. But it's not really necessary to take too many photos...the photos there pretty much sum it up. It's just a ball joint. Press out, press in. Sounds easy enough doesn't it?

Bwahahahaha!

I just have bad luck and no tools.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

OK--- that would be a snap ring not a C-Clip Should I still check my install?

It looks like you don't have the ball joint all the way in, what did you use to press it? I had a hellaofa time finding the right tool to do the job, I used a 1-3/4" holesaw blade with the teeth ground off to get that puppy in all the way.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

I used a ball joint separator tool, upside down to press it in. I used a piece of metal folded 4-times (with my 20 ton press) to use as a spacer, and still went through it at the end.

But it seemed to have worked. I'm going to get a real press kit right now at the store to make sure she's all the way in.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
OK--- that would be a snap ring not a C-Clip Should I still check my install?

It looks like you don't have the ball joint all the way in, what did you use to press it? I had a hellaofa time finding the right tool to do the job, I used a 1-3/4" holesaw blade with the teeth ground off to get that puppy in all the way.
I call those c-clips. The one that came with the whilteline I call a snap ring. It does the same stuff.

Quick Reply: Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit--need some help