Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Strut/spring pop?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut/spring pop?

I have a popping sound (sublte) when making slow turns, for instance into a parking space. It does it more so over an uneven surface. I have Tein S-techs on stock struts, so I'm pretty sure this is the problem

I also found I have play in my right tie rod end. I doubt this is the sound. I'm replacing both tie rod end anyway, whether they're casuing the sound or not.

Any other suggestions? I have another thread about my CV joint possibly being the sound, but that's out of the picture. the CV joint is fine.

It's either the struts and springs or something else, which I'm not sure. The struts are not leaking or blown. Do they make pop noise before they blow? It's bugging the hell out of me. I just want some coil-overs and get rid of these garbage S-techs....
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

are you using the stock top hats?

if you are i would bet you are experiencing spring binding. check to see if there is enough lube in the top hats.

also search around this forum for "clunk" there are alot of threads about this.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
are you using the stock top hats?

if you are i would bet you are experiencing spring binding. check to see if there is enough lube in the top hats.

also search around this forum for "clunk" there are alot of threads about this.
I just popped those off and took a look. I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. there was defiantly grease in there, but I'm not sure how much is supposed to be in there initially.

I did search... but people say "cluck" as if it's loud... This sound you have to hae the stereo off to hear. It's not a sound that extremly noticable... but it's defiantly there and wasn't there until the other day

I'm planning on getting some Megan coil-overs, which I read they're noisey anyway...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

my thread from few days ago still no answer
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...32#post5194832
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I read through your thread. It worries me about my future Megan coilover purchase...
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

goin back to AMS next monday to get them to do something. PM me on monday ill let ya know what happens
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

I hear many many good things about Megan Coil-overs, but every now and then you hear complaints about noise. I've always knows Coil-overs o naturally be loud due to solid pillow ball mounts.

I'm hoping to get a set soon. I'm just trying to make sure this noise I'm hearing in my stock struts is normal or if I shuld be concerned...

I already have one te rod on the way and I'll be ordering another shortly. I don't daily drive my car so until I have some money to buy the other tie rod, I probably won't drive it much, if at all.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Mondo said is 99% likely to be the cause of the problem; it is the spring catching on something (against the upper mount, or the spring perch), not being able to rotate as the wheel turns, and then POPPING as it finally builds up enough tension to break free of what it was caught against.

The front is a mac-strut, when the wheel turns, the entire assembly (with the exception of the upper mount, of course) turns, including the spring. STOPPING the spring from turning would make the problem worse (as was suggested to Silver06 in the other thread). The spring needs to be able to turn freely along with the shock.

This issue is not brand-specific, and it isn't car-specific. If you've got a mac-strut suspension, this can happen. It *shouldn't*, but it can. The solution is to:
a. find out what is causing the spring to bind - what are the ends getting caught on? Is there debris between the end coils and the upper mount and spring perch that prevents it from turning freely? Are the ends not cut cleanly, allowing them to catch against the upper mount or spring perch?
b. add something between the coils and the upper mount and/or spring perch that will allow the spring to turn more easily. Thrust bearings were suggested in the other thread, a beefy teflon ring may also help.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

It's not just a single pop, it's multiple small "pop pop pop" but it's not a consistant pop. It's not like the spring binds and it builds pressure and there is one loud pop. It's difficult to explain wihtout hand gestures, haha.

Though I'm defiantly leaning towards this "spring binding" being the problem. This does, at times happen in a straight line slowing to a stop sign at around 10mph....
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

thats the sound and thats the fix for it
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

I know I'm coming off as a total nOOb in this thread, but hey I don't know everything. Now I must ask, is this a SERIOUS problem that needs immediate attention? I'm buying coilovers in a few months (Then on to more noise complaints ) So I'm not sure I feel like tearing everything apart and realigning the car if I'm just going to tear it apart and realign it in a month or so... Alignments are free because I do them myself at work, but still... why waste the time doing the work twice... I've never delt with the "spring binding" stuff though... so I know nothing about it.

Like I said, I do not daily drive the car. It didn't start doing this until I had it out for a "spirited" drive this past weekend on some mountain roads. I haven't had the chance to run the car hard in months so I took advantage of the nice day, now it makes this pop sound
Old Jan 29, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

i dont think it will do anything but if you get the megan you will prolly have same problem
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Has anybody used Tien basics? The Evo hardly needs any improvment in the suspension department unles it's a HARDcore track *****. Which my car might see the track 2 possibly 3 times a year. I think basic coil-overs would work fine for that and make for an amazing daily driver.

I hardly hear anything about Tein basics on this forum though... Same with Tanabe.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Has anybody used Tien basics? The Evo hardly needs any improvment in the suspension department unles it's a HARDcore track *****. Which my car might see the track 2 possibly 3 times a year. I think basic coil-overs would work fine for that and make for an amazing daily driver.

I hardly hear anything about Tein basics on this forum though... Same with Tanabe.
...not to hate on Tein in particular, but...

Most of the Asian coilovers have very short travel and very stiff high speed damping. This means that while they're almost acceptable on the track, they're AWFUL on the street. The Tein Basics are the low end of the low end. It's like buying a Geo Metro.

Read this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=316195

There's a lot of good information there. If you're not tracking the car, you may just want to think about springs. Andrew from GTWorx can point you in the right direction there. Coilovers don't like street use, especially salt on the roads that we get in the winter. It corrodes the shaft of the damper and then the seals start leaking. Once I get mine, they'll stay on for the competition season and then the stock struts will go back on for the offseason.

This forum needs a coilover thread sticky.

Last edited by GTLocke13; Jan 29, 2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
...not to hate on Tein in particular, but...

Most of the Asian coilovers have very short travel and very stiff high speed damping. This means that while they're almost acceptable on the track, they're AWFUL on the street. The Tein Basics are the low end of the low end. It's like buying a Geo Metro.

Read this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=316195

There's a lot of good information there. If you're not tracking the car, you may just want to think about springs. Andrew from GTWorx can point you in the right direction there. Coilovers don't like street use, especially salt on the roads that we get in the winter. It corrodes the shaft of the damper and then the seals start leaking. Once I get mine, they'll stay on for the competition season and then the stock struts will go back on for the offseason.

This forum needs a coilover thread sticky.
As far as harshness and stiffness goes, it won't bother me... I can deal with stiff coil-overs. As far as road salt goes... PA tends to over do it

What "mostly street/some track" coilovers would you suggest? I'd have no problem going with Megans but there are all the noise complaints. I've been told not to go with MR bilstiens from a guy I know with an MR. I want an obviously firmed the stock ride with minimal body roll. He says the MR's are too soft.

Quick Reply: Strut/spring pop?