Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

when is it time to rebuild caliper?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when is it time to rebuild caliper?

i searched but didn't find much so hoping if people can explain when its time to get the caliper rebuilt. Do i need a rebuild if the dust boots are shot? Or do the inside seals have to give and leaking for a caliper to require a rebuild?

I have 65K on the car with about 8-10 track days, the dust sheilds are busted, but don't see any leaks.

I'm getting very loud squeak/groan noise when applying the brakes and the noise gets louder the harder you get on the brakes. pads have a bit of life left, but wondering if its just the pads (keep in mind not talking squealing here). is there a way to check if the pistons are all working right. i don't have anyone that can sit in the car and press the pedal for me to see if all 4pistons work.

thanks
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

mods, please delete or close this thread. Posted in the wrong section and have moved the post to the regular brakes and suspension section. thanks
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Retract the pads to the calipers, since you say you have a little pad life left, you should be able to get a decent size gap, then press the pedal. You should be able to see the piston distance close up.