Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Sizing and the Star Specs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we have high speed portions, but nothing like what I've seen you guys do out west. its VERY VERY rare to see an EVO in my region use 3rd gear.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you NEVER have high speed portions in your autox courses, then maybe, but I have done a lot of of autocrosses, and sometimes I don't make it to 6500rpm in 2nd and others I am on the rev limiter (8k) if I don't shift to 3rd. That part is up to you.
I agree. We use about 5 different venues in my region and the course is different every time. Sometimes I have to downshift back into first. Sometimes I'm on the limiter in second. Sometimes I'm tempted to shift into third. Come to think of it, if you have as many mods as you do, you might want to just step up to a bigger size tire altogether. But going to smaller than stock size really doesn't seem to make all that much sense. But hey, if you want to try it, and especially if you get good results, go ahead and try it. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:40 AM
Bro

For me its more about feel and handling than top speed. I am completely unmodified and don't race at all. For street driving I think the Evo is already set up about perfect and would go with the stock Advans if they weren't so expensive.

Can't go wrong with the stock size but it just seems like 3# per tire and a smaller diameter would make a noticeable difference in acceleration on the street. I am guessing the shorter sidewall would make the tire feel a little stiffer too but its hard to say without trying them, These star specs feel pretty gummy.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

I use 245/45/17 on the star specs. I've got limited time on them and I can only compare to Advans and T1-s (previous version to Toyo T1-r). Overall, I notice no difference on speed, stance, or gearing because the difference is so small.

These things are really gippy though. Much better than the Toyo's and comparable to the Advans in most conditions (better in wet).

I agree about smaller sizes though - don't do it. Stock or 245/45 only for this tire.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

you guys talking about not going to a smaller size, do you reall think you'll notice the difference? I mean, we're talking about a 235/40 vs. 235/45, its hardly going to be a night and day difference in terms of diameter. the weight difference I think would be much more noticable.

235/40/17 = 24.4" overall diameter
235/45/17 = 25.3" overall diameter

according to my quick math thats about a 4mph difference.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

245/45 isn't typically a good size as it's much taller than stock and doesn't always fit without rubbing depending on alignment/suspension. I specifically use 245/45s for my drag radials in order to get another several hundred rpm in 4th, and it worked like a charm. It is definitely noticeable, but that may be because I know exactly where I am at the end of 4th on every run and was needing some extra room.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

I consider 4mph a _huge_ difference. It also means your speedometer will be off a decent amount (read higherr than actual).
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

racing comes down the hundredths of a second. so yes 4 mph does make a huge difference
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

good thing this isn't a race car then.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I'm running the stock turbo with 20psi PEAK boost... when I autox.
I autox & HPDE a lot
...I shift @ 7k on the street
good thing this isn't a race car.
ORLY? sounds like more of a race car than most to me

j/k around. like I said before, just do what you want and let us know how you like it
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
245/45 isn't typically a good size as it's much taller than stock and doesn't always fit without rubbing depending on alignment/suspension. I specifically use 245/45s for my drag radials in order to get another several hundred rpm in 4th, and it worked like a charm. It is definitely noticeable, but that may be because I know exactly where I am at the end of 4th on every run and was needing some extra room.
My drag trips are limited to about 4-5 passes a year, so I'm not looking for that extra gearing. My reasoning is more for the extra width for auto-x.

Please don't turn this into a discussion about what is the best width for the stock rims for a particular setup. I researched a lot and determined this would be the best for me (even over the stock size). Other people might have better luck with a smaller width/profile, but this works for me.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Since its a street car, and not even close to a race car, 4mph doesn't mean squat to me. Instead of shifting @ 7k I'll shift @ 7150 if I need to make up the 4mph difference. not like I drag race anymore and need every MPH I can get outta 4th gear or anything.

Last edited by AlwaysinBoost; Jul 16, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Wags, there also 245/40s, which is typically better, but we're not talking huge differences. If you got what you want, that's fine - no biggie. If you're in STU, then I know you can't go beyond 245, and that is a good size for the stock rims. I use 255/40-17s (almost identical diameter to the stock tires) on the stock rims since I don't run in STU and don't use my stock rims for any sanctioned racing - just DD and non-competitive track days.

AlwaysInBoost, didn't want to offend you. We're just giving you our experiences from lots of autocross events. This is discussed quite often in the Motorsports forum, but never is the discussion about SHORTENING the gearing - it's always about getting more rpms in 1st and 2nd. Mine is also a street car with full interior and baby seat in the rear, so it just comes down to what you care about most.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

no offense taken, I understand the logic.

Previously when all I did was drag race, I made threads about finding tires with larger diameter to increase my top speed in 4th gear.

Now that I'm not even using all my RPM in 2nd gear it makes sense to drop down to a light, slightly smaller diameter tire.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Something else to consider, many have reported the Star Specs in a 245 are just as wide as the Azenis in a 255. I run the Stars in a 245/45, as I need the taller gearing as well (stock 6mt). If gearing wasnt an issue I would have went with the 245/40

SQ