Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Megan Racing Coilovers?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to see a dyno plot of the dampers. This is the least amount of info needed to begin to determine whether or not they are decent. Without this data, there is no telling how good or bad they are. Aside from that there are some quality issues that have been known for some time about them. We have seen locals who have had them and have no lasted more than 15000 miles.

Tony
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
the megans are an alright CO, nothing special, but nothing that poor.
So I'm assuming you have been to the track with them now right? Do you have the streets or the race? How did they perform min comparison to the stock.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Drove a friends car with these... came with it when he bought his Evo 8. (He sold the Megans for $350 )

All I can say is...save your money, get springs instead... valving on the dampers seem inappropriate for the springs... feels like springs are doing all the work.
Driving with these on the highway and going over dips and bumps... my butt literally lifted off the seat...
we did play with the 32-way adjustments too... didn't help... especially when I lost track of how many clicks I turned it... Prvious owner stated that the coilovers were only 5 months old.

If you're going to dish up $850ish for this...save up little more and get something worth while.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

The Megan/BC feel great when new but they wear out fast if you drive a lot.

You will notice the ride get more soft and bouncy over time. I've gone through 2 sets of them. Save your money for something better.

BC and Megan will not warranty shocks that are not leaking and it is "normal wear and tear" according to them.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slvrr
So I'm assuming you have been to the track with them now right? Do you have the streets or the race? How did they perform min comparison to the stock.
I have the Megan "street" version coilovers with stock swaybars. I can't give you a stock versus Megan track day opinion, b/c I never tracked my Evo stock. I was pleased with the balance and overall drive of my Evo with the Megan suspension. But, stiffer spring rate + stronger damper gives better body control, which improves both driver confidence and lateral weight transfer.

IMO, the rear spring rates supplied with Megan coilovers (and most coilover kits designed for the Evo) have too soft of a rate as compared to the front rate. Note that Mitsubishi's OEM rate is HIGHER in the rear than in the front. Therefore, I swapped out the rear Megan springs for 550#/in. Eibach springs. If I'd retained the Megan Racing coilovers' 6kg/mm rear spring rate with the 8 kg/mm front springs, I'd probably have experienced more understeer.

Details on my alignment setting and some videos from my track day here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=331322

In reference to the comment earlier by EvoPooPoo about "Driving with these on the highway and going over dips and bumps... my butt literally lifted off the seat... ", I suspect that may have because the Megans were installed at the length of the damper set to match the OEM strut/shock... but then the car was lowered drastically.

That means the suspension is using up valuable travel - maybe 2" or more - in droop (i.e., the shocks are set long, but the spring perch as been set low to get the car to sit at the ride height desired). That will make any coilover bottom out HARD over pretty minor bumps or rough railroad tracks.

Doesn't really matter what quality damper or what spring rates you're using at that point... if you're slamming 3000+ lbs of car into the bumpstops. It's going to feel like absolute ****, and your tires are probably going to come off the ground upon rebound.