Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Warped rotors, is it ever worth milling them flat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
show me on the car not on a lathe that can throw the rotor off center. then put a new rotor on and check that the same way.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Jul 23, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
is new to the game and inexperienced.

i never said that. i just said that HE STATED AND I QUOTE,"
Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
Shelby/Ford GT 40s – one of the most intense brake development program in history - I have never seen a warped brake disc. I have seen lots of cracked discs, (FIGURE 1) discs that had turned into shallow cones at operating temperature :
case rested...
Old Jul 25, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Welp, I am going to get my wheels balanced this weekend, and inspect the brakes and everything. Then, Sunday, I will be ordering any of the parts I need. I need my brakes all fixed up asap!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

do it again

Originally Posted by neonglh
Its a company selling a product...

While the wording "warped" may be incorrect, my car shakes like a washing mashine when we brake. I have tried several bed-in sessions, and it still does it. Myth or not, my car shakes badly on braking, and I need it fixed.

--mark
and this time get more heat into them make sure you don't come to a stop until the rotors are cool.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
I had a similar vibration coming from the front end of my car a few months back. After turning the rotors, rebedding pads, and taking the car to 3 different shops, it turns out I had a bad tire. It was heat damaged, causing the vibration. A new set of tires totally fixed all of the vibration.
Youre saying that the tires were causing your brake vibration? If it were rotors, it would only shake while braking. If it were tires, it would shake all the time. Bad tire at low speeds, bad balancing would be higher speeds. I would like to know how 3 different shops couldnt figure that out. Ive been the "brake tech" at my shop for over 4 years and never once had a tire cause the problem. Check your suspension. If your struts are shot, you could be experiencing brake warping more often than normal.

Check and see what the discard specs are for your rotors. You can have them cut, but if they go beyond those specs, they will warp a lot quicker.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i have this same problem. i swtiched to the stock yoko's on rota boost's and after a couple of months i noticed a bad vibration when the brakes were applied. i also noticed that my tires werent balanced to well. i had the tires balanced twice and then got the rotors "turned" and then had the tires rebalanced. all was good until i took a 900 mile road trip and by the mid way to the end of my trip i noticed my rotors are warped again. i'm thinking about just getting an aftermarket set up (rotors, pads, brake lines and fluid) from Gruppe-S. i just hope i don t get the warped rotors again.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Do you really believe a 450 mile trip would warp your rotors? How did you bed in the pads? Do a search for pad bedding in or burnishing. Simple solution for a very common problem.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

well the only reason i think the trip did it was because it was all good until mid way through my trip. i'll try rebedding the pads again but i dont think it will work.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

and that would definitely point to uneven pad deposits unless you were hauling a trailer fully loaded trough the Rockies.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

no but i was in a up/down road with moderate turns back to back. it was pretty fun. i'll try to re bed the brakes again soon.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, when driving on the street and come to a dead stop. let up off the brakes. If you're on a slight grade, use the e brake to keep you stationary. When you keep the pedal firmly depressed it traps the heat in that area of the rotor. When I can I always allow myself enough space to keep the car rolling, even if only inching forward. It helps.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
show me on the car not on a lathe that can throw the rotor off center. then put a new rotor on and check that the same way.
Wut?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

see post previous.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

i also have the same problem. my steering wheel shakes when i brake. due to warped rotors.
there is a local rotor shop called 88rotors they sell all 4 corners for 300$
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:27 PM

Is almost impossible to warp rotors. Could be the wheels/rotors are not flush on the hub or even your brake pads could be worn in different places giving you that wobbling sensation when braking.

Quick Reply: Warped rotors, is it ever worth milling them flat?