Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins coilovers for drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohlins coilovers for drag racing?

yeah like the title says, I need a good suspension setup for drag racing. The car currently has some ohlins coilovers that were on it when I imported the car from japan 2 years ago. They are very good for DD and some spirited driving, but they dont seem to be helping me at launch during a drag race. I have yet to mess with the dampening settings. For starters, they are not 2 way adjustable. So what am I looking at here, some tweaking or a new setup?? Any info on this would be great...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Contact Buschur or AWD Motorsports, they have Apexi N1's that is about as light as you will find. 9sec9, some of the PR guys, and the Buschur shop cars are all on N1's. We have just started developing a spring package so watch for info or PM David. Indy
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

so, out with the ohlins then I assume??
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

btw indy, the 'drag' race that I mentioned earlier is on the streets...no proper strips in Pakistan...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

i think it's a waste to throw the Ohlins out for some drag race. I think that you should try messing with the settings first.

Try setting the rear damper softer, it'll allow the rear to squat a little more thus giving you more traction on the take off.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input tvbf1, its just that if I soften the rear too much, maybe the tires might touch the rear fenders under heavy load or no?? Im on 235/35/17 advan neova ad07s btw...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

The tires might be your other problems. Advan Neova as I know have pretty stiff tire wall. It's meant more for the turns and twisty. If you're into drag, you might want to take a look at some other tires with softer tire wall.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
please be more descriptive on what the car is doing on the launch. Yes it may be tires, could be alignment and also could be how you have the suspension set up. What is your 60 foot, are the tires spinning, what rpms are your 2 step and what tire pressure are you running? Lots of factors to consider based on how the car is reacting.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
Account Disabled

contact Ohlins USA about a revalve and new springs appropriate for what you're looking to do.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Contact Buschur or AWD Motorsports, they have Apexi N1's that is about as light as you will find. 9sec9, some of the PR guys, and the Buschur shop cars are all on N1's. We have just started developing a spring package so watch for info or PM David. Indy
Will the N1's ride like stock even if i dont lower the car?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fimotorsports
please be more descriptive on what the car is doing on the launch. Yes it may be tires, could be alignment and also could be how you have the suspension set up. What is your 60 foot, are the tires spinning, what rpms are your 2 step and what tire pressure are you running? Lots of factors to consider based on how the car is reacting.
the car spins quite a lot at launch, also the back end tails out a bit. The tires are new and very sticky, but then again maybe Im using them for something they're not really meant to do..
Its definitely not the alignement as I had the car aligned only recently when I got these new tires. I dont have any way to masure my 60 foot since im not on a strip, but I can tell it sucks. A stock turbo evo with bolt ons and nitrous kills me at launch...
Ive lowered my 2 step to 5500rpms, which is IMO, quite low for a 35R car...it builds about 8-10 psi off the line...
Im running 28psi in the fronts and 23 psi in the rears....lowering the tire pressure has helped a bit, but Ive yet to get that 'killer' launch most big turbo evos have...
any info wud be very helpful Dan, Im a great fan of your driving!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Will the N1's ride like stock even if i dont lower the car?
NO.

Scorke
Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

bump for some info...to sell or not to sell the ohlins??
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yasir
the car spins quite a lot at launch, also the back end tails out a bit. The tires are new and very sticky, but then again maybe Im using them for something they're not really meant to do..
Its definitely not the alignement as I had the car aligned only recently when I got these new tires. I dont have any way to masure my 60 foot since im not on a strip, but I can tell it sucks. A stock turbo evo with bolt ons and nitrous kills me at launch...
Ive lowered my 2 step to 5500rpms, which is IMO, quite low for a 35R car...it builds about 8-10 psi off the line...
Im running 28psi in the fronts and 23 psi in the rears....lowering the tire pressure has helped a bit, but Ive yet to get that 'killer' launch most big turbo evos have...
any info wud be very helpful Dan, Im a great fan of your driving!
Street launch and at the track are completely different, on my 2.3 liter and 37r I would launch at 5500 and about 5psi of boost with a drag radial and cut 1.4 60 foots. I would say you are in need of some better tires and hold on the suspension. No matter what suspension you change to, you will get similar results with tires that don't grab. For more of a drag launch I would start with the rear suspension 1 inch higher then the front, also make them a bit softer in the rear if you can. If you are still spinning, lower the two step another 200 rpms and try to back down the boost off the line to about 5-7 psi

Last edited by fimotorsports; Jul 23, 2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

thank you dan, now Im a go find some drag radials...

Quick Reply: Ohlins coilovers for drag racing?