Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel and Tire Size for Autox/Track/Spirited Driving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax199
It's well worth the trouble, 9.5 and 10" are capable of supporting some serious meat.

I run 315s on a 10" wheel and the difference is running mid pack locally VS contending for FTD, IMO that's substantial.
Wow. those pictures are pretty amazing, a 315? A few questions...

Whats the black thing you used as the lip?

How did you cut the radius of the fender? Just eye ball it or marked it with a marker?

What did you use to cut it, dremel?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

The lip is nothing but the door edge rubber protectors they sell at your regular autoparts and I just cut them to the desired length.
I had made fender flares but decided not to go with them because the cut fenders don't look too bad and the street tires look ridiculous under the flares.

To cut the fenders, I marked them with a pencil and used an air metal shearer that went trough the front aluminum fenders clean and straight.

The rear quater panels were a little harder as there is an inner steel reinforcement that needs to be cut with a rotary wheel cutter. The whole process took me 2 hours with the right tools and was well worth it because I can run 335 front/ 315 rear on 17" wheels.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

the concern on rubbing is a matter of offset and tire choice. The width of the wheel is going to cause the tire to either bulge or be stretched, so they really play little impact on wether or not it's going to rub because most rubbing is cuased by the outer shoulder of the tire (edge of the tread) not the side wall.

I run 17x10 +23F +33R (I got a deal on a used set otherwise I might have got the 9.5") with 255/40/17's lowered on swift springs and I don't even have my fenders rolled so you definatly could get away with a bigger tire.

Now I am glad I have the 10" width because my next set of tires will be 275's so I feel it is a good route. But 9.5 or 10 I think you will be happy and get a lot of grip.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 01:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want a street/autocross tire, don't underestimate or forget the value of some really good 245/40/17s. There's a reason STU class makes sense for Evos
If you want to do more high speed HPDEs on track, 255/40/17s like RA1s or some of the other light race tires would be a good start. If you get some 17x9s you could run either of these tires to good potential.
That's a good starting point, especially before you have serious suspension, and also after.