Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

new suspension

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new suspension

okay.. so i have about 50k with stock suspension and after so long of driving my car it feels as if the evo cant take good turns anymore ( i think i might just be used to the car)..

just wondering what the best route to go since i dont know how much longer the stock struts are going to hold

i want better suspension what to do?

buy springs with my 50k struts

or buy a set of non expensive coilovers ( if so which ones)

thanks in advance

ps.. i daily drive the car but dont mind stiffness
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

try some bilstein hd with gtworx springs. You could just get the springs now and when your damper goes just upgrade then. the bilstein hd and springs would probably set you back about $1000.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks! We have a sale going on so it's a little bit less then that.

Let me know if you have any questions, but that's a great set-up for a daily driven EVO that's still competitive in local autocross events. Great handling and ride quality.

- Andrew
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

the blisten hds.. are the same from an MR correct??? cause i have a buddy who is selling me his for very cheap...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

????^^^
Old Aug 2, 2008, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

broo... Buy Megan street, D2 or BC coilovers. Much better than stock suspension. You won't have to worry about anything going because everything will be brand new. You'll see a night a day difference compared to just slapping on springs on your car. Also, you will be able to eliminate weight in all 4 corners of the car. Do it right once ! Good luck ! BTW you can get any of the 3 coilovers between $8-930 shipped best bang for the buck..
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

thanks... but my friend baught his car and in a month bought a full coilover suspension from tien.. so his shocks and struts only have about 2,000 miles..

he is willing to sell me his stock suspension from his MR for like100 bucks... are those the same as the blisten hds???
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

bump for help
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gpintoevo9
the blisten hds.. are the same from an MR correct??? cause i have a buddy who is selling me his for very cheap...
a little different, not much. i like the HDs a tiny bit more but it's pretty close. They've been out of stock for months so i would jump on a good set of MR Bilsteins if i had a chance.

- Andrew
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evoixbri
broo... Buy Megan street, D2 or BC coilovers. Much better than stock suspension. You won't have to worry about anything going because everything will be brand new. You'll see a night a day difference compared to just slapping on springs on your car. Also, you will be able to eliminate weight in all 4 corners of the car. Do it right once ! Good luck ! BTW you can get any of the 3 coilovers between $8-930 shipped best bang for the buck..
I disagree that D2's are better then stock and that you won't have anything to worry about.

- andrew
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

I would get what you have working before spending too much money. Your rear trailing arm bushings are definitely broken, which will make the car vague and wiggle around in turns a lot. Mine lasted 3k mi., replace them with upgraded aftermarket items. Replacing front control arm bushings and rear suspension bushings will also tighten up the car and make it feel good again.

Adding a bigger rear sway bar and a good alignment is a must. Have the alignment guy make sure nothing is bent from potholes, etc.

I'm not sure how long stock struts last before they start to deteriorate, but there are lots of low mileage stock sets lying around from race cars like mine that you can pick up cheap and see if that gets you where you want to be.

If you want to track, good coilovers are always worth the money, but the quality of the shock was what determines both the quality of the ride and the quality of the handling.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
Adding a bigger rear sway bar and a good alignment is a must. Have the alignment guy make sure nothing is bent from potholes, etc.
Let me first say that USTCC evo is giving you(OP) a lot of good advices and is very knowledgeable. A good alignment is an absolute must.

However, I have to disagree with the first part of that statement that says that adding a bigger rear bar is also required to get the car handling properly.

First, it can be done with the right spring rates and adding a bigger rear bar by itself is removing rear grip to balance the evo's tendency to push. Secondly evos with bigger rear bar tripod more or longer delaying the ability to put power down.

I feel that this common procedure on evos is a quick fix that fails to attack the real problem that is in the front.

The front heavy evo is camber challenged, and has way too much body roll, wich forces the car to loose even more of the needed camber due to the suspension geometry.

Good shocks or coilovers mated with springs that keep roll in check without screwing the Roll center and the motion ratio is in my opinion what the car mainly needs. As a matter of fact I would put a bigger front bar on a stockish evo before a rear one because it would keep the front flatter and get rid of some of the understeer, not remove the rewarding rear grip.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 04:06 PM

well if you want a cheap drop do springs. but if you want to be happy do coilovers. your car will improve by 200% throw in a rear sway take out the front and enjoy drifting lol.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jwblack911
well if you want a cheap drop do springs. but if you want to be happy do coilovers. your car will improve by 200% throw in a rear sway take out the front and enjoy drifting lol.
Wow, I hope you're kidding because that is the kind of advice that leads people to wasting their money and not get the kind of results expected.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

For performance with the daily driver in mind: JIC FLT A2, or the newer version.

For the daily driver looking to upgrade: Bilstein.

Like usual the OEM parts are, and can be, hundreds of dollars higher than the JICs, however, the difference is the feeling of riding a horse with a saddle, and one without. Every day you will be reminded by your joy of modding you’re EVO, and you will certainly feel it too (w/ the JICs).

If you have never had the MR Bilsteins on your car than your really can't be given an opinion on, that will ultimately make them seem better than any other suspension setup, however, at 33k on my Bilsteins, the non-MR shocks are still light years away from the performance, and comfortable ride provided from these struts.

The Bilsteins are a very well rounded shock, with concentration set on reducing the knife edge, harsh, ride quality that the non-MR EVO shocks are known for, in fact, I don't even see how the non-MR shocks don't shatter your teeth. I was amazed when I jumped in my friends new X, I instantly asked if he had modded his suspensions- it was that rough.

Last edited by SHIFTT IX MR; Aug 2, 2008 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: new suspension