Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Continental Extreme Contact

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Continental Extreme Contact

Just installed a set of Continental Extreme contact all season tires on stock rims for my 'winter' tires. They seem to be a good all season compromise.

· Cornering and stopping seems almost as good as the Advans
· They are quieter
· They seem to soak up the urban potholes and ruts a bit better
· The car does lean more which probably indicates a lowering of ultimate cornering power

Overall I think, a decent and comparatively inexpensive choice as a foul weather and commuter tire. Will send an update when winter sets in.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Good choice of tires. I will be doing the same this winter. The cold weather rating on those tires is as good as a "winter" tire, but they are really good. ONe of the best reviews of a tire on tire rack. Where are you at in the burbs? Is this Hai?
Old Aug 24, 2003, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about getting a set for myself too. I actually talk to Continental at a show booth. The guy highly recommeded these tires. How much did you paid for a set of 4 tires?

Tire rack is selling these tire for ~$110 each.

Still have at least 2 month left before winter hit NE area.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:34 AM

Went with a recomendation from Neal at tire rack where I bought the tires. Had them installed by one of his recommended installers in Elgin. Overall nice 4 day order-to-install process. Have put another 100 miles on the tires over the weekend and I am really happy I made the change. The Advans are a great ultimate tire, but our roads suck. The Contis take some of the harshness out without sacrificing much I need in the handling department. Both my wife and I feel this was a good change. And I still have another set of the advans for next summer fun. Boost on!
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I was thinking of them as well.... I want to know how they handle in the snow.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:41 AM

Neal indicated these were a 'new' tire so they have not done much testing , however Continental has indicated they should be quite good. Looks like we will have to wait and see. If they are really nasty, I guess I'll just have to mount dedicated snows!!!
Old Aug 25, 2003, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Willyd - Glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with The Tire Rack and our installer!

From the little bit of winter these tires saw (very tail end of spring snow fall) and the overall tread design/compounds of the tire, we predict this will be the better snow tire in the Performance All Season class. Its also the newest technology on the market which allows for better tread wear, ride comforts, and peformance. I put these on a car of mine as well so I'm just as anxious to see how the snow traction is.

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Aug 25, 2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:24 PM

Hey Neal,
How do you think the Contis will compare to the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S all-season? The Pirellis are surveyed to be #1 on your site; but judging from the other post about the regular PZ's, they might not be the right tire for the EVO.

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Its interesting because these are both fairly new tires to the market. I would compare the Pirelli's snow traction to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S rather than the Conti. Overall performance is extremely close. I would give the dry and wet weather upper hand to the Pirelli. Tread design allows for more dry grip and steering response vs the Conti. The Pirelli would prob be a better tire in a minimal snow climate (souther states), while the Conti would handle more snow better (northern states).

Both tires will work with the EVO just fine, both are compatible with the car. It all depends on what you want out of the tire and where you live.

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Aug 25, 2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

What size did you go with? Stock size? I have heard other talking about moving up to a 50 series from the 45's.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:08 AM
Former Sponsor

The 235/50-17 is a full inch larger in diameter than the stock tire. This might cause some fitment issues with the current EVO. We have found that it is best to use the stock 235/45-17
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Neal do evolutionm.net members get any kind of discount or free shipping of any kind?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Many moderators on may boards have been approached for discounts in the past. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any discounts on shipping rates or items. Even if I sell a large quantity to an individual over the phone no discounts apply. We always try to put our best price out there initially so there is no haggling. Many times we come out better, sometimes we dont. It all depends on the product. Sorry guys/gals, its just not my decision.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Neal@tirerack.
The 235/50-17 is a full inch larger in diameter than the stock tire. This might cause some fitment issues with the current EVO. We have found that it is best to use the stock 235/45-17
Why in the world wont these fit?
There isnt much difference is there?

Also how many miles are you going to get out of these tires?

I plan on putting these on around Oct. and scrap the advans. I dont plan on rotating these tires for only 2 more months of use and what another 5,000 miles.

These tires can be used all year round correct?
And how many miles can one get with these under NORMAL driving conditions?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

I dont know the specifics behind it, but my fitment team has not given the greenlight on 235/50-17 for the EVO.

With the Conti in mind, standard driving with proper rotations and alignment you should see around 40K with them. Now we all know there is a fudge factor there depending on your driving style, however, that would be the average life. This tire is performance all season oriented. So, you can drive it all year round, even in the snow.

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact