Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

whats a good "in between" suspension?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats a good "in between" suspension?

My 04 GSR has about 94k on the stock suspension. I've been autoxing & doing HPDE's for a little over a year now and I think I'm to the point where upgrading my suspension will help me be more competative as well as have more fun.

The dilema I'm having is that I'm not quite ready yet to step-up to a $3k dollar set of coils for the car. its not so much about the money part as it is about wanting to be able to drive the car well enough to justify that kind of upgrade... if that makes any sense. Basically, if I put that kind of setup on the car I want to be able to use all of it, not drive 6/10th's on a 10/10th's suspension.

So, I'm looking for a happy medium to bridge the gap between the stock suspension and a top of the line suspension until my driving warrants it.

Other info that might help with suggestions:

no suspension/handeling mods done what-so-ever, everything is bone stock.
I only run on street tires (either RE01-R's or comparable tires) & stock rims
this is my daily driver, so it see's all weather conditions from 100* heat to 6-8" snow.
I put about 5k miles per year on the car.
I autox about 1-2 month.
I HPDE about once a month.
only mods are TBE, flash & MBC @ 21psi.

I'd like to hear experienced peoples suggestions/input. Heck, maybe suspension isn't the way to go, maybe I should do a rear swaybar or something else... LMK what you think.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think you already know the answer. GTWORX, Works, or Swift springs and be done with it. (with camber plates up front)

I'm still trying to decide between which swifts i want.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:55 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I have the megan street coilovers and I love them as DD suspension - only 900$ and I had them for a year, no problems.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say the PIC TSOs would be your choice. $1500 or so for a full coilover setup that has all the R&D put into it already. It will make you competitive with or faster than many on the expensive setups while making you much faster than those who opt for a simple springs+rsb setup.

You will rock at auto-x and HPDE events while maintaining daily driveability without hassle. All you'll need is to get a good alignment and off you go...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I was were you where over a year ago. We are on a similar summer race schedule. But I drive 10-20k per year.

Swift Springs, HD struts, Swift Sways - driven everyday, on the track, AXing

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=343046

Videos of the car in action: http://www.youtube.com/user/smikeevo
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
some megan coilovers do a great job for the price. Usually can be picked up for about $600-750 used and then resell-able after you upgrade for the same price.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Smike, how does that combo compare to the PIC TSOs in terms of price and performance? I would think the custom TSO coilovers would outperform while costing a similar amount. I run stock sways on my Ohlins setup, since they don't need to be changed with good spring rates and valving.

EVOizmm, the Megans are just plain coilovers, and they aren't that cheap unless used maybe. They can't be resold for the same price as new - that's a bit much.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Coilovers have to be rebuilt and they are not meant to be used daily. Eventually, you could have problems (rust/wear).

Yes, they may outpreform, but the buyer has to ask him/herself - is a coilover really what I need. In the end, its about what is best for you. The OPs low mileage - maybe he can get away with running coilovers year round. Or swapping in the winter time. I dont think most that get coilovers do enough homework into why/what they need.

This is a thread Andrew started to get people to think about why/what they get:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=365631
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

YEah, with 5k/year, I didn't see it as a problem for him. I've had my Ohlins on as my DD (8-10k/yr) for 2 years with tons of racing without needing a rebuild yet. If he doesn't want to be competitive relative to his class, then I think the spring/rsb combo is fine, but if he wants to get superior performance for the money spent, I think a coilover setup is best.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not set on coils. I'm just looking for something I can grow into over the next year or two. if a spring/strut combo will allow me to do that, while still being competative thats fine. if a coilover could perform as well as a spring/strut combo but allow me even MORE room to grow I'd likely go that route.

I've done some research on the PIC combo and it seems like a wise choice at the moment. until warr. posted about it I had never heard of them before...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

It wouldn't be "as well as"...it would be better with a higher ceiling as well. I went straight from stock to a full race setup. I didn't need years to grow into it. I just went out and drove the living dog mess out of it...improving each day.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

did some thinking and research over the last week and came up with some answers.

I decided that since my stock suspension has 93k it wouldn't make any sense to just upgrade the springs since the stock struts life is questionable with that amount of mileage.

Upgrading then to a new spring/strut combo made more sense but that would likely end with me just needing to upgrade to coilovers within a year or two as my skills progressed.

it makes the most sense then to step up to a full coilover setup.

I've been shopping around and talking to different people who aggressively track their EVO's and have decided to go with a set of Ohlins DFV's. its not the cheapest option by far but I'm hopefull in the long run it will pay off since it will be the only suspension I'll ever buy for my car.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

bah, the deal on the ohlins fell through, so I'm going to be running on the stock gear until the beginning of next season... at least.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

I would look into the Robispec KW coilovers. $2300 for Streets. $2800 for Clubsports. The difference being how aggressive the valving to suit the spring rates. Btw, these are all made to custom fit your type of driving (spring rates).
Old Sep 16, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

I have a friend who had the Robi KW's and he wasn't too happy with them.

Quick Reply: whats a good "in between" suspension?