Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

all season tires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2003, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tires will be a mess in the snow. I drove them in heavy rain and they did well (at least as well as my S-03s did on my S2K).
Old Sep 6, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: advans??

Originally posted by jess
I only have 2k on my stock tires, how will they hold up in the rain and occasional snow trips to the ski resorts?
The OEM Advan's are "Summer Only". They should never, under any circumstances be driven in any kind of snow. The rubber compound looses adhesion rapidly as the temperature drops, even on dry pavement. in fact advises the tires should not be used in temps below 32 degrees F. There is also very little grooving and absolutely no siping in that tire for traction on slippery surfaces. If you plan to go within sight of snow switching to one of the afforementioned all-season tire designs is MANDATORY.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 04:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by wmcorcor
I had Avids (T4) on my Eclipse GSX. The snow traction was acceptable and I made it through a rough winter with them. The handling was ok, perhaps slightly less than the original Goodyears. The tred wear was dissapointing. I was nice to them and they didn't even last 12K for me.
Yeah, they aren't too bad. I would say they are a very mild performance based tire. Think of it as the "Jack of all trades, master of none" tire. Introductory performance all season that tries to perform a bit of everything at once. Not bad, but there are better out there. Should have worn a lot longer than 12K though.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 04:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: advans??

Originally posted by Mark F

The OEM Advan's are "Summer Only". They should never, under any circumstances be driven in any kind of snow. The rubber compound looses adhesion rapidly as the temperature drops, even on dry pavement. in fact advises the tires should not be used in temps below 32 degrees F. There is also very little grooving and absolutely no siping in that tire for traction on slippery surfaces. If you plan to go within sight of snow switching to one of the afforementioned all-season tire designs is MANDATORY.

I second that