Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My massive suspension question brain dump...pls. pic off a question or two!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After installing the roll center kit, do you need an alignment or corner balance?

When working with the suspension mods discussed in this thread (struts/spring or coilovers, F/R bars, roll center kit) is there anything you should be extra careful with so that your car does not have any oversteer/understeer issues?

GTworx, do I remember correctly that you have a good write up on the front sway bar install somewhere?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
After installing the roll center kit, do you need an alignment or corner balance?

When working with the suspension mods discussed in this thread (struts/spring or coilovers, F/R bars, roll center kit) is there anything you should be extra careful with so that your car does not have any oversteer/understeer issues?

GTworx, do I remember correctly that you have a good write up on the front sway bar install somewhere?
Yes, you need an alignment after that install. You could get away without doing another cornerbalance.

Important things to consider I would say are your alignment and tire pressures. These are surprisingly overlooked after people do big suspension installs on their street car, but shoot for -1.8-ish up front, 1.0 to -1.5 rear, and zero toe for a street car. I would also try not to go TOO big on the rear sway bar.

PM me for the write-up on the front bar.

- Andrew
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remember if you do the RCK it will put you in the Street Modified class. Not a big deal unless you are a PAX pansy.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Yes, you need an alignment after that install. You could get away without doing another cornerbalance.

Important things to consider I would say are your alignment and tire pressures. These are surprisingly overlooked after people do big suspension installs on their street car, but shoot for -1.8-ish up front, 1.0 to -1.5 rear, and zero toe for a street car. I would also try not to go TOO big on the rear sway bar.

PM me for the write-up on the front bar.

- Andrew
I'm currently planning on going with the Works 26mm/24mm sway bars (picked up a used works rear bar a while ago). It sounds like those are the sizes that you recommend.

I'm currently running -2.5 front and -1.0 in the rear with zero toe. Would it be better to go with a -2.0/-1.5-ish type set-up for a weekend warrior type car (similar to what the original thread poster was describing)???

You also have a PM for the front sway bar install instructions. Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What tires? What events?

-2.5 might be a bit much on street tires. But its good on r-comps. Their grip rolls over the tire a little more than street tires are able to.

I like a little more rear camber to help rotate the car and keep the tires from rolling over around tight turns. Depends on the driver/event though.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

What would be optimal camber and toe for my setup (HD Bilsteins, GTWORX Springs, 235/45 Z1s, Whiteline sways) and backroads twisties/occasional trackday in your opinion? How would it change when running 255 Z1s?

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry... the car was originally being set up for STU. I'm currently still wearing out the stock yokos, but will be going with Z1s next year, stock size.

Now I'm at the point where I just want to mod the car to what I want to do, not mod to SCCA rules and autoX for fun while picking up a few lapping days each year. I'm going to continue to stay on street tires and like having a car that you can drive to the track, set the coilovers, set the tire pressure and go whether its a track day or solo event.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry Bster13, not trying to thread jack, I'll quit posting my personal questions.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

No skin off my back....looks like we have similar needs...I want the setup that can do it all as well, that's why I opted for the HD Bilstein/Sway bar/ GTWORX setup so it works well in all situations without messing with too much. Post on!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bster13
What would be optimal camber and toe for my setup (HD Bilsteins, GTWORX Springs, 235/45 Z1s, Whiteline sways) and backroads twisties/occasional trackday in your opinion? How would it change when running 255 Z1s?

Thanks.
Set the camber bolt for the more negative setting....which is around -1.8 to -2.0 up front. Zero toe all around and around -1.5 in the rear.

With 255 Z1's keep it there....camber plates would help you get more, but you would start compromising tire wear past around -2.0 degrees.

- Andrew
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spool4Fun
Sorry... the car was originally being set up for STU. I'm currently still wearing out the stock yokos, but will be going with Z1s next year, stock size.

Now I'm at the point where I just want to mod the car to what I want to do, not mod to SCCA rules and autoX for fun while picking up a few lapping days each year. I'm going to continue to stay on street tires and like having a car that you can drive to the track, set the coilovers, set the tire pressure and go whether its a track day or solo event.
I agree with Smike. And you have camber plates right? Set the front camber bolts to the more negative setting and use the plates to get what you want. If you're okay with the tire wear that -2.5 up front gets you I might keep it there.

But 2.0 or so is fine if that's an issue. -1.5ish in the rear should be good for you.

And actually, if you have plates and aren't looking for more then -2.5 degrees camber, I'd rotate/swap them and angle them for as much caster as you can get.

- Andrew
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bster13
No skin off my back....looks like we have similar needs...I want the setup that can do it all as well, that's why I opted for the HD Bilstein/Sway bar/ GTWORX setup so it works well in all situations without messing with too much. Post on!
Thanks Bster13!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I agree with Smike. And you have camber plates right? Set the front camber bolts to the more negative setting and use the plates to get what you want. If you're okay with the tire wear that -2.5 up front gets you I might keep it there.

But 2.0 or so is fine if that's an issue. -1.5ish in the rear should be good for you.

And actually, if you have plates and aren't looking for more then -2.5 degrees camber, I'd rotate/swap them and angle them for as much caster as you can get.

- Andrew
Yes, I have camber plates. I never even thought of using camber plates to increase caster, that's a pretty cool idea.

Is there anything else besides the roll center kit and front sway bar that I should install when I have the front part of the car apart? Since it is such a painful install I want to make sure and get it right the first time.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

When choosing a front and rear bar combo, is it best to stick with the same manufacturer for both bars? GTworx has recomended 26mm front, 24mm rear, but would there be any reason you couldn't go with a Whiteline front bar and a different manufacturer for a rear bar?

Earlier Andrew said the swift bars were a little softer than the whiteline bars, but is the difference enough to change handling characteristics?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I prefer to stick with the same manuf. as they are designed for each other. But in the end it comes down to driver feel.

Quick Reply: My massive suspension question brain dump...pls. pic off a question or two!!!