Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

When to put on winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have yet to have any ice so far, but I'm kind of pumped wishing it would snow now-the school parking lot near me is going to be some fun practice. We moved here 3 years ago and this year is the first year of it being a daily driver, so it should be fun.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I put mine on in Nov here in NJ. No significant snow yet except for the freak squall in Oct.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snafufx
Well guess I might as well do it. The last thing I want is to get caught off guard and hav eno snow and the tires dry rot. I just checked the tires and they are in fact Hankook Icebears W300. They've been in my storage shed since I purchased the car last year, so wasn't sure the brand.
The icebear tires are great. This is going to be my fourth season with them and the tread looks almost brand new. I usually keep them on for about 5 months each season. The tires handle decently for a snow tire in all conditions.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll throw up a review after the season and determine if I'll keep buying these or not. What really surprised me was that it doesn't have as much road noise as I anticipated. I just figured it would sound and feel like knobby tires, but have been impressed so far.