Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

When to put on winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When to put on winter tires?

I've been searching around trying to find an answer to no avail. I live in good ole southern Maryland where the winter weather varies from day to day from mid 50's to low of 20s in the mornings, but no snow or ice (yet). We barely get any snow in this area and if we do, it's plowed up quickly. I have a set of Blizzack snow tires on stock VIII rims and debating on whether or not I should throw them on. What I gathered was my summer tires (Potenzas) lose traction below 40 degrees, but also that snow tires tend to wear quicker on dry surfaces. Would it be beneficial for me to throw my Blizzack's on these cold winters on a dry surface or just keep using my summer tires? I just don't want to put these on and have them wear out driving on dry pavement most the time. I should have gotten all season tires, so when the winter tires die, I guess I could put them on the stock rims for colder weather and to keep my BBS' clean. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by snafufx; Dec 14, 2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't you rather wear your winter tires out and be safe or leave on your summer tires and get in a accident,wreck your car costing you alot more money and headache.Maybe you should have gotten some all season tires instead of Blizzacks.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah but they came free when I purchased the car, so did not have that option. I don't want to sell them out and get all seasons, but don't want to get stuck in some ice or snow *if* there's ever any. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to put these on and just drive with them during winter months even though it stays pretty dry here.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Last weekend . . . Seriously, if you count the number of months you'll run the snow tires, add up the mileage, you may own these longer than they'll last before they start to dry rot sitting around in your garage (Assuming you're not putting on thousands of miles a month). I run my snow tires to save my all-seasons, not the other way around. Plus, it’s always better to be safe than sorry as they say.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Put them on! It's the middle of December, and you guys are bound to get some snow soon. We've already had 2 blizzards in the state here this year, so I'd rather be prepared than get caught off guard!

Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If its getting down into the 20's, even with no snow or ice yet, its definitely winter tire time.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's better to be safe than sorry. you don't want to go out for an evening and get caught off guard.

i always hate switching to the snow tires. it's like officially giving up on summer and spirited driving, but it must be done.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Get some performance winter tires. I will say, my Hankook W300's and my dad's Dunlop Winter Sport M3's handle really well considering they are snow tires. Frankly, they feel better than a lot of high performance all-seasons I've driven on which I can live with for a few months every year.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Well guess I might as well do it. The last thing I want is to get caught off guard and hav eno snow and the tires dry rot. I just checked the tires and they are in fact Hankook Icebears W300. They've been in my storage shed since I purchased the car last year, so wasn't sure the brand.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

They're good tires. Mine are on their 3rd winter so they're going to need replacing after this season, but they are still performing well in the snow for me.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got Hankooks, too. They work fine. I bet the winter in MD is a lot like the winter in CT (Except for the NW CT hills).
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

I ended up putting them on and they felt good on the street. Now it just looks odd with stock VIII rims on my ride but at least I don't have to worry. I should have done like everyone else and had them power coated black but this will have to do it. Thanks again for everyones assistance, now I won't have to worry about being another statistic.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by snafufx
I ended up putting them on and they felt good on the street. Now it just looks odd with stock VIII rims on my ride but at least I don't have to worry. I should have done like everyone else and had them power coated black but this will have to do it. Thanks again for everyones assistance, now I won't have to worry about being another statistic.

Good choice man! Enjoy 'em! I've got a taste test of my first dedicated winter set of tires this year, and there is no going back! Hopefully you guys get some snow out there soon so you can really enjoy your evo in the winter!

Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Typical install time for snow tires is Thanksgiving and removal around tax season. Regardless of ice/snow on the road surface, I wouldn't have summers on in temps below 40 deg. Glad to see you took the summers off.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I live above you in MD and mine went on a couple weeks ago. We had some ice this past weekend, so I know that snow is only weeks or a strong wind from the lake effect snow away...