Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What Happened? One Side 1/2" lower than the other.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Happened? One Side 1/2" lower than the other.

I noticed that the rear of my car started to have a lowered look. I then took some measurements. It seems that the drivers rear dropped by 1/2". Other 3 corners are as they should be. WTF? I did not notice this last year, so it must of happened over the winter. Took more measurements from the floor to the bolts on the control arms and they appear to be the same on both sides. Took out the trunk carpet to look at the top strut mounts, and they appear to be identical. No signs of potential problems from the top. I have not jacked up the car yet or taken anything apart.

Car: 06 IX
Miles: Only 11K!!!!, driven on average 5 times/week, so it is not like the car sits for weeks on end.
Suspension Mods: None. Totally stock.
Accidents: No. Had the car since 3 miles.
Weird tire wear: No.
Suspension clunking: No.
Handling Issues: No.
Blown shocks: Not that I can tell. I don't get any bounce on the bounce test. No leaks.

The only thing I can think of is a spring that started to sag or some issue with the spring seat or top bearing or bushing. Did anyone experience this before and what was your cause? Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails What Happened? One Side 1/2" lower than the other.-height-diff.jpg  
Old Mar 8, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Looked into the suspension some more (car on ground, suspension compressed), and both sides are seated properly on the spring perches. I then measured from the bottom spring perch up to the last coil before the rubber top mount. The drivers side measures ~1/2" lower. This to me indicates a problem with the spring as opposed to the top mount or bushing. The spring must be defective or it started to sag. It seems very odd to me, usually springs don't go bad, do they?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Wow... no advice from anyone? Am I the only one that this problem ever happened to?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You could have a bad spring. All springs sag, some a lot and some very little. Before blaming the spring I'd suggest you eliminate other possibilities such as a low tire, suspension problems or body misalignment. Is there heavy stuff in the trunk?

A half inch sag is probably something I'd just live with. Most DSMs were a half inch low on the drivers side new.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

do you have factory suspension?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

yes.
Suspension Mods: None. Totally stock.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input... answers below.

Originally Posted by barneyb
...such as a low tire,
Definitely not tire pressure. See yellow reference line in picture. If the tire was low, the two sides would not be the same at that point.

suspension problems or
Like what? I can only think of the top strut mount bushing as the only other option, but I kind of eliminated that by measuring the compressed spring coils on both sides and finding one side shorter. If they would have been equal, it would suggest something with the bushing or top mount bearing, no?

body misalignment.
Please expand on this idea.... you mean like frame bent? How could that have happened. No accidents, no pot holes hit.

Is there heavy stuff in the trunk?
nothing except for the spare tire.

A half inch sag is probably something I'd just live with. Most DSMs were a half inch low on the drivers side new.
interesting... so are there others with the same problem on their EVO's?