Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The myth of the warped rotors...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The myth of the warped rotors...

Not a myth...! at least not in my case...

got the car back from the dealer today, and it drives like a ****in dream... no more wheel shaking...! I can actually drive the car hard and feel confident...!

I had the pads replaced and the rotors skimmed, back the week after i had bought the car, cause there was pad transfer from some ******* who must have test driven it...

the cars brakes were not that great from day one, and the progressively got worse... to the point where i didn't even want to drive the thing...

now with the new rotors installed, this thing is a monster...!

still have the same pads as when i went it, so we'll see how it turns out from here... if i have to go back in there again for the brakes, i'm smelling a lemon...!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 08:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I think the point of the Stop Tech article is that you may develop a non-uniform surface or a taper on the rotor, but it's not the rotor warping, it's uneven wear.

For anyone who doesn't know what the thread title is in reference to....

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Last edited by HobieKopek; Sep 26, 2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

It's still a myth. The reason your shaking vanished was they skim-cut the rotors to remove those deposits. If they gave you the same pads, I predict your shudder will return.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt
It's still a myth. The reason your shaking vanished was they skim-cut the rotors to remove those deposits. If they gave you the same pads, I predict your shudder will return.
i have new rotors on now, thanks...
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:12 AM

no need to roll eyes on the above comment... he was just saying that since you have the same pads, then most likely your issue will come back....
Old Sep 26, 2003, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I read this:
I had the pads replaced and the rotors skimmed
but missed this:
now with the new rotors installed
I still predict you'll be seeing your service manager again in the future about it (if they replaced your pads with the same thing). I wish I knew *exactly* what it is about those pads that's causing the problem. I've never seen so many complaints of this nature about any pad ever.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Attached Thumbnails The myth of the warped rotors...-yodawarped.jpg  
Old Sep 26, 2003, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jemm

well, if i have to go back again, there's gonna be hell to pay...
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt
I read this:

but missed this:

I still predict you'll be seeing your service manager again in the future about it (if they replaced your pads with the same thing). I wish I knew *exactly* what it is about those pads that's causing the problem. I've never seen so many complaints of this nature about any pad ever.
I had this kind of problem with my first S4, as did many other S4 owners. The issue seemed to revolve around the deposits left when the emergency brakes were applied when the car had been driven in the rain, or had just been to the car wash.

After releasing the handle, the brakes would hang, then "pop" real loud as they broke free. I had this happen more than a couple of times with my first S4, and had some major brake shudder. By the time I bought my second S4 I had read about this, and avoided setting the parking brake while wet. I never had any issues to speak of, and have since always tried to avoid setting the parking brake wet in any of my cars if they are going to set for any length of time.

This may or may not be a similar issue impacting Evo's brakes as well.

N10S
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not too many realize that this warping of the rotors is magnified with the style of our calipers. Evo's have non-floating calipers (unlike 99% of cars made which have floating calipers with pistons only on one side) that are physically stationary, the only moving parts are the pistons. This design can give a higher pressure application to the rotor, but the downside is that since the caliper is stationary it will not "follow" the imperfections or warping of the rotor. This warping, which occurs in EVERY car I have ever worked on, is somewhat filtered with floating style calipers that ride on sliders or pins. With floating calipers not only do the pistons move but the caliper itself will also move with the imperfections. Brembos are a work of art, and they weren't compromised in their goal of performance, so warping may occur and it may have nothing to do with the brake system being faulty. I wouldn't change them for anything.

A simple drizzle can coat the rotors with rust and cause a brake pulsation. Its highly unlikely that these rotors are being warped because of heat. For that you would have had to beat on them on a racecourse, for a whole day. Heat like that cannot be duplicated on the street.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

any one ineterested in rotora kit? six pot in the front and four in the rear? letg me know im working out some info with them since they are sponsoring me and i might set up a group buy on them. pm me please if interested