Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bottom strut bolts won't come out

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottom strut bolts won't come out

So I tried to install new coilovers today and after taking an hour to just get the nuts of the bolts on the front struts the damn bolts will not come out. I tried everything from hammering to using pb blaster to even tryig freezing the rust off. They are definately a pain in my a#@ at the moment. I don't have any air tools just your normal wrenches. Has anybody else had this problem and how did they solve it. I'm trying not to have to pay to go somewhere to remove these bolts. Now the car does have 74000 miles and i'm sure this is the first time those bolts have tried to be removed. Thanks once again for any help.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 2 bolts that attach the strut to the spindle?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yes. The I believe they are like 21mm bolts near the brakes. The three bolts on top come off no problem but the 2 at the bottom are stuck in there so tight. I hammered on them for like half an hour and no movement what so ever.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put a wrench on the bolt part (not nut part) and smack it with a hammer a few times... just to loosen them up. Once they start turning with less resistance start taping them out from the other side while turning them. You may have to get another bolt or punch to get them out after they are halfway out.
All in all they should be easy to come out.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a breaker bar/pipe that will fit over the wrench...& have at it.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:12 PM

Warning/Caution@#@!#@#!!!!keep your body, hands, legs, arms, head, torso, etc clear of the frame rail as breaking the bolt may cause the vehicle to lower itself very quickly.
In the event you can't jostle them loose with the before mentioned techniques, spray your bolt/nut with penetrating oil, allow oil to soak, attach your socket to a breaker bar at least 1/2" drive), place your breaker bar and socket on the component to be removed, and place breaker bar handle securely on the lifting point of the floor jack. Slowly raise the floor jack and making contact with the handle of the breaker bar. The nut will eventually come loose after 3 to 4 pumps of the floor jack handle with the assistance of the vehicle weight.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Just did this on a friends 8... PB blaster, breaker bar (3/4" drive) + jack handle to extend the breaker bar and watch the fender. My shoulder still hurts from breaking the bottom bolt.

Remember that your top bolt (of the bottom 2) adjusts the camber. So make sure you have the arrow facing toward the same direction on both sides.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Don't just spray on the threads. Also spray down between the U-shaped mount of the strut and the spindle. That is where the bolt is "frozen". I also never had good luck with PB Blaster. I like this stuff called Kroil it works great but let it soak good. Use a breaker bar and a good long pipe of persuasion. Don’t just lean on the bar pull it in successions like an impact gun would hit it. Don’t be afraid to tighten too, you need to break the bond before it will release. Hope this helps so you don’t get ripped off by bringing it someplace.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

yeah with alot of persuassion the nuts came off. Now its just the bolts that don't want to come out. THey are frozen in there good and tight. I think I emptied half a can of PB on the blots and the strut and inbetween the struts on the beam. I had a braker bar which got the nuts off but there just isn'yt enough room to get some good force to bang out those bolts. I will try that Kroil stuff
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You'll need to torch the bolts to break the rust out. If you don't have a torch on hand, reassemble and run over to a local shop. Ask them to get the bolts out for you and reinstall. Then go back home to finish the job.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

So I know this is weird but a shout out to sears auto. I went in there and told them the situation. The gut said no problem and went to work. Even with the air tools, took him a little while for the left wheel but he got them out, lubed them up and reinstalled them. I asked him how much and he don't worry about paying as it doing this was far more interesting than work ing on a crappy chevy like he normally does.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Win!
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Be very careful with a torch around your struts. The strut tubes aren’t thick and you could get hurt pretty bad if accidentally blow a hole through the tube.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:07 PM
lem

glad to hear you finally got it out. i still remember how much my arms hurt when i did my springs. you should have put anti seize on the bolt to make it easier next time , i put anti seize on almost every bolt that i reinstall.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

oh believe me I put plenty on just to make sure. I don't want to break my back again trying to get those damn bolts off. on a side note the rears came off in like 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: Bottom strut bolts won't come out