Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Flushing brake system

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flushing brake system

This is a stupid newbie question but didn't see it anywhere when I searched. I'm doing the brakes for first time next weekend and saw that I should probably flush the fluid as well, even though I don't drive my car hard. To flush it, do I empty it as much as possible by bleeding air into it or do I just keep bleeding forever with a ton of new fluid added? (think I heard 16 or 32oz will do a complete flush)
Old May 15, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Let me start off by saying....please use the search button.

Secondly, DO NOT put air into the system.
Thirdly, 3 bottles of fluid will flush the system. Just bleed brakes and keep topping off the reservoir located by the master cylinder. Flush until the coilor of the new fluid appears at t5he end of the line. Rinse and repeat. There are procedures on how to do this, check the DIY section.

Enjoy.
Old May 16, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Usually I take a water bottle about 20 oz. stick it into the master cylinder and then let it sit there. This way I don't have to keep watching the fluid level. I was always taught to work from the furthest line away from the master cylinder and work your way foward. So it'd be Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front, in that order.
Old May 16, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr.almeida
Usually I take a water bottle about 20 oz. stick it into the master cylinder and then let it sit there. This way I don't have to keep watching the fluid level. I was always taught to work from the furthest line away from the master cylinder and work your way foward. So it'd be Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front, in that order.
I hope you do not mean to put water in the system, I think that was just a confusing sentence, so OP DO NOT put water in the system

Also, do not forget that we have 4 piston and 2 piston calipers that have pistons located on the outside and INSIDE of the caliper. Each caliper has two bleed points. The order above would be correct but go outers then inners on each caliper as well.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

a technique: use a different colored fluid (like ATE super blue). you'll know when the old fluid is flushed out when the different colored fluid starts pushing through. you'll be more certain that way and more efficient with how much fluid you use.

protostar, is it a requirement to go outer, then inner? (is that from the service manual, a technique, etc?)
Old May 18, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Please find the correct order in the following thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...uid-order.html