Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Raybestos vs. Posi-Quiet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Raybestos vs. Posi-Quiet

Alright guys, I need some opinions from the braking experts as this is my less knowledgable field in automotive. So at the moment I'm at the point of upgrading my brakes, so far I have new rotors and ss brakelines installed, I had purchased some Raybestos professional grade semi-metallic brake pads at the local shucks for an affordable price which I had set in mind to use these with my new set up.

Now, at the same time I also received a set of Posi-Quiet semi-metallic brake pads (which can be seen here http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...ucts/posiquiet) from my father that was helping me purchase some pads but he was unaware that I had already gone out and bought the Raybestos..

So.. obviously my situation is, which pads would be the better of the two in performance and quality as they both range around the same price, include shims and are both semi-metallic?? I have tried to do some research but I can't narrow any information down to a point and I can't quite find any information that really stands out or find more than one review, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight and if you have experience with these brands and their products to help me narrow down on what pads to use in my set up and maybe benefit those who are near or somewhat in the same predicament for these affordable brand of pads. Thanks!

(please only post if you have experience or can contribute to my situation, I don't want to read, "those suck," or "you should have got hawk pads," etc...)

Last edited by hksevoix; Jul 22, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Well not performance pads. Need to find out the MOT (Max Op Temp) and coefficient of drag (r). More than likely no reviews because most owners replace with other known pads.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

I would say neither. If your looking for a lower cost pad, I would go with EBC. Here is some pad info for you!

Street Pads
These are pads that are only meant to be run on the street or in autocross events. Again, they should never be taken out on the track.

Acceptable street only pads (I will post information that I know about them):
Satisfied GranSport GS5: 100-850F, .49 drag coefficient
Satisfied GranSport GS6: 100-700F, .42 drag coefficient
GiroDisc Magic: 150-850F
Ferodo DS2500: 100-1000F, .50 drag coefficient
Porterfield R4-S: 0-1000F (0-600F optimal), .4 drag coefficient
Brembo OEM pads
Racing Brake ET300
Performance Friction Z
Hawk HPS: 0-600F, low/no bite (glazed over on my street setup) PICS HERE
Hawk HP+: 0-700F, better bite can be noisy on street good for autocrossing
Axxis Ultimates/Rotora (ULT): 0-932F, .40 to .49 drag coefficient (true number unknown)

Acceptable track only pads - Street tires
Hawk HT10: 300-1300F, intermediate to high torque
Hawk HT14: 300-1400F, high torque
Porterfield R4: 100-1200F (100-900F optimal), .52 drag coefficient
Racing Brake ET700: 100-1200F, intermediate torque
Racing Brake ET800: 100-1400F, intermediate to high torque
Performance Friction 97's: 167-2000F, intermediate to high torque

Acceptable track only pads – R-comp tires or high hp
Hawk DTC60: 400-1600F, high torque
Hawk DTC70: 400-1600F, higher torque than 60's
Racing Brake ET900: 300-1600F, high torque
Performance Friction 01: 167-2000F, high torque
Carbotech XP12: 250 to 2000F, high torque
Raybestos ST43: ? to 1400F, high torque

Last edited by dambikeracer; Jul 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

edit

Last edited by hksevoix; Jul 26, 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: updated my post below
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

bump for more responses
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:45 AM

Dunno anything about Posi-Quiet, but I've used the Raybestos a good bit.

I've been happy with the Raybestos (in what is probably the same grade) on my buddy's old Neon and my mom's Aerostar. They are pretty good for normal cars in regular DD use: they had noticeably less fade than the oem pads on those cars (which isn't saying much).

We rag the hell out of the Neon - a '96 Expresso with the DOHC and upgraded disc package... It's tons of fun to throw around, and cheap to fix or replace ;-) But it's almost 1000# lighter than an Evo, has 150 less hp, and we don't take it to the mountains. I have noticed that hard braking from 100+ fades a good bit at the end, but we haven't glazed the pads or completely lost braking... Anyway, it's takes so long to get that car to 100 that it doesn't happen often.

BUT - I cooked (glazed) a set bombing a mountain road in my PGT years ago. It was a great test of my car control, but not a fun experience. I spend the next week learning about brakes - and big chunk of the next paycheck on an upgrade. My PGT was 400# lighter and had 100 less horsepower than an Evo...

Mind you, none of those cars four piston calipers and big discs with massive heat absorption... But none has the power of the Evo, and only mom's minivan has the weight. I seriously doubt those pads are adequate for an Evo that is every used seriously.

Before you go guinea pig, I really recommend you try to get pads from the recommended list here. They are tried and true, and will stop an Evo repeatedly. If you do choose to the Posi-quiets or "Pro" Raybestos, please be careful. Drive it like my mom: give it few days to cool down between hard stops from 65!
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

great response ^
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by hksevoix
I appreciate the reposted info courtesy of smike ^ but this is a daily driven vehicle that hardly sees track but what I'm looking for is within out of the two, not a neither answer. Not sure if anyone is aware but posi-quiet (centric) is branched within stoptech, raybestos is well known within nascar community aka "boring," but what I want to near down to is the greater value.
You're asking which is better, margarine A or margarine B. Well, the answer is real butter.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
You're asking which is better, margarine A or margarine B. Well, the answer is real butter.
Well put.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
If this is in mind of a pointless post to up your post count or to make your time worthy on evom then I appreciate the humor but in all respect this doesn't benefit me but bumping my thread therefore leaving others to follow upon your yellow brick road... this is the exact post that I boldly wrote in my OP that I did not want in my thread..

I guess I wasn't quite making my point or clear of my intentions so let me start over before I begin getting mockery responses, I'm requesting a response on experience or more so of quality preference as I'm sure almost none have even heard of posi-quiet or go to local shucks for pads, most people decide well let me spend my hard earn money for the brand name than to buy the cheaper pad that compares to equivilent qualities but pay more than they should for a pad. I understand my purchases may not compete what most would run (of those more knowledgable in the brakes and suspension) but just because I mention its a daily driver with little tracking doesn't mean I don't have intentions in seeing track. If I don't receive credible responses, then bite your tounges. I use this site as a resource not a myspace

Last edited by hksevoix; Jul 26, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

19'd

Originally Posted by hksevoix
If this is in mind of a pointless post to up your post count or to make your time worthy on evom then I appreciate the humor but in all respect this doesn't benefit me but bumping my thread therefore leaving others to follow upon your yellow brick road... this is the exact post that I boldly wrote in my OP that I did not want in my thread..

I guess I wasn't quite making my point or clear of my intentions so let me start over before I begin getting mockery responses, I'm requesting a response on experience or more so of quality preference as I'm sure almost none have even heard of posi-quiet or go to local shucks for pads, most people decide well let me spend my hard earn money for the brand name than to buy the cheaper pad that compares to equivilent qualities but pay more than they should for a pad. I understand my purchases may not compete what most would run (of those more knowledgable in the brakes and suspension) but just because I mention its a daily driver with little tracking doesn't mean I don't have intentions in seeing track. If I don't receive credible responses, then bite your tounges. I use this site as a resource not a myspace

WTF did you say? My head hurts.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Calm down.

He is saying that either pad wont be as good as using a pad that we recommend and have tested.

I have had scary experiences with cheap pads. I was working on a friends car with AutoZone Duralast pads in it and I cooked the pads in 3 stops to the point they did not work. Brakes are a safety matter, its your car and your life. We all recommend getting a proper pad. The GiroDisc Magics are cost effective and still work.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I didn't intend to mock you although I can see how you might take it that way.

I don't know if your car came to you new or used. As a new car it came with the best tires (in my opinion) that were ever put on a factory vehicle. The Brembo brakes with Brembo brake pads were also excellent although obviously they used a street pad (the pads had tons of cold bite). The combination made the Evo quite an enjoyable fling about. If you bought your Evo new then you know all of this but if it came to you used then maybe not. Some flabby tires and bad pads will make your Evo into a completely different and not much fun car.

I know from personal experience that when it comes to replacing these consumable parts it is hard to stomach the big price. Sometimes it just isn't economically possible. But, we are here to show you the options available we know about that work.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Now I appreciate a respectable answer, I'm not one to make threads often but when I do its because I'm in need of help or in need of learning when all other resource an research I do runs dry. I don't mean to seem uptight or unfriendly. All I expect is directed material that can assist me in making a wise and proper choice, although I'm a walmart shopper and I prefer great value over brand names (lol) doesn't mean I can't put out the extra dollars for a better product. As for pads I'm leaning more towards posi-quiet, I guess I'd like to see and hope to expect similar performance compared between better known and higher priced pads, but because many are unfamiliar with this brand, I don't expect stoptech to dissapoint. If anyone else would like to chime in please feel free to do so.

Thanks and cheers!

Quick Reply: Raybestos vs. Posi-Quiet