Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Can't find plain replacement rotors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't find plain replacement rotors

Ok when my brake pads wore out I had the stock rotors resurfaced and Hawk Pads installed. Well the hawks were loud, obnoxious, dusty and after about 10k miles the front rotors started getting grooves and now they're warped. I can't have them resurfaced because Les Schwab tire center said after the last resurface that they'll be at minimum and won't be think enough to be resurfaced again. Now I have to drop a lot of cash to replace all the rotors and pads.

I'm trying to replace the rotors with a plain set so that I can resurface them in the future but it seems everywhere I look, I can only find slotted or drilled rotors. I don't necessarily want a slotted set because I can't resurface them and I don't want drilled because I don't want to worry about the extra chance that they can crack.

I've been searching for the past few hours and I've come up with little. I've found this: http://www.perfectbrakes.com/products.asp?cat=3257 (EBC Ultimax plain rotors) but I haven't found any reviews.

I've even had a hard time finding a store that sells plain OEM replacement Brembos. Can anyone out there help me out with a link or a store? Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.maperformance.com/rotorpr...o-viii-ix.html
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
RotorPro, Girodisc, Stoptech - all make plain rotors. Contact MAPerformance or Girodisc or EVOBrakes for their rotors.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.drt-sport.com/index.php

Again -- all using the same part numbers. Great rotors. Look sick - And they are amazing at performance -- i do not track the car - but I avoid deer on a daily basis here in western Pa.

Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Rotorpros or Girodisc Bailout rotors are what you need.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! Ok, wow, $244.99 for all 4 on maperformance.com is awesome compared to everything else I've been looking at. I have two questions and clear up my ignorance. 1) Can you resurface slotted rotors? 2) I was very unhappy with Hawk so I was thinking of going with EBC (Greens perhaps?) brake pads. Any other suggestions?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

See my sticky on pads. EBC Greens are good though.

Most shops wont do slotted. And after having slotted - stay plain. I saw no increase. Modern pads do not need degassing like the old pads did.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have a good selection of rotors as well for the EVO.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want a basic rotor; check out KNS Brakes. They make a 'blank' copy that is at a very good pricepoint. I've been running them on the track this year, so they're just fine!

Also, the Girodisc bailout special seemed like a great deal.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:03 PM

Ok, I'm looking at Rotorpros or the Girodisc BailoutSpecial. Whether I'm going Slotted/Drilled or just Plain I'm not 100% sure on yet. All my friends are badgering me to do slotted and drilled "Because it'll look sick" but I have advice from a Moderator (who I assume knows his brakes) that it doesn't matter.

EBC Greens seem to be my pad of choice. I'll also be picking up shims as well http://www.girodisc.com/catalog/prod...adcd6e20637291

Should I be considering the brake fluid as well to make this replacement more reliable or will stock do me just fine? I won't be tracking it any time soon that I know of. It'll be for street and some autocross fun.

Any, all feedback is welcome. Thanks for all your help so far guys. You've all made this process much better for me. I thought I was going to have to drop $900 just for parts.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Brake fluid if you have not bled the brakes in 2 years.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not use the Centric blanks? They are very inexpensive and available practically everywhere.

d
Old Sep 1, 2009, 07:06 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the bailout special from Girodisc, and order a can of ATE Super Blue and call it a day. You;ll have decent brakes for under 300, which in my opinion, is a deal and a half!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 01:25 AM

Gentlemen, again thanks for the input but I have some sad news. During lunch I thought "Damn, I forgot to order those brakes, I better do that the moment I get back to work." Well I never made it back. An SUV was stopped in front of the library in the right lane of a two lane one way street so assuming it was stopping for a pedestrian I couldn't see, I pulled up next to the SUV (I was in the left lane) and stopped. The driver of the SUV then proceeded to make a lane change into the left lane and gunned it and didn't see me. She hit me first on the front passenger wheel and proceeded to shave the front of my car off.

The appraisal happens tomorrow. Guess I don't have to finish the wing any time soon. The damage was extensive and my friends and I are estimating at least $5k in parts alone, perhaps more if there's underlying damage. She hit me and after she hit me she kept going and if you look at the picture you'll see I'm not parallel to the road, she pushed me that far.

*Sigh* I'm a pretty sad panda right now.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn that sucks!

Quick Reply: Can't find plain replacement rotors