Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire chains

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
me personally im not putting any type of chains on my evo, with summer tires especially. It may work but just doesn't sound like a "good idea" maybe drive something else if available..
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for all your imputs guys! im leaving on the 27th to oregon from fremont,ca so time is limited, i have ACD in my evo so i guess i buying chains and no cables?, i wish i could drive something else :[ i have 3 cars and dont drive 2 of them because one is a show car, and another is not running , evo my only option :[...how much are the fabric chains?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you may have missed the boat on this one. As others here have said, you do not want to drive any car, on any road that will get below freezing on Summer Tires.

There's a reason summer tires come with those explicit warnings about not driving on them anywhere near freezing temperatures. Trust me, I know firsthand. When I moved out here from Alabama I was driving on summer race tires. Even though the roads were perfectly clean without a trace of snow, it was still below freezing, and if you can imagine an evo on ice skates, that was me just trying to make it to my new home in one piece. All seasons went on the next day.

So the moral of the story is this: it doesn't matter whether you have chains or not, your stated summer tires are going to be dangerous regardless of how much snow, or lack thereof is on the ground. So buy some cheap winter tires and have them mounted on a set of stock rims. Both can be found relatively cheaply in the classifieds here, and even though it is an expense, it is much cheaper than wrecking your car and potentially yourself and others around you.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

^ very true
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:45 PM

Fly there
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:45 PM

It was funny watching me drive around on my summer tires when this first blizzard hit here in Iowa. I was the holding up traffic like crazy. My Blizzaks came in and it made a world of difference. The locals up here in Iowa dont use CHains at all, but they did say if you going up any inclines, good idea to have them "just for the inclines". Guess I figured out why they dont use them here in Iowa (no serious inclines) LOL.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

i use potenza re70's all year round in PA it snows hear.. isnt that big of a deal
Old Dec 18, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Chains are excellent on packed snow too - maybe better there than on deep snow. However, the ride is rough.

For an Evo that is headed for snowy passes, I'd suggest a serious European style snow tire with the maximum amount of snipes and if the chains only signs are up, take a room and let the plows work. Watch TV and let other people have the accidents.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Check the Oregon DOT when you're getting ready to travel:

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap...ns&curRegion=7

Siskiyou will be the worst of it in Oregon, but the lower passes to the North of the Rogue Valley sometimes get some snow and ice too. You might find a window of time when you can travel through without freezing or sloppy conditions. When Siskiyou does gets bad, you will be required to have chains (aka cables) to travel there. Invest in some snow tires for the Evo, you won't regret it if you know you're going to see snow~lots of hills and turns on I5 Oregon in the South.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:21 AM

As Sleeperisah23i stated above. I have drivinig a Maine winter on the my old Evo IX's stock advans. As long as you drive slow in the snow they really arent as bad as everyone states; and they are definitely just fine on bare roads below freezing. I'm not saying I recommend it. If it has to be done just drive slow and use caution, and begin braking earlier. If you do end up buying chains, you will definitely be just fine with chains, and your summer tires
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kingofvacuity
Fly there
most seats are booked btw and its really expensive so i rather just drive.

thanks for everyones imputs
Old Dec 18, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the link GT-One!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:12 AM

umm, im heading to tahoe this monday with lm-25s.. will i be need a set of cables/chains?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkunitzero
umm, im heading to tahoe this monday with lm-25s.. will i be need a set of cables/chains?
Winter tires and AWD? You'll be fine.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:10 AM

kk, some people keep telling just encase they ask to see it in the truck.