Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Sumitomo HTR+ - On the EVO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2003, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sumitomo HTR+ - On the EVO

Well I mounted the Sumi's yesterday in preparation for winter. So far they're pretty good. Visually you can see the tread pattern difference but not much else.

I haven't pushed them much yet and they certainly don't feel like they inspire the cornering confidence the ADVANS do but as an all-season they're nice. I did drive them in the rain and they feel a little better than the ADVANS in wet, but again I didn't push very hard.

I'm still trying to find the right tire pressures for front and rear to the best handling without compromising tread wear or snow driving (Any suggestions NEAL???)

I'll report back later on snow driving. I miss my ADVANS but I'm sure when the first snow falls I'll be glad to have them.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 07:31 AM

I have the same tires on my EVO and the cornering is much worse. I use to take corners alot faster but if these tires work well in the snow thats all I care about. They are my winter tires anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Sumitomo HTR+ - On the EVO

Originally posted by wmcorcor

I'm still trying to find the right tire pressures for front and rear to the best handling without compromising tread wear or snow driving (Any suggestions NEAL???)

I would start with the manufacture recc pressures. From there, play with it in 2-3 pound increases until you reach what you feel is optimal. Do not exceed the maximum psi, and check the pressure once the tire is warm. Everyones driving conditions are different, so pressures may vary for others.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 07:57 AM
slt
Evolved Member

On my last car, the Sumi HTR's I put on were a big step up. Of course, my last car was an alero...
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

I put HTR+ on the car yesteday and they were a big step down in cornering from the ADVANS, but WTH do you expest. 180 treadwear AA traction to an all season radial, or course dry cornering will seem to go into the toilet.

Since they are my winter tires I do not care if I lose some dry cornering ability. We got 8 inches of snow last night over a couple inches fo frozen slush, and I was out driving around this morning with no problems what so ever. There were RWD cars getting stuck, and FWD cars having problems. I got around as well as I do in my Grand Cherokee and I was plowing snow in some places. I will sacrifice the dry traction for being able to get out of my driveway in the snow, and the loss in cornering will just make me appreciate the Yok's more when they go on again next spring. And there is no way I am complaining for $400.00 shipped to me.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

^^^ That's good to hear, mine arrived yesterday and are going on this weekend. Thanks for the review!
Old Oct 30, 2003, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

You lose some cornering ability, but they ride so much smoother than the Advans, and I am still taking corners pretty fast w/ the Sumis on.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

I love the HTRs. I had those tires on my FWD Eclipse a few years back and they did very well in the snow. When something works, I tend to be very loyal so I had to have them on my Evo.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Good to hear everyone enjoys the Sumi's! It really is a good tire for the price.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see these guys for sale on tirerack.com, my missing something ? .. Maybe some cheap wheels too
Old Oct 30, 2003, 04:07 PM
Former Sponsor

We have them.. Check the link below

Sumitomo HTR +

Last edited by Neal@tirerack; Oct 30, 2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

A System Error has occurred.

Please let us know what page you were on and a brief description of what you were doing when you got this error.

If you could copy the "http" location from your address box and paste it in the form, that would be helpful
Old Oct 30, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

ditto.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Here's the right link.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 06:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by rebelzx