Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

evo = understeer beast

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo = understeer beast

anyone else notice a stock evo understeers like a champ on very sharp corners/turns? it also has some pretty monstrous body roll. what can i do to fix that? i don't want the back end coming out like a champ either tho by adding just a rear sway bar. would adding both the front and rears make it better balanced? i will be doing coilovers soon, but i already know it still understeers with those too, so i need to do more than that.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Look around, strut bars, sway bars, coil overs
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

get off the gas while turning and youll get the back to come around

Its called the lift-off oversteer method

Very fun and easy to do

Last edited by SilverEvo8owner; Nov 9, 2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Body roll? Are you kidding me? If the Evo were to be any flatter in the turns, it would be a pancake. It corners better than my 91 GSX. And it had a strut bar, wider tires, KYB shocks, and H&R springs dropped an inch.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 01:46 PM
NRG
Evolving Member

Hmmmmmm, I dunno how you drive but my EVO rips the canyons apart........But yes, i do agree that putting on stronger lower tie brace and perhaps rear strut bars would help. But EVO corners/exits turns well as is........

Just remember, don't brake in turns. Brake before the turn and then gas it or else you will understeer.....
Old Nov 9, 2003, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

EVOs corner well, but they most defintely lean... and they lean alot compared to some otehr cars!

And like someone already mentioned, let up on the gas a bit in the corner to rebalance the car and reduce understeer, sending power to the front wheels causes an EVO to push just like any car will with power going to the front wheels. Or mash the gas pedal and try drifting around the corner
Old Nov 9, 2003, 02:23 PM

just learn how to drive, havent met anything on the streets yet that wants to mess with the evo on a twisted road.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

There is definitely sensitivity to throttle input in a turn. It's a good kind of sensitivity - you can steer with the gas pedal. I like the way it feels going through a corner under power - it sort of rises up on the suspension, feels good.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SpikeLS1
EVOs corner well, but they most defintely lean... and they lean alot compared to some otehr cars!

And like someone already mentioned, let up on the gas a bit in the corner to rebalance the car and reduce understeer, sending power to the front wheels causes an EVO to push just like any car will with power going to the front wheels. Or mash the gas pedal and try drifting around the corner
You sure you're not mistaking body lean for the high and upright seating position? The car itself corners very flat. However, due to the seating position, it feels like it leans a lot, when in fact, it's not. Grab a friend and switch cars. Follow the Evo through tight turns and visually see if it leans alot.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I got picks of some high speed turns and my evo doesn't lean at all.

But like mentioned earlier. Make sure you're done with all your braking BEFORE you start the turn in. You should not have a foot on the brake during the turn. Other than that, fine tuning the rear sway bar should help.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Pick up a Cusco three way adjustable rear sway bar cured mine and a friends understeer problems. But you really should not need unless you are autocrossing or doing a track day. I would not reccomend a front sway bar at all you'll only increase your understeering problem.
Best of luck!
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

The EVO handles well, but it most defintely leans in the corners compared to "other" handling cars like a Z06. Then again, an EVO is lots more top heavy than a Z06, so it should lean more... but that doesn't change the fact that it leans hard. My Camaro turns MUCH MUCH flatter than the EVO, but then again it's got Konis and swaybars...

I ain't ******* the EVO guys, it just ain't true to say it corners flat. Or maybe it's all perspective. It corners flat compared to a stock Lancer, or WRX, but it leans like a Buick compared to a Z06 or Fbody with shocks and swaybars.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

It leans...trust me.
Attached Thumbnails evo = understeer beast-evoleans.jpg  
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

weight transfer ownz us all
Old Nov 9, 2003, 04:34 PM
In Timeout

It does not matter as long as it corners good, I may do a sway bar but I need to get better at what it feels like before and after to see if I like it better. Only thing I can think of is a rear bar. I would like to see someone taking a turn before then after with the bar and ask if the car feels better. The problem I see with makeing the car firm as hell is you start to lose feel, as in I feel it starting to slide out, Not Damn it just broke lose and I am 80 yards in this field type of thing. Been there done that with NSX, and 1994 Rx-7 TT.

Quick Reply: evo = understeer beast