Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Coilover rebuilds

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover rebuilds

So it may seems like my tanabe po7 are dying... after lots of use in autox, track days, canyon runs(just for fun on weekends lol) and DD in the streets of Los Angeles... damn crappy roads.

I love this coilover cause the fact that the TEAS system adjusts my dampening by itself. I talked to tanabe regarding the rebuild process and it seems like they have to send it out to Japan. Which may sound pretty neat it will suck because I will be left out with no coilovers for couple of months. My coilover is slowly showing some noises here and there. And of course the ride isn't what it use to be. I can probably get more track days on these but it'll have to be rebuilt one of these days.

Is there a possible way to get coilover rebuild without sending it to the manufacture? Perhaps someone local where I don't have to keep my on jack stands for couple of months? Anyone with JDM suspension ever rebuild your coilovers?
Old May 3, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

I would contact:

Muellerized
Robi
GTworx

and see what they say. I just got one shock rebuilt and all four corners revalved
Old May 3, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Ah cause I was getting all mixed things before. I talked to couple of shops and including the one I bought my coils from a while back. Saying I should talk to the manufacturer. So I did... and got that answer.
Old May 3, 2010, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We wouldn't be able to do anything with them.

Major bummer that the manufacturer can't do it stateside. I'd imagine it's not cheap to do it overseas either. I feel like someone found an independent place to rebuild their JDM coilovers stateside. I think there is a recent thread....worth a search.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

- Andrew
Old May 3, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Boosted, I'm in the same boat as you, only with my Tein Flex's + edfc. I'm pretty sure the struts are blown and the pillowball joints have gone to hell, but I'm making the switch to a spring/strut combo. it'll be much better for the street, imo
Old May 5, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, I tried searching and found nothing. I tried other forums to see how they fix their coils. Yeah i know it sucks. I may have to pull the plug and probably move on. It would be nice to see stateside rebuilders for these JDM stuff.

Maybe I can jsut wait long enough and save up I can just purchase new set. I figured if it cost half of a new coils i might as well save up. I really like these coils for some reason. I don't DD my car that much either so yeah... I guess I'll be emailing tanabe again.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why would you get a new set if you know in a couple years you're gonna be left with expensive paper weights yet again? Try a rebuildable coilover....there are many out there that are as good or better than these.

- Andrew
Old May 5, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

contact apex usa they might rebuild your coilover( they did one of mine fully vented!)
Old May 5, 2010, 02:07 PM

If in cali, go ahead and hit up Muellerized. I'm sure they'll be able to help ya out.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIX007
If in cali, go ahead and hit up Muellerized. I'm sure they'll be able to help ya out.
This

I have talked to Orlando many times, and honestly, with all the buying and selling i do.. Muellerized, GTWorx and MAP are hands down the best three shops when it comes to suspension works and customer service
Old May 7, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Why would you get a new set if you know in a couple years you're gonna be left with expensive paper weights yet again? Try a rebuildable coilover....there are many out there that are as good or better than these.

- Andrew
hmmm true... I see what you're getting it.

Anyways, I'll try out some places everyone recommended!