Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What to do with blown coilover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with blown coilover

I picked up a free set of Tanabe coilovers pro 7 or SS i think with the front passenger blown thinking it would be easy to find someone to rebuild it or get a replacement but im having no luck. I was hoping to put them on in the summer for some AX and track event.
So are there any places that anyone knows that can rebuild these i've talked with Tanabe, FEAL suspension, Koni, and Mullerized with no luck?
what kind of damage can be done from running on these on the street because i would like to get a feel it having coilovers would be worth it for AX, or should i get rid of them?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
That's the problem with "Choose your color" coilovers. Their is no such thing as rebuilding or re-valving. I think now its time to start looking for a better setup.

I'm starting to see AST 4100s on sale in the $1700 range bare (Vorshlag) or call up GTworx and see what they can do for you. Depending what you currently have for springs on the Tanabe's you might be able to save some money using those though Id look to get a hyperco or swift spring.

Ill be selling some hyperco 450/550 springs here soon (~ 8k/10k) that I have just been using for the winter for quite a bit cheaper than new hyperco's run.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think the spring are pro210 im currently on hotchicks spring, would there be any benefit from running just the rears? (sorry im new coilovers)
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't put them on the car....it would not be an improvement over stock.

Some industrious person might be willing to use the bodies to put Koni inserts into. Takes a little homework but it's possible.

- Andrew
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
coil

Originally Posted by Locdizzel
I picked up a free set of Tanabe coilovers pro 7 or SS i think with the front passenger blown thinking it would be easy to find someone to rebuild it or get a replacement but im having no luck. I was hoping to put them on in the summer for some AX and track event.
So are there any places that anyone knows that can rebuild these i've talked with Tanabe, FEAL suspension, Koni, and Mullerized with no luck?
what kind of damage can be done from running on these on the street because i would like to get a feel it having coilovers would be worth it for AX, or should i get rid of them?
how do u know that is blown?im asking because i think they are gas coilovers and since theres no liquid to see its hard to tell.my coilovers acting funny(strange noise sometimes).and i dont know how to see differences between good and bad.thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u can kinda do the bounce test. push hard on the side where you think its blown and see how many times it bounces. google says should be 1 if its more then its blown. iuno thats google.

you can usually tell from driving the car, i mean its your car you should know how it felt and is feeling. if u ride over a bump, does the car keep bouncing? if so i believe its blown.