Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

need your input on coilovers!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
With all due respect to the OP, coilovers are not something you should be looking at ... You'll end up being sorry and pay the "out of your price range" tag in the end anyway, except you'll waste a 1000$ in the process.
why are coilovers not worth it on a dd? I am also in the same boat and debating between coil overs or springs
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

I have the bc racing br type. It's a very nice coilover for DD and weekend track use. I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a good set of coilovers under 1000.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by T-Pain
why are coilovers not worth it on a dd? I am also in the same boat and debating between coil overs or springs
Because you're going to get mediocre ones at best since no one who dailys their Evo wants to spend the money for track quality coilovers that perform well, and why should they (consensus is just about $2k is where you reach this level of shock). You want the drop and to say you have coilovers on a DD. Don't give me any "I do canyon runs and spirited drives" nonsense. The Evo is not in need of coilovers on your daily commute. Solo II Evo and I track together regularly. Save your money. Do it once, do it right. You get what you pay for. Choose your cliche and then get some Swift springs.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Because you're going to get mediocre ones at best since no one who dailys their Evo wants to spend the money for track quality coilovers that perform well, and why should they (consensus is just about $2k is where you reach this level of shock). You want the drop and to say you have coilovers on a DD. Don't give me any "I do canyon runs and spirited drives" nonsense. The Evo is not in need of coilovers on your daily commute. Solo II Evo and I track together regularly. Save your money. Do it once, do it right. You get what you pay for. Choose your cliche and then get some Swift springs.
good input, thanks! pretty much second guessing the coils cuz like a few of you have said just do springs until my evos heavy on the track.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea pretty much what delongedoug said...

It's not the problem that you want coilovers, the problem is which ones you want. The fact is that people have a problem believeing the following:

for the 1000$ you are going to spend for BC RACING or Megan TRACK(lol) coilovers you can buy:
a set of used bilsteins
a set of springs
front and rear swaybar

And believe me that the cheap coilovers are going to get destroyed on the track by bilsteins.

Plus two more additional facts:
Cheap coilovers don't last, none of them.
The fact that you have coilovers that you bought for 1000$ means you probably have no idea how to set up a car properly for the track and you don't have the budget to spend on alignments and figuring out how your car handles with different settings.

If you want to slam your car to the ground and say you got coilovers, megan, bc racing, d2 racing, k-sport or any other ebay company will suffice... Fine... Just fine...
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Pain
Because if you buy Coilovers you won't purchase the Bilstein/GT Worx combo. If you want that setup I would purchase one of the few used sets in the classified section.

The whole notion that you shouldn't use coilovers on a strictly DD vehicle is odd advice. Those folks that race 10% of the time and do purchase coilovers still spend 90% of the time using the car as a DD.

Also, if you search posts on the stock struts you will find even they don't last as I myself experienced.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Because if you buy Coilovers you won't purchase the Bilstein/GT Worx combo. If you want that setup I would purchase one of the few used sets in the classified section.

The whole notion that you shouldn't use coilovers on a strictly DD vehicle is odd advice. Those folks that race 10% of the time and do purchase coilovers still spend 90% of the time using the car as a DD.

Also, if you search posts on the stock struts you will find even they don't last as I myself experienced.
Wrong. A lot of us have DDs because tracking an Evo as your only car is a bad idea. Ask me how I know.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
Wrong. A lot of us have DDs because tracking an Evo as your only car is a bad idea. Ask me how I know.
How do you know?

As far as your EVO not being a DD, that is the exception and not the rule. My backup is the NSX so either way life is good.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:37 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The idea is that folks who buy badly made, cheaply constructed Asian coilovers with mismatched spring rates, non-linear adjustments, and dubiously selected struts (like Megans for example) would be better served by a quality spring/strut combo, if performance is the goal. Not to mention the setup constraints.

KYBs or Bilsteins? How long did they last with the stock springs?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The idea is that folks who buy badly made, cheaply constructed Asian coilovers with mismatched spring rates, non-linear adjustments, and dubiously selected struts (like Megans for example) would be better served by a quality spring/strut combo, if performance is the goal. Not to mention the setup constraints.
I purchased the Megan Steet's and they are not badly made, but we shall see how long the struts last. Because I have direct experience with the product it is difficult to take your comments serious.

If anyone wants a quality spring/strut combo such as the Swift/Bilstein combo there are 3 sets for sale on the first page of the classifieds.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:39 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

I purchased the Megan Steet's and they are not badly made, but we shall see how long the struts last. Because I have direct experience with the product it is difficult to take your comments serious.
I could say exactly the same thing, as you chose to buy coilovers for an Evo with badly chosen spring rates. Clearly, you don't know very much about this subject.

Edit: What about my questions re: stock struts? You didn't answer.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 31, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I could say exactly the same thing, as you chose to buy coilovers for an Evo with badly chosen spring rates. Clearly, you don't know very much about this subject.

Edit: What about my questions re: stock struts? You didn't answer.
~35K stock struts of which ~25K used Hotchkis springs.

Perhaps the spring rates are not optimized, but you are saying they are badly made, cheaply constructed Asian coilovers. If the real issue you see is spring rates then say so without all of the unnecessary drama and bashing of the Megan setup. I would concede the rates are not optimized.

It is good that you pointed out I don't know very much on this subject because by doing so you just decreased your lap times by two seconds. This has occurred because criticizing me and bashing Megan makes you even more of an expert.

Most of us have a DD and aren't seeking a time attack car so a sub optimized setup is just fine and will still easily outperform stock or stock with springs.

To the OP, I don't think you would be disappointed with BC or Megan Street setups.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 02:51 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

~35K stock struts of which ~25K used Hotchkis springs.
Which stock struts, the KYBs? Why didn't you use better springs? Wait, you don't know which struts you had, do you?

Perhaps the spring rates are not optimized, but you are saying they are badly made, cheaply constructed Asian coilovers. If the real issue you see is spring rates then say so without all of the unnecessary drama and bashing of the Megan setup.
Not just Megan; it was an example. Give your coilovers a year or two and see how they perform, or you can search here for numerous examples. Hell, I'm willing to bet the adjustment on each strut doesn't correlate positively with its mate. This said, if you'd searched, you likely wouldn't have bought them in the first place.

I would concede the rates are not optimized.
Then, why did you buy them and why are recommending them to others?

It is good that you pointed out I don't know very much on this subject because by doing so you just decreased your lap times by two seconds. This has occurred because criticizing me and bashing Megan makes you even more of an expert.
Taking juvenile shots at me won't change anything.

Most of us have a DD and aren't seeking a time attack car so a sub optimized setup is just fine and will still easily outperform stock or stock with springs.
How do you know? The only springs you had were hardly optimized for the setup.

To the OP, I don't think you would be disappointed with BC or Megan Street setups.
What makes you think that everyone is satisfied with badly designed, unreliable parts?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, i hated my megan tracks, they were sloppy after 1 year of street driving. I say save for some KW's.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Your proposed argument is circular, thus pointless.

I would bet that all race teams tweak suspension every year if not every race. I bet you have changed your setup before and will change it again for something you perceive is better. Therefore, the setup is never optimized and could never be recommended. Using your logic you are no longer allowed to recommend suspension setups because everything you have chosen is not the best.

The reality is that setups will be matched by factors that are not determined by the car itself such as driving style and driving abilities. Thus any decision regarding what is the best setup will be partially based on subjectivity or partially based on what a particular driver can achieve because of their driving abilities.

For $1100, as the OP has stated are his limits, does he get the best setup? NO, but he can get something that is better than stock and if it lasts 2-3 years or 30-40K miles then great. I have heard guys that rebuild struts on a regular basis because they are wear items and if you drive hard they will wear. Hell, if you drive hard you will spend $1200/year on tires alone.

Anyway, once again I will say people are smart enough to make up their own minds. For the record I don't think the Megan Street setup is the best, but it is working for me so far.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Jul 31, 2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: need your input on coilovers!