Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ams lightweight brakes vs Girodisc utralite rotors, Which one would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raiceboi697
i rock the AMS small brakes and i DD my car every day. They stop you just fine
You both front and back? How many miles have you put on them as a dd?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:58 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackgsx01
You both front and back? How many miles have you put on them as a dd?
You should probably see if his idea of a DD matches yours. For example, my (somewhat) DD has had its brake pads catch fire. That may or may be congruent with other folks' expectations. See what I mean?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 05:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe you guys fuss over this for a street car. The money is better spent elsewhere imo.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
I can't believe you guys fuss over this for a street car. The money is better spent elsewhere imo.
Well I plan on doing a built motor and other things later down the road unless somthing goes wrong. Yes it's a street car, that's why I'm working on other things instead of just power mods when,driveline and suspension are my focus right now and later I will go back to power mods+body
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by raiceboi697
i rock the AMS small brakes and i DD my car every day. They stop you just fine
just fine is not good enough. I bet a set of stock calipers and the girodisc rotors would stop the car faster. And for a street car the faster the better
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
I'd kind of argue the opposite. A street car, especially an AWD street car, is a hell of a lot more fun to drive with less rotational mass. It can make for a significant difference in the way the car feels each and every time it's driven. It feels lighter, more nimble, more tossable. When repeated lap times are not at stake, a lighter alternative can be very beneficial to the overall daily enjoyment. Sure, one can add power or mod the suspension, but it doesn't yield the same effect.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I'd kind of argue the opposite. A street car, especially an AWD street car, is a hell of a lot more fun to drive with less rotational mass. It can make for a significant difference in the way the car feels each and every time it's driven. It feels lighter, more nimble, more tossable. When repeated lap times are not at stake, a lighter alternative can be very beneficial to the overall daily enjoyment. Sure, one can add power or mod the suspension, but it doesn't yield the same effect.
You are so right, I just installed Awdmotorsports lightweight driveshaft and the car feels completely different, as the car lost 200lbs of dead weight. Overall I am very happy with and can't wait for rotors and rims/tires
Old Aug 5, 2010, 07:20 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand the thought behind it, but it's still a street car. How fast are you guys driving on the street to notice the difference? I am not suggesting that it's the wrong approach or anything. I had 112k of daily driving and autox on my car...and I think once you get into racing, it completely changes the way you approach car setup. I think FJF would agree with that... Again, not saying the approach is worng.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
I understand the thought behind it, but it's still a street car. How fast are you guys driving on the street to notice the difference? I am not suggesting that it's the wrong approach or anything. I had 112k of daily driving and autox on my car...and I think once you get into racing, it completely changes the way you approach car setup. I think FJF would agree with that... Again, not saying the approach is worng.
I feel the difference from 1-60+mph. The car accel/feels so much better.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
I understand the thought behind it, but it's still a street car. How fast are you guys driving on the street to notice the difference?
I don't think you understand. Reduced rotational mass doesn't depend on speed. It is felt everywhere all the time.

I had 112k of daily driving and autox on my car...and I think once you get into racing, it completely changes the way you approach car setup. I think FJF would agree with that...
Sure, I'd agree, but we're not talking about the same thing, if that makes sense.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I don't think you understand. Reduced rotational mass doesn't depend on speed. It is felt everywhere all the time.
this is very true, my wheels are about 5 lbs lighter than stock each, and the difference is very noticable. I have never been on a dyno, but i would guess its worth several hp ... does 10ish sound ridiculous?? General driving fun is improved as well. Any weight taken from unsprung weight will make the car more fun to drive imo.

I think chu's question was about the logic of squeezing every drop of performance out of a street car, which cannot be legally driven over 60 most the time. Nor can you corner, brake or accelerate over maybe 60% of the cars ability, legally/safely.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:59 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evremonde
I have never been on a dyno, but i would guess its worth several hp ... does 10ish sound ridiculous??
Our Evo pulls 320/302 on STM's Mustang, which is ridiculously high for that dyno and the very light mods on the car. The guys at STM think that some of it is due to so much less rotational mass. They dyno'd lightweight rotors and found ~10hp gain. Wheels and tires make a bigger difference.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
just fine is not good enough. I bet a set of stock calipers and the girodisc rotors would stop the car faster. And for a street car the faster the better

well my opinion of just fine means i can stop me from going over 135 at the track without having to lock them up. What is also failed to be mentioned is that even with the biggest/best brake set up without a equally awesome tire you are not going to be stopping fast at all. So for the average driving around town in all conditions(minus snow) and ocassionally having to jam on the brakes when some *insert bad words here* driver cuts me off these brakes work great. No i dont have the rears as asked but my e brake has been removed in preperation to have them this winter. put the car in gear and let it sit when you turn it off. same difference.

They also dont make any more noise then any other pad i used when i had the stock brakes on the car. So from someone that has jammed on both the stock brakes and the AMS wilwood kit from high speed i would suggest these to anyone who drags there car. If you autoX/lap they also sell a smaller/lighter kit for that.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmmm I keep going back and fourth. I am leaning toward wildwood front,girodisc rear, best of both worlds and I doubt that the brake balance would be affected by this.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Something that may put this into perspective is just looking at normal brakes compared to EVO brakes.

My old 2G GS-T had like 11" rotors and floating calipers, yet it had no problems at all pulling the 3000 pound car down from 150mph. Do it more then 2-3 times and you were asking for trouble, but those first couple were perfectly fine.

Yes, you are reducing the brake capabilities, but the EVO brakes are REALLY good for a street car and you could stand to give up a bit in order to get other benefits.

My question though, would the wilwood/AMS kit hold up to auto-x stuff where you aren't at real high speeds, but you are braking a lot with multiple rounds back to back.

I agree with the other sentiment first though, get your wheel and tire combo down on weight before looking at the brakes for weight loss. Even then you might want to look at the ABS/brake booster/Brake pedal assembly before the rotors and calipers.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Aug 5, 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Ams lightweight brakes vs Girodisc utralite rotors, Which one would you pick?