Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.5k on my 06 IX and no clunking at all so far. In fact the car feels very tidy in the suspension department, much moreso than my 03 did at 40k+.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Any update on what it could be?

Last edited by DanJ; Jan 15, 2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:22 AM

I have 26k on my 05' Evo and I am just starting to hear the "clunk." I almost brought it in to Mitsu myself, but now it seems pretty ordinary.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Guys, did you inspect your control arm ball joints?
I think that's where my clunk is coming from.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I just got the ol "clunk" 05 evo just hit 30k and now it does this off and on towards the front end drivers side. I'll drivbe a round for a week and nothing then the next thing you know...clunk! the very next day...all day.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

pfft, took a day to read this thread....between work :P
and no solid answer.

i clunk as well. oh well...
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Sound
pfft, took a day to read this thread....between work :P
and no solid answer.

i clunk as well. oh well...
If it's any consolation, the clunk seems to go away over time. I've known that to be the case on 3 or 4 cars over the past year or so.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:05 AM

I experienced what sounds to be the same thing at about 28K miles on my '03. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a sway bar bushing that had "frozen" and was rotating as it is supposed to.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

I have this similar clunk that sounds like it is coming from the front suspension, but I only have it when it is very cold outside. Seems to be even worse when the temp is below 20 deg. In fact, since it is like 4 degs out right now, pretty much every bump I hit is loud. Sounds like I have no suspension at all up front. I thought my Struts were bad.

I am running a 3-inch DP and had Tein S-tech is for a while. Now have the stock springs in for winter.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

06 IX, its been clunking for about 7 months now. It happens on both sides of the front. It only seems to happen at low speeds. Happens over small bumps, but not big pot holes. It sometimes happens when i hit the brakes hard. Sometimes when i turn hard too. Also happens when im leaving from a dead stop. Im on Espelir ASD springs. I did notice some exposed metal on the springs, so i'll try the rubber hose fix i guess. The noise is strange though because it never sounds like its comming from the same spot. Sometimes it sounds like its in the fender well, but some times it sounds like its more in the middle of the car. I have the stock downpipe so i don't think thats the problem. its annoying as hell though
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:02 PM

my car has recently developed it and thought it was blown shock or something but turns out there is nothing wrong .. its just the way the car is .. if you dont like the sound then get a new car and stop complaining .. its chronic problems with this car and research should have been done prior to purchase... i honestly dont care cause i have all teh common problems , occasional gear grinding in 3rd gear and 2nd is a ***** to get into .. my car is only 4 months old ..6000 miles ..you think our clunking is bad.. ride an STI and you'll think twice about complaining about clunking sounds.. the STI clunks more than a 10 year old beater..if you want no clunks buy a lexus and no clunks ..no problems nothing .. flawless perfection , if ure driving and evo chances are you speed frequently and hit potholes and go over some crappy roads , these things are bound to happen , i plan on just changing out my suspension , plus all bushings shocks etc after 3 years..i still love me car regardless if it cclunks a bit ... whateverrrrr
Old Mar 18, 2007, 07:54 PM

The clunk is the stock Bilstein suspension going bad

I followed this thread for a while due to some hard to diagnose clunking, then it went away. Finally when the weather started getting cold last fall it got worse. To be honest I went over a BS traffic calming "raised intersection" a little too fast and then it really started clunking. I researched it hard after that, talked to my mechanic, and then finally took it to the dealer who confirmed I had finally blown one of my front shocks. They said it was hard to notice on the test drive but once on the lift there was grease coming out of the shock. In general I have concluded from everything I heard that the gas in the shock gets bubbles in it which makes it hard to recover from sharp bumps thus the clunk. When the gas is cold it can't respond as well either. There is no doubt in my mind that the unexplained clunk from an Evo is the stock Bilstein suspension going bad. I have heard this suspension called "the same suspension used by high performance luxury sports cars." What this means is that it will handle well on a relatively smooth track where potholes and real world conditions don't exist. To keep the Evo's price tag in the $30's instead of $50K on up that's the setup we get for stock. So, if you drive your Evo in the real world and in particular drive it like the marketing and it's heritage sets our expectations to beleive, like a rally car, then the suspension will not last. Mine went at about 30K miles. I think this is inexcuseable and should be warranted, but make sure you don't have any mud on the underside of your car or else the dealer will not cover it. To be fair I have done some off raod club rallycrosses with my Evo so there was A LOT of mud under there but there also aren't any potholes, railroad tracks, traffic calming devices and other drastic road imperfections at these events. Mostly mud and smooth bumps. I'd say driving down the highway and hitting a sharp-edged crater ripped out of the road surface by a snow plow will do more damage then sliding sideways at 30 or 40 mph through mud. The problem is the stiff ride from the Bilsteins making hard bumps harder, which will not be an issue on a track. Someone needs to tell Mitsubishi that dressing up a rally car in track clothing is misleading, at least to me anyway. I thought I bought a rally car. When I have the money I'll be upgrading the suspension to some remote reservoir Ohlins. Maybe then I can think about jumping the car
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Just to update this ongoing thread... brand new 2006 MR here. Also have a suspension clunk when turning right. Hard to replicate unless I'm turning onto an incline; therefore I know the suspension on the passenger side is compressing. Doesn't really bother me too much, and from what I've read here seems to be a fairly common thing.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:30 PM

I have the same noise coming from what feels like the left front can feel it more in floor board.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 07:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your camber bolts to make sure they're tight. I know it sounds stupid it's such a simple solution but I've seen it happen.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??