Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Brake fluid

What do we have from the factory? The owners manual says "use DOT 3 or DOT 4 but do not mix them"...but it does NOT say what is in there from the factory! So how do we know what to use when we add fluid if we don't know what is in there now?

Thanks,

Keith
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best idea and what ALL should do is to change all the liquid once a year.
the best way is to flush the system with the new liquid you will use.
Get a liquid that you will able to get it on the future.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:27 PM

I would recommend DOT-4 ATE Type 200 or ATE Super Blue.
That's what I use on my race car. Motul 600 is also very good, but is more hygroscopic which means you need to flush it more often.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just want to change out my clutch line and not have to blead the whole damn brake system in order to do it. Does ANYONE know what they put in at the factory?

Keith
Old Nov 28, 2003, 08:07 PM

I have boiled the stock fluid twice. Whatever it is, it isn't up to withstanding the heat generated by the Brembos. Since it now needs replacing, I'll probably go with Super Blue.

-Pace
Old Nov 29, 2003, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fourdoor
I just want to change out my clutch line and not have to blead the whole damn brake system in order to do it. Does ANYONE know what they put in at the factory?

Keith
you do not have to bleed the whole brake system... the clutch resevoir is integrated into the brake fluid resevoir...

the clutch resevoir takes the overflow from the brake fluid...
Old Jan 5, 2004, 01:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? Where is the best place to pick up some ATE Super Blue for my Evo, what is the average price of the stuff and how much will I need? I'm about to do my clutch, will I need to replace all of my brake/clutch fluid? Please excuse my ignorance. Many thanks in advance.

mitsuorder
Old Jan 5, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Fourdoor, just go to your dealer and but the genuine Mitsu brake fluid at the parts counter. You can't go wrong and no guessing.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsuorder - I got my ATE SuperBlue from RaceShopper.com for $9.95 per liter (x 2). The S&H charge was an additional $7.50. Two liters will be more than enough to bleed the entire brake and clutch system.

If I remember right, ATE also makes the same formula in a different color, too. Very handy when it's time to flush the system again - you're done when the fluid changes to the new color.

One other note; the ATE Super Blue looks to have a good balance between high temprature resistance and moisture resistance. As m3jstock said, there are higher temprature fluids, but they seem to be noticeably more moisture absorbant.

Last edited by erioshi; Jan 5, 2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Dealerships sell Genuine Mitsubishi Brake Fluid for $6.50/12oz. bottle...Would I need only one bottle for the clutchline installation?
Old Mar 3, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Yes.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by m3jstock
I would recommend DOT-4 ATE Type 200 or ATE Super Blue.
That's what I use on my race car. Motul 600 is also very good, but is more hygroscopic which means you need to flush it more often.
I was under the impression that the motul 600 fluid is silcon based, therefor doesn't absorb any water.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

I am very interested to hear some more input on this topic. I plan on running a bunch of track days this year and have upgraded my rotors, lines and pads. I am still considering which brake fluid to use. I've heard very good things about the ATE Super Blue and also Castrol SRF. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 3, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up going with Ate super Blue.

My choice was based on not wanting to be forced into annual (or more frequent) brake fluid flushes. I also wanted a fluid that was highly resistant to absorbing moisture. Where I live it can get pretty humid in the summer. I can't find it anymore but I also referenced a chart that listed each fluids tendancy to absorb water. The Ate was significantly more moisture resistant than the Motul on that chart. To me that meant fewer flush, fill and bleed days with the Ate fluid.

Here's a quick summary of what I found:

From the Stoptech Site:

Ate Super Blue is a non-silicone high performance DOT 4 brake fluid designed for racing and street applications, 536 degress F dry and 392 degrees F wet boiling points, 1 litre bottle

$11.35 - Item No. 68-000-1101

Motul RBF 600 High Performance Brake Fluid, 593 degrees F dry and 420 degrees F wet boiling points, 500ml Bottle

$15.00 - Item No. 68-000-1000

And from raceshopper.com:

ATEŽ Super Blue (DOT 4) has a dry boiling point of 536F and a wet boiling point of 396F. ATE Super Blue is identical in specification to the ATE TYP 200 brake fluid. ATE Super Blue or TYP 200 is compatible and will mix with MOST DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 Fluids .
This top-of-the-line product lies 20 °C over the DOT 5.1 standard and surpasses this standard in nearly all the other requirements as well. This means that cars can go without a brake fluid change for up to 3 years while products with a lower wet boiling point have to be replaced considerably more often (e.g. DOT 3 products should be replaced annually).

Over the lifespan of the brake fluid - the ATE fluid maintains an overall higher thermal temperature rating.

$9.25 / 1 Liter bottle

And:

Castrol SRF
This is the ultimate racing brake fluid!
(Dry 590/Wet 518)
$64.95 (1 Liter)

Castrol SRF is NOT to be mixed with any other type of fluid!

Also from raceshopper.com:

Conventional DOT3 brake fluids will absorb and average of 2% or more of water in the first year of usage. In that period, the boiling point can drop from 401 degrees to 250 degrees, a reduction of over 150 Fahrenheit degrees.(6) Brake fluid designated a DOT4 possesses an important characteristic, having low moisture activity or improved ability to resist boiling point drop. This boiling point drop becomes essential in assuring safe brake operation.

And also:

We do not recommend using DOT 5 fluid in any racing applications. DOT 5 fluid is not hygroscopic, so as moisture enters the system, it is not absorbed by the fluid, and results in beads of moisture moving through the brake line, collecting in the calipers . It is not uncommon to have caliper temperatures exceed 200 F, and at 212 F, this collected moisture will boil causing vapor lock and system failure. Additionally, DOT 5 fluid is highly compressible due to aeration and foaming under normal braking conditions, providing a spongy brake feel. DOT 5 fluid is best suited for show car applications where its anti-corrosion and paint friendly characteristics are important.

Note: The comment above are for DOT 5, not DOT 5.1 and 5.2 fluids.

Ouch - just previewed; sorry about the novel.

Last edited by erioshi; Mar 4, 2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

I must be misinformed because from what i understood the DOT 5.1 fluids DO absorb water but the 600 fluids are silicone based and do not absord or harm paint. Let me try to find proof of my argument. but I am fairly sure the 5.1 stuff is not silicone based.

EDIT: whoops just realized you were talking about DOT 5 fluid and DOT 5.1.

anyway here is an awesome write up on fluids from stoptech http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/brakefluid1a.htm