Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew the SRF was sick, but that's pretty damn expensive. I think the Super Blue will work for me, too. A friend boiled the fluid in his STi (don't knock it - same brakes as us), so he is running SRF now.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Absolutely no knocking - I had my brakes fail to grab on me once last fall. It was late in the afternoon and I had on the track quite a bit; we were running 15 minutes sessions. I was running stock fluid and lines; I had purchased SS lines, but the fronts were incorectly made and the new ones were not back yet. For pads I was using Carbotech Bobcats.

I only had problems once, but that led to an "off" at about 75 mph. I went for the brakes; they were a tiny touch soft and they had no bite. Pressing harder didn't help . Personally I think most of the issue was over-heating the pads. Luckily the track has good run-off space and no damage was done. I don't feel that any of the equipment is to blame, I was just pushing harder at the end of the day and had exceeded the limits of my set-up.

For the comming summer I'll be running Ate Super Blue, SS lines and probably some new pads. I'm considering trying Performance Friction 97s.

Last edited by erioshi; Mar 4, 2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 11:40 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by erioshi
If I remember right, ATE also makes the same formula in a different color, too. Very handy when it's time to flush the system again - you're done when the fluid changes to the new color.
ATE stopped making the gold variant of SuperBlue last year. You may be able to find a bottle, but it's not in production anymore.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WestSideBilly

ATE stopped making the gold variant of SuperBlue last year. You may be able to find a bottle, but it's not in production anymore.
Thanks for the info; I hadn't heard that.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 05:56 PM

Ford brake fluid has good specs. If I remember correctly, the dry boiling point is 500 deg F. It's the high performance brake fluid sold at Ford dealerships. It's cheap too.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard about the ford brake fluid and even went looking for part number. I took the part number that I was able to dig up for the high performance brake fluid and called 3 different Ford dealerships; they all no longer stocked that PN had had superceeded it with another fluid. Since it was a different fluid with a different PN (and my wife would kill me if I started boiling brake fluid on the stove (joke, really)), I stopped the hunt. I'd be interested in hearing more about the Ford fluid if someone could provide a current part number and a link or scan showing some real specs.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 03:32 AM
ACM
Evolving Member

Ford Heavy Duty fluid goes off really, really quickly, when I ran it I had to bleed the system monthly to keep them 100%.

Motul fluid is excellent and can stay in the system almost indefinitely. Expensive, but it lasts much longer and doesn't boil, not even with bright Orange rotors.

Charles
Old Mar 10, 2004, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

id go for the silicon based stuff, endless track hours and no fade!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:25 AM
El Jefe

Originally posted by ACM
Motul fluid is excellent and can stay in the system almost indefinitely. Expensive, but it lasts much longer and doesn't boil, not even with bright Orange rotors.

Charles
I've boiled Motul on several occasions. R compound tires and aftermarket pads will put enough heat into the brakes to boil just about any fluid without some form of auxiliary cooling.

Edit: You should change your brake fluid before any track event. The boil point noticably drops after a while due to water absorption.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 07:27 AM
El Jefe

Originally posted by chuntington101
id go for the silicon based stuff, endless track hours and no fade!
You're not driving fast enough!
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ACM
Ford Heavy Duty fluid goes off really, really quickly, when I ran it I had to bleed the system monthly to keep them 100%.

Charles
are you sure about this... general consensus says that motul eats water and you have to bleed regularly to ge the water out nad if not you get corrosion.