Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Getting Ready For Winter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This will be my first winter with the Evo. I picked up some all seasons and I'm hoping they do ok in Colorado weather. If not, I'll definitely be going with a dedicated set of winters next year. I had the Blizzak WS60's on my Eclipse last year before I sold it and they worked awesome!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks....you can climb Everest with these things.

Last edited by escodotcarter; Oct 8, 2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone through all kinds of snow with all seasons only factor that has limited me so far was when the snow was higher than the cars clearance. Never teastes them in extreme icy conditions but IMO if it's that bad out I'm not going anywhere unwless I have something with tracks. The Evo is very capable in snow even with as tires
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chu
Not sure whether I should go with the studless snow/ice tire, or a performance winter/snow tire, for Northeast winters.
I used the blzzack LM-60's last year and the only thing that stopped me was ground clearance. I fell into a rut and the snow in the middle lifted the car up.

I had no problems driving around in 18+ inches of unploughed snow, though it wasn't very heavy snow. The real problem was the way the front bummer channeled the snow directly into my windshield!!!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:40 AM

Guys, winter tires are a bit confusing, and there are many performance envelopes. I would imagine the most fun with our cars in the winter will be full on performance in the snow. That is the most fun driving experience with awd. The compromise that a "studless ice and snow" tire makes on dry or wet paved roads may be worth it to some -including me.

With that said, I had a set of a compromise winter tire, the Blizzak LM-25 on my previous car, an Audi A3. They were fine on the dry or water covered roads, but absolutely useless for performance winter driving. In fact the car had a difficult time stopping and accelerating in snow. I even tried using the Rillfit to groove them - the compound is not good for real winter ice and snow work.

That was the first time that I purchased a compromise winter tire. I would recommend anyone that is not interested in performance in winter conditions purchase a compromise tire centered around dry weather performance. Conversely, the WS series, Hakkapeliitta R or another brand of "studless winter performance" tire would be the choice for winter performance enthusiasts. Generally a skinnier tire is recommended. These tires allow us awd drivers to extract the best performance from our cars in the most enjoyable of driving conditions!

Neal, perhaps you can chime in here....

Last edited by D-Evo; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I found 225/45/17 is a good size for a 17x8" wheel for winter. I would have went with 50 series but there seemed to be a good selection of tires for good prices in that size. It's a little smaller than stock so you get better penetration through the soft stuff and more clearance in the fenders.

Hankook ipike w409's are great in the snow. I picked some up last year. They have at least another season or two left. They performed flawlessly for me. Having a nice new set of winters I was looking to challenge them a little but I couldn't find anything they had a problem with. The tread pattern is similar to the General Altimax Arctic.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 225/45 General Altimax Arctic, and use them on stock 8 wheels. Were great tires for deep snow, unplowed country roads in northern Ohio. I also had multiple treks up my 500ft driveway that is up a hill and around a corner, times snow was coming over the hood, but the car made it up the drive (so I could jump on the tractor and plow the drive). Couldn\'t ask for more out of a budget priced snow tire. Only question will remain is longevitiy of the tire, I am keeping all miles on the tire documented as well.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:03 PM

ive heard that a wider tire isnt necesarilly a good thing in snow and ice.....?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:15 PM

I need to get me a set of wheels for the winter only so I can put on a set of Blizzaks! I was lucky I was never caught on the street last year with my azenis or that would have been a disaster!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by swalltr207jg
Correct, think psi.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by swalltr207jg
Well, yeah, but a good winter tire with lots of sipes in stock size will still make the Evo an awesome winter machine.

Last edited by barneyb; Oct 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vegas702evo
I need to get me a set of wheels for the winter only so I can put on a set of Blizzaks! I was lucky I was never caught on the street last year with my azenis or that would have been a disaster!
The best option for a winter wheel is a used set of stock wheels. I refuse to put steel wheels on the evo. Good luck finding any either.

I couldn't find any used stockers last year. So I just ordered the cheapest aluminum wheels I could find that looked decent. If you order 4 wheels online they will mount and balance the tires for free, free shipping, free lug nuts and hubcentric rings. Add all that up and add in not having to remount and balance when summer rolls around and an extra set of wheel pays for itself pretty quickly.

We get ripped off up here in Alaska. It's $60 to get 4 tires mounted and balanced. That's $120 a year. That buys 1 wheel a year. Not to mention that snow tires at local stores in town are 50% more expensive than online. I basically got wheels and tires online for the same price as just tires in town and now I can swap them whenever I want.

The cheapest wheels that fit the evo at tirerack are these at $119ea/$475 a set.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Price

These are the winter wheels I picked up. They no longer come up on a vehicle search for the evo but they fit fine. I have the 28 offset 17x8's. They're $135ea. I think I paid $115ea last year.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...il.do?pc=53626

I bet these would fit too. I like the look of the 5 spoke with no center cap. They're a 22 offset so they'd sit a little wider but with small 225/45 winter tires you wouldn't rub. You can see the nice curved spokes. They'll clear the brembos.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...il.do?pc=59991
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought the motegis
i'll post pics when installed
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:58 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Anyone have reviews on the General Tires Altimax Artics? Very budget friendly tire, but I dotn know alot of ppl running them Everyone loves the Blizzaks.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
Anyone have reviews on the General Tires Altimax Artics? Very budget friendly tire, but I dotn know alot of ppl running them Everyone loves the Blizzaks.
There was a few people on here that used them last year and loved them. They have a very similar tread pattern to the Hankook ipikeW409 and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta5.

nokian

hankook

general

Quick Reply: Getting Ready For Winter