Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo 8 alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 alignment issue

Hey guys,

I have a bone stock '03 evo 8 and this local tire shop is telling me that i need to get alignment kit on the front and back to adjust camber because the stock bolts are not adjustable. They quoted me $260 for the kit. Are they smoking crack? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

i think that is a bunch of bull. i was able to get an alignment on my 03 8.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
They are smoking crack.

There is a camber bolt in the front struts where the strut mounts to the hub with 2 selections. -1 and -2. In the rear there is a ton of adjustment.

Go to a better shop.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:08 AM

Im an alignment tech at my shop. Yeah the bolts can be turned 180 degrees for camber change. I did this to mine since the last owner lowered the car but didnt align it. Doesnt get it perfect but you dont want too much positive camber due to handling. b16bpower what shop did you go to??

The rear has both camber adjustment cams and toe adj. cams. Which can be fine tuned to get it perfect on the rear. Ask for the alignment specs for before and after. Hope you can find a shop with the newest laser alignment machine.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have an 03 EVO 8, the best I could get to was -1.75, my tire is shot now on the inside tread... I am pissed, totally ruined my Michellin Pilot Alpine PA 3s, now I have to get a whole new set.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

You had toe. Toe is harsh on a tire. Align for zero toe.

Think you have a typo there - negative. You wont see positive from the camber bolt change. Both settings are for -1 or -2. They get you close and with the +/- 30.

Front:
Name:  camber.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.9 KB

Rear:
Name:  rearcamber.jpg
Size:  38.5 KB
Name:  reartoe.jpg
Size:  59.4 KB
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Smike/Bcaruch, my car was lowered before my ownership with an unfortunate brand of springs (to be replaced), and recently I've noticed the inside rims wearing before the rest of the tire.

I know it could've been setup that way purposely, etc.. but could it be possible to adjust the camber for the front wheels to cater for the lowering and fix the issue ? i.e. maybe when it was lowered they didn't change it ?.

Forgive me, wheels and suspension really aren't my strong points.

Last edited by Sim2k; Jan 16, 2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endemic
Smike/Bcaruch, my car was lowered before my ownership with an unfortunate brand of springs (to be replaced), and recently I've noticed the inside rims wearing before the rest of the tire.

I know it could've been setup that way purposely, etc.. but could it be possible to adjust the camber for the front wheels to cater for the lowering and fix the issue ? i.e. maybe when it was lowered they didn't change it ?.

Forgive me, wheels and suspension really aren't my strong points.
Those springs green in color?

Do you know your current alignment settings? You might have -1.5 to -2.x up front, but toe is going to scrub away the rubber on the inside of the tire faster. Its possible they never got an alignment after installing the new springs. Its also possible that they have the camber bolts in the wrong places. Or its missing the camber bolts all together - seen those both.

You cannot change the camber bolt without getting an alignment. You will change the toe if you change the bolt.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Those springs green in color?

Do you know your current alignment settings? You might have -1.5 to -2.x up front, but toe is going to scrub away the rubber on the inside of the tire faster. Its possible they never got an alignment after installing the new springs. Its also possible that they have the camber bolts in the wrong places. Or its missing the camber bolts all together - seen those both.

You cannot change the camber bolt without getting an alignment. You will change the toe if you change the bolt.
Thanks for the info, I don't know the current camber setting. I'll run out and take a look later.

The springs are orange, so I'm fairly sure they're megan racing (no stickers that I can see). According to the megan website they have a 2" drop on the front. It gives the car a great stance, but after reading a fair amount on here I realize they're basically crappy springs. Assuming orange = megan racing ?

I will probably change them out for full coilovers sometime, especially if the struts start popping.

I was just hoping a simple camber bolt change might fix the issue due to the lowering, but it sounds like I need a proper alignment for 0 toe, is that right ?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endemic
Thanks for the info, I don't know the current camber setting. I'll run out and take a look later.

The springs are orange, so I'm fairly sure they're megan racing (no stickers that I can see). According to the megan website they have a 2" drop on the front. It gives the car a great stance, but after reading a fair amount on here I realize they're basically crappy springs. Assuming orange = megan racing ?

I will probably change them out for full coilovers sometime, especially if the struts start popping.

I was just hoping a simple camber bolt change might fix the issue due to the lowering, but it sounds like I need a proper alignment for 0 toe, is that right ?
Or Tanabe, which I believe are a light orange also. But if the car is slammed. More likely the Megan springs and riding on the bump-stops.

Correct, you should get the car on a rack and see what the current alignment is. Then correct the issues that present themselves.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
More likely the Megan springs and riding on the bump-stops.
I've wondered about this myself, but I've never once felt the thud of a bump-stop and believe me I have thrown it around corners. I'm thinking that the bump-stops were probably cut, in my experience it's quite obvious when you hit one. I assume it's the same in the Evo ?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind Smike, I don't know how I missed this thread..

Bumpstop Thread

Some great info in there.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I guess it was my fault for taking my car to a local tire shop in the first place. I'll have to take a vacation day and take my car to a reputable shop here in CA (muellerized or west end).
Old Oct 4, 2011, 11:10 PM

Rear camber bolt

Does any one know where I can buy the rear eccentric camber bolt from? Mine got stripped, and isn't fully tq'd so now I can feel the car shift while driving, sucks! Pls message me ASAP!
Originally Posted by Smike
You had toe. Toe is harsh on a tire. Align for zero toe.

Think you have a typo there - negative. You wont see positive from the camber bolt change. Both settings are for -1 or -2. They get you close and with the +/- 30.

Front:

Does any 1 know where I can buy the rear camber bolt from? Every where I've been has the picture for the front camber bolts, or they don't sell them. I have yet to see the eccentric bolts for the rear camber. My left rear camber bolt got stripped, so sometimes I can feel the alignment shift while driving, not cool!

Rear:

Quick Reply: Evo 8 alignment issue