Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Apexi EXV N1 vs. BC Racing BR Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apexi EXV N1 vs. BC Racing BR Coilovers

I have narrowed down two sets of coilovers that I am interested in. The BC Racing BR's seem to have good reviews but I can't seem to find any threads regarding experience and durability of the Apexi EXV N1's. The only other option I am debating is Swift springs but it doesn't lower the car as low as I want to. Whats everyone's thoughts? I don't want to spend more than around $1200 as those are what the EXV's are going for and the BR's just under that.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure on evo's but the BC BRs are amazing on the 2 wrx's that we have installed them on in the past month.

And im on Bilsteins and Swifts and its low enough to look good but not low enough to scrape on everything. I do scrape sometimes
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are definitely more BC's on the road vs Apexi's. Both are great brands and definitely wont' leave you disappointing.

I'd consider Megan Racing coil overs, they work just as well and are pretty reliable.

Last edited by VRSF Tiago; Aug 11, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
I ran Apexi EXV N1's in my Evo 8 for a couple years. Lots of track time. I loved them for what they cost. They are built well.

Also saw 3 seasons of Tahoe snow and they still looked new after washing them down.

I actually had faster lap times at Thunderhill with the EXV's then when I switched to KW V3's.

Go figure.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bryan, what kind of spring rates did you run on the KWs vs the Apex'?

---------

i've had OTS BC BRs on my WRX, Megan Tracks (the older ones) on my Evo and i'm currently running Ohlins R/T (with the DFV valving). while the former coilovers are decent for the money, i do feel that the Ohlins are worth every single penny even at 3x the price. a handful of my friends have BCs on their Evos/WRXs and another has TiCs (AST 4100s) and the biggest difference between euro coilovers vs taiwanese ones is ride quality. if the roads and tracks you live by are smooth, i'm sure you can get by with the taiwanese stuff because the spring rates will do a better job of keeping your car from rolling and pitching than the stock setup, therefore minimizing weight transfer and giving you a sense of improved handling.

the roads up here are really bad even by Canadian standards and as such, i need something that not only handles good but rides good as well. every single mid range euro coilover (KWs, Ohlins, ASTs) i've ridden in rides GREAT. the taiwanese/japanese stuff, not so much. granted, not all asian coilovers are created equal, but really most of them are waaay overdamped in the high [piston] speed region, meaning you'll feel very rut, puthole, expansion joint, manhole cover, train tracks, trackside gator etc. given a strong enough stomach, it might not be a huge concern for daily driving, but being bumped off the line on the track is frustrating to say the least.

like everything else in life, suspension is all about compromise. ride, handling, price - choose 2
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
I ran Apexi EXV N1's in my Evo 8 for a couple years. Lots of track time. I loved them for what they cost. They are built well.

Also saw 3 seasons of Tahoe snow and they still looked new after washing them down.

I actually had faster lap times at Thunderhill with the EXV's then when I switched to KW V3's.

Go figure.
Don't let Smike see that one, LOL.

All the 1500 and below coilovers are basically the same (let some people tell it BC Racing, Megan, Tein, Apex'i, Tanabe......all made in the same factory). Don't know if there is any truth to that. Make sure you pic your spring rates properly. Most of the OTS coilovers have the spring rates stiffer in the front/softer in the rear and for Evo's its the reverse.

If I had to do it ll over again I'd go either Ohlins or Swift's with Bilsteins. When I look for a reason to swap suspension out I'll be looking at either the Bilstein PSS(10 for now but by the time I buy they will probably be on 11's or 12's) or Ohlins DFV's 9Or whatever they have changed the name to now/in the future.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:23 AM
Account Disabled

BC Racing produces those Apexi coilovers and the MR coilovers overseas. So all three sets will be pretty much identical

edit : Not the same producer as Tein though. Also can't say if its the same deal with Tanabe.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VRSF Tiago
There are definitely more BC's on the road vs Apexi's. Both are great brands and definitely wont' leave you disappointing.

I'd consider Megan Racing coil overs, they work just as well and are pretty reliable.
I heard BC makes both Apexi and Megan coil overs. From personal experience with Megan, I would not suggest them. My fronts were blown within months and after winter, the lock nuts got rusted and seized. After just ONE winter. Don't get me started on the POS pillow ball mounts. Once those blew, driving became very annoying. Clunking all the time.

For the same price, you should look into Fortune Auto 500 series. $500 more will get you Swift springs and maybe helper springs.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:33 AM

What are your guys recommendations are far as springs rates are concerned. With both the BR's and EXV's they are stock with 8K up front and 6K in the rear. It will be my daily driver and see track maybe once or twice a year. The advantage I have with the BR's is my buddies friend works there and will give me a different spring rate without charging me and it's close to where I live so if I have warranty issues its no problem. How about upgrading to Swift coilover springs in the future? Anybody have good things about that?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by fightex
Bryan, what kind of spring rates did you run on the KWs vs the Apex'?
Both where out of the box rates.

Originally Posted by Dan@Assaultech
BC Racing produces those Apexi coilovers and the MR coilovers overseas. So all three sets will be pretty much identical
They might come from the same factory but the Megan coilovers are much cheaper build wise then the apexis. I actually had both sets side by side and you can tell the difference in materials, even though they shapes and such where identical.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Don't let Smike see that one, LOL.
Always more to a story.

Both where out of the box rates.

They might come from the same factory but the Megan coilovers are much cheaper build wise then the apexis. I actually had both sets side by side and you can tell the difference in materials, even though they shapes and such where identical.
Out of the box KW (9k front and 6k rear) and Apexi (8k front / 6k rear) spring rates are for street/average drivers (lot more front rate for more understeer -- safer for public). KWs are nice because of their internals. Good quality overall. And when matched to proper rates (GTWorx or RobiSpec'd) get suspension. It would be worth your while to get them setup right.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-your-evo.html
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Smike
Always more to a story.

Out of the box KW (9k front and 6k rear) and Apexi (8k front / 6k rear) spring rates are for street/average drivers (lot more front rate for more understeer -- safer for public). KWs are nice because of their internals. Good quality overall. And when matched to proper rates (GTWorx or RobiSpec'd) get suspension. It would be worth your while to get them setup right.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-your-evo.html
Yup I am fully aware of that. I didn't say the KW V3's are inferior in any way to the Apexi's. I know full well what the V3's are capable of as I've tuned some record breaking Nasa Time Trial evos that used "custom" V3's (not straight out of the box).

I was mearly stating a perfect 1:1 comparison of the two coilovers from my own personal experience. The Apexi's allowed lower lap times out of the box compared to the KW V3's out of the box, for me. This was in my personal Evo, that at the time, had at least 40+ track days under the car and driver. I also instructed at the time. I wasn't a track spring chicken.

Personally I hate(ed) the V3's out of the box. I know full well that they are capable if customized, but again, I was doing a direct 1:1 comparison with real world results. The coilovers where literally the only thing that changed at the time.

Last edited by razorlab; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Aug 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup I am fully aware of that. I didn't say the KW V3's are inferior in any way to the Apexi's. I know full well what the V3's are capable of as I've tuned some record breaking Nasa Time Trial evos that used "custom" V3's (not straight out of the box).

I was mearly stating a perfect 1:1 comparison of the two coilovers from my own personal experience. The Apexi's allowed lower lap times out of the box compared to the KW V3's out of the box, for me. This was in my personal Evo, that at the time, had at least 40+ track days under the car and driver. I also instructed at the time. I wasn't a track spring chicken.

Personally I hate(ed) the V3's out of the box. I know full well that they are capable if customized, but again, I was doing a direct 1:1 comparison with real world results. The coilovers where literally the only thing that changed at the time.
I hear you.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 09:22 AM

Your not the only one that claims that KWV3 has the slower laptime, than a normal monotube setup. This guy is a pretty decent driver, and ran 2 seconds faster with the HKS coilover back to back on buttonwillow.

http://www.maxrev.net/site/index.php...sion&Itemid=58

Quick Reply: Apexi EXV N1 vs. BC Racing BR Coilovers