Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

18x9.5 with 275 tires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
18x9.5 with 275 tires

Thinking of swapping my 245/40/18 18x9 +30 SVN's for 18x9.5 +35 Rota DPT's with 275/35/18 tires.

I have my rear fenders rolled, and was wondering if I will need to do any other modifications to make these fit? I'm currently lowered on Tein Coilovers, so height adjustment isn't a problem. Currently have the front inner fender covers off as well. If needed, I have a set of 5mm spacers that I can use if necessary.

I did a ton of searching for pictures/threads on making them fit, and it seems like some people run them with no problems, while others say to stick to 265's, but my problem is that this would be a straight trade, so 265's arent an option at the moment.

Thanks guys, any advice would be appreciated!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They will fit. A local guy out here in socal is running a set of 275 r888's oN stock fenders.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Depends on how much camber you are willing to run as well.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They will take some work, but they will fit. At least the 275/35/18. No idea if the wheels will clear everything. +35 is getting pretty tight on the rear trailing arm. No idea if they clear the calipers either.

There is lots of info in the wide tire thread.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Basically this is my gf's DD, and if this is going to be a huge headache to get to fit, I'll forget about the trade. Don't want her texting me that it's rubbing every time she takes a fast turn or big speed bump!

As I said, I already have rear fenders rolled, and I'm not opposed to maybe rolling a bit more, but if it will need lots of camber/pulling/blah blah, and still rub slightly afterwards, then it's not even worth it to me. Thanks for the help thus far guys.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

i would run a 5-10mm spacer. i run the same wheels with hoosier a6 275/35/18's. i rub a bit at full lock. with the spacer i dont.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:25 AM

tires

should fit with a 5mm spacer up front, rears might need more rolling/pulling but that depends on how much you did the first time around.

good luck

Post up some pic's of the fit.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
I'd say stick with 265s. Any particular reason(other than bragging rights and maybe looks) why your want to run a 275?

From a performance standpoint your not really benefiting from a 275 as opposed to a 265. And your also adding more rotational weight and cost per tire(these are not so important for street use) but just stating simple facts.

A 265 is properly stretched on a 9.5 inch rim so the sidewall of the tire is in correct alignment as opposed to a meatier tire which will stick beyond the edge of the wheel.

BUT.. if this is not important to you and you just want to run a wider tire for what I said on the first line of my post, then go for it

You already have the car pretty much set to run 275s. Offset will play a key role and with a +35 you might run into some inboard rubbing. I say instead of running a +35 just get them in a +22 or which ever offset Rota offers the DPT which is at least less than +30. This will keep you from having to run spacers and just make camber adjustments. Because if you start using spacers from a +35, your effective offset will obviously less than +30 with a 5 mm spacer or bigger.

Here is a member who runs a 275 on 18x9.5 NT03s. Might want to send him a PM. Or he might chime in.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-content.html
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

"while others say to stick to 265's, but my problem is that this would be a straight trade, so 265's arent an option at the moment."

no one reads anymore....

other than that everything that has been said is good advice. with the right combo of height, spacers, and neg camber you can make them fit just fine. good luck and post pics
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, just contacted my friend who is running the same exact setup (forgot about him, d'oh!)...he is running the +35 with no spacers, and 275s all around...he said the only time it ever rubs is on really hard turns (in the rear)...he said as long as I'm rolled in the back, it should be absolutely fine.

So, I'm going to do the trade, throw the 5mm spacers up front, and if more rolling is needed than I'll do it.

I guess rim for rim, the 18x9.5 +35 DPT's are way better choice than the 18x9 +30 SVN's, both in looks and performance dept...so if the tire size DOES turn into a headache, I'll just throw on 255's and call it a day.

Thanks for the input guys, you made me a lot more confident that this setup should work fine with a little bit of adjustment where necessary.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by SRToad4
he said the only time it ever rubs is on really hard turns (in the rear)...he said as long as I'm rolled in the back, it should be absolutely fine.
Please dont settle for a little rubbing.

Running big rubber like 275's and above usually involves rolling & rear fender pulling as well as relocating the bumper cover bolt
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Are there threads talking about relocating the bumper bolt?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Please dont settle for a little rubbing.

Running big rubber like 275's and above usually involves rolling & rear fender pulling as well as relocating the bumper cover bolt
+1

I was running aggressive rims and tires and even "a little rubbing" was extremely annoying, low speed parking lot maneuvers were the worst. Any type of road bump was also a pain.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Takes some work but I've seen it done. Will fit the wheels fine.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Holy hell..

again, i run these SAME wheels. WITH A 275 TIRE!!!!!

NO rubbing on the back. no bumper bolt trimming. Just rolled the rear, and they were good to go.

Rubs in front at full lock if you dont have a spacer.
End of thread!

no close ups. sorry

Also another buddy in town runs the SAME setup! he called me, asked what i run because it just fits, and he got the SAME SETUP!
Rota DPT 18x9.5 +35. he runs a 10mm spacer in front. NO issues!. just a roll in the rear!

take advise from those who OWN and use the wheels. if you go lower offset in the rear, you will rub.

Quick Reply: 18x9.5 with 275 tires