Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

one tire for AutoX and Dragstrip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one tire for AutoX and Dragstrip

If you had to run 1 tire in both events, what would be best?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what class in autox?

so depending on what class i'd choose these.

-STU class- dunlops star specs or hankook rs3
-BSP/SM/ prepared class- hoosier a6 or kumho v710's (just roll out at the drag strip, not the best tire for drag)

my choices.

Last edited by sujinX; Feb 12, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They really are 2 different worlds when it comes to tire choice. But as stated above if it was a street tire class for AutoX then I would say the RS3. I think it would be a little more drag friendly then the *spec. However I was cutting 1.7 60's on my *specs when guys on A6s were doing 1.65-1.8 60's at a pro solo last year. (yes I races street tires in an SM class)
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Pick your tires based on Auto-x. The beauty of these Evo's is their ability to drag with street tires.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Conti Extreme Contact DW is a great all around tire, I use it for both.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:48 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going agree here with EvoJoe, which is nothing new. THe two disciplines are vasly different in regards to tire needs. On the very basic level, autox require the stiffest sidewall whereas a soft sidewall is optimal for drag launches. You'll be sacrificing optimum performance between the two types of racing.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

this is any tire i want. Buschur Shootout, Max Effort is what i'm planning for. guess i should have explained it better in OP, i'm not trying to be cheap and get a tire i can do everything with, like drive in the rain.

i did figure i'd at least be leaning towards the autox side of the spectrum, since i can only assume all out drag tires can't handle the sideload and would squirm like crazy if they can.

and for AutoX classing, seperate form the shootout, well, my random mods put me in stupid high classes where i could never be competitive. I just like having fun. This car also RallyX's. I'll be at the shootout with my skidplate I need to learn to drag still though...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Was going to guess you were going for the Max Effort. Cannot wait to see the shootout this year! Hope Dogbox racing will make it! Good luck in your tire selection.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AreSTG
If you had to run 1 tire in both events, what would be best?
The one you drive the rest of the time. If you're not serious enough about either to choose an application-specific tire, why bother? Just concentrate on improving your driving. If I had to actually choose a tire that would be evenly split between both, as well as street driving, I'd buy the V12s, perhaps the DWs (which I have not personally driven). Edit: Just read OP's comment regarding the shootout. My recommendation does not change, FWIW

Last edited by FJF; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
The one you drive the rest of the time. If you're not serious enough about either to choose an application-specific tire, why bother? Just concentrate on improving your driving. If I had to actually choose a tire that would be evenly split between both, as well as street driving, I'd buy the V12s, perhaps the DWs (which I have not personally driven). Edit: Just read OP's comment regarding the shootout. My recommendation does not change, FWIW
negative, i won't split these with street driving. I'm going to buy another set of wheels just for competition use. Probably be going as wide as i can. I think the RPF1's are at the top of my list right now. they jsut seem so damn light for the price. I don't give two ****s what they look like to be honest.

tirerack says 17x8.5 will fit, which makes me think a 17x9 probably isnt a problem in the real world with fender rolling, if that's even neccisary.

So, i'll take a looka t all the recomendations guys thanks. My big decision is do i get DOT legal and drive them to the event, or just get racing tires and lug them around, worrying my BBS's will get stolen while i compete...
Old May 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AreSTG
negative, i won't split these with street driving.
As has been explained ad nauseum, there is no set of tires equally cable of handling two totally different disciplines, especially at their extremes. To maximize one you have to diminish the other. Equalizing both aspects of performance lands you at a street tire, as mentioned in the post to which you replied above.

I'm going to buy another set of wheels just for competition use. Probably be going as wide as i can. I think the RPF1's are at the top of my list right now. they jsut seem so damn light for the price. I don't give two ****s what they look like to be honest.

tirerack says 17x8.5 will fit, which makes me think a 17x9 probably isnt a problem in the real world with fender rolling, if that's even neccisary.

So, i'll take a looka t all the recomendations guys thanks. My big decision is do i get DOT legal and drive them to the event, or just get racing tires and lug them around, worrying my BBS's will get stolen while i compete...
RPF1 17x8.5 +30 (IIRC) fit with no issues. 17x9 can have issues. Run a search.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

ok, well i think the consensus seems to be plan for autox and deal with a less than optimal tire for drag. Maybe a bit taller sidewall will help with the hookup on the drag section.

I'm pretty much at the point where i just need to figure out sizing options, and decide which tire optimized for autox best suits my application. I am 100% new to the race tire scene, have only ever used street tires in autox, rallyx, and drag racing. Sizes are certainly limited on the racing tires, so my wheel choice is going to have to match my tire choice i think, rather than pick a wheel and find something that fits it. If a 275 will fit on a 9" wide wheel that's probably where I'll be at, once i find out what all is involved getting a 9" in there.

I cannot imagine a street tire giving a better overall score in Max Effort, than a tire designed for racing, even if not drag at all. Unless I'm not taking something into account, an R-compound autox tire will still provide more hookup than a street tire on teh strip. OR, since I have no experience with r compounds and slicks and such, maybe I'm completely off.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
definitely searching into this, i think that will be the biggest deciding figure on my setup.
Old May 10, 2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
He is right. You will need spacers to clear the brembos with the 17 x 9.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

right now until i find something that sounds more appealing, it's looking like 18x9.5 with Hoosier A6's in 285/30.

Quick Reply: one tire for AutoX and Dragstrip