Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech Bobcat nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's fine. We'll just pull the Bobcat pads for the EVO off the market then.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 04:39 PM

Wow i was really expecting something more like ok lets try to figure this out!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, they would rather just admit defeat. They won't even try to fix their products or support their FORMER customers. Definitely a company to stay away from at all costs. And here they were talking **** about the EBC's pads - at least EBC would offer replacement pads, but Carbotech is just a mom and pop company, nothing you can expect support from.

Actually, with this lack of support, how the heck could you ever want to buy anything from Carbotech in the future? If they won't help out their customers with Bobcats on the Evo, what makes you think they will help you with the Panthers if you had complaints?

"It's my ball and I'm taking it home!"

Last edited by jansolo; Jan 26, 2004 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

We have figured it out.

The Bobcat friction material has a coefficient of friction that is too high for the EVO system. Because the coefficient is high, you need little clamping force to effectively stop the car on the street. The rotor begins to vibrate because there is not sufficient clamping force to prevcent it from vibrating. This vibration is what you hear as noise. This is *exactly* the same thing that happens when a wine glass resonates when you rub your finger on the rim. If the noise goes away with increased pedal pressure (more clamping force), this is absolutely what is going on.

We've tried chamfering the pads.
We've recommended re-using the OE shims.
We've recommended using disc-brake quiet goop.
Nothing works for the EVO system.

The only other solution is to make a low friction coefficient brake pad that requires a higher clamping force to generate the same brake torque. We aren't going to do that. We spent 2 years developing Bobcat. We can't invest the time/money to do that for one brake system.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry to hear that Matt.

So what does that mean for people already with the Bobcats?

Also, you're saying it needs more clamping strength and a lot of honda owners i know have bobcats with no issues at all. Doesn't our brembo system clamp harder than honda brakes?? Is it then because of our pad surface area?

Last edited by Coolguy949; Jan 26, 2004 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:08 PM

You didnt mention this shortcoming when they were sold to me!I could live with just the noise,but no better braking than stock and the same amount of dust also was not how these were advertised!?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Also, you're saying it needs more clamping strength and a lot of honda owners i know have bobcats with no issues at all
Correct! Becuase their braking systems are so much smaller and less efficient than the EVO system, they do require a much higher line pressure (clamping force) than the EVO. In addition, their rotors are MUCH smaller, which makes it harder than the EVO rotor to get vibrating. Result: no noise.

I have Bobcat pads on both of my cars (SE-Rs), a car I sold last month (Eclipse), and my girlfriend's Altima. Larry (the owner) has it on his F150 and Acura CL. All have typically small OE systems. Zero noise. None, at all ever. Nothing.

I will go to bat for you guys and try to talk the boss into a buy-back program. But don't hold your breath...

Last edited by Maddmatt; Jan 26, 2004 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't our brembo system clamp harder than honda brakes?? Is it then because of our pad surface area?
Actually, because your brake system has so much more pad/rotor contact area, you will, generally speaking, need less clamping force to stop your car compared to a Honda. The fact that your caliper can generate more claping force than a Honda's single piston caliper has nothing to do with it.

3 things that affect brake torque are:
1)Brake line pressure (same thing as clamping force).
2)Coefficient of friction of the pad.
3)Area of contact between the pad and rotor.

The EVO has a BUNCH of #3.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt
I will go to bat for you guys and try to talk the boss into a buy-back program. But don't hold your breath...
That's where the customer service and loyalty should come in. If he denies it, then he is admitting he has none of either.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Matt, I'd be interested in a buyback program. Or maybe you can give me credit towards some panther + or just trade them for panthers at no cost to me. That would really make me happy.

Otherwise a buyback program would be great.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

heres the deal, you sold "as for the EVO" a brake pad that is ineffective and unsafe to use. you admit that they are not for the EVO and are a safety hazard to use on the car they are advertised for. you BETTER buy them back or i smell a class action lawsuit from the FIRST accident becuase you sold pads that are admittendly not for the car. Imagine GM saying publicly "ya we know the car blows up when you turn left, but oh well"

it doesnt work for them, and it wont for you.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Huh?

Noisy brakes = Unsafe

Actually, I should say: Noisy brakes that stop the car quicker and with less chance of fade = unsafe

Joe
www.joe250.com

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Feb 3, 2004 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

heres the deal, you sold "as for the EVO" a brake pad that is ineffective and unsafe to use
Umm...sorry but you are *VERY* wrong. They stop the car great. There is absolutely nothing unsafe about the operation of these pads at all.

you admit that they are not for the EVO and are a safety hazard to use on the car they are advertised for.
I did no such thing. Please point out where I did.

you BETTER buy them back
Oh really?

i smell a class action lawsuit
Good luck with that...

becuase you sold pads that are admittendly not for the car
Where the **** are you getting this **** that we sold pads "not for the car"?!?

For the love of God, think before you post.
What he said.

There ARE, however, numerous triable suits for breach of contract. If anyone feels like persuing this, scan up the contract for the purchase and hit me up.

If anyone wants to know more about if before proceeding, hit up "implied warranty of merchantability" on google. That should help a bit.
There is a VERY clear disclaimer on every box of brake pads that leaves our shop. There is no performance warranty expressed or implied. The only warranty offered is craftsmanship: If they fall apart, we'll gladly replace them or refund your money. That's not what's going on here at all.

Last edited by Maddmatt; Jan 26, 2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Maddmatt
There is a VERY clear disclaimer on every box of brake pads that leaves our shop. There is no performance warranty expressed or implied. The only warranty offered is craftsmanship: If they fall apart, we'll gladly replace them or refund your money. That's not what's going on here at all.
Right. What's going on here is "The Bobcat friction material has a coefficient of friction that is too high for the EVO system". That sounds like the pads aren't exactly the best setup for the car to me.

So, we'll seduce you with marketing pablum like "Bobcat offers outstanding performance when cold, very low dusting, and low noise with an excellent initial bite.", but if you find that ain't the case, then we were just blowing smoke.

Another lesson learned, my fellow owners. Stick with the bigger, well-known brands that can afford to do the proper testing of product. The small-time guys can't afford to stand behind their product.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Maddmatt There is a VERY clear disclaimer on every box of brake pads that leaves our shop. There is no performance warranty expressed or implied. The only warranty offered is craftsmanship: If they fall apart, we'll gladly replace them or refund your money. That's not what's going on here at all.
My friends have Panther XPs on their 240s are they make noise when they brake, but nothing like this. Now, I like the way the brakes *feel*, but I just dislike the way they sound. And the way they should goes against the product marketing claim. Now, if the marketing claim had said "great bite, makes noise though so be prepared to live with it", I probably would have skipped the product OR understood that I was going to experience a good deal of brake squeal. But, this pad is marketed as an everyday street driving pad, not a uber high performance track pad.

Look, we are not asking you to break the bank - just try to be fair to us - your customers

Quick Reply: Carbotech Bobcat nightmare!!