Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

help!! Tein lowering or stock susp.??

Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help!! Tein lowering or stock susp.??

Hey guys. wondering if anyone could give me any imput on lowering springs. I drive a gg evo9 mr. Looking to get a set of S. Tech Teins lowering springs. Would my stock mr ix springs drive better and work better or are the tein's a little better? Looking for a temporary drop till maybe late next year to get full tein coilovers. I might take (literally) a couple nights of hard turning, other than that i will be doing some street drag racing. Might be at 400-450hp in a few months. one more question if i did lower on these springs would i have to roll my fenders? rolling on 18s, 255's/35zr18..

Thanks for the help. I know full set of coilovers would be much better. but would i be doing the wrong thing by installing these? thanx for any imput fellas
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
tien are garbage, get swift spec r or sport if you want the most drop and best handling; get gtworx if you want a little drop and best handling

stock > tien

also, full coilover wont be "better" than stock, especially not the bilsteins. under $1,500 coilovers are just "pick your color" and are only really there for getting the stance and lowered look you want. they aren't going to improve the handling in any drastic way
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

awesome info ! are those swift spec r's as good as my mr stockies?

anyone else?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Js evo9mr

anyone else?
<grin> You have one of the best cornering cars of all time and you want to change that setup for some underdeveloped, haphazardly conceived cosmetic function. Of course stock is better. This isn't a Nissan Versa. Good luck.

Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
tien are garbage, get swift spec r or sport if you want the most drop and best handling; get gtworx if you want a little drop and best handling

stock > tien

also, full coilover wont be "better" than stock, especially not the bilsteins. under $1,500 coilovers are just "pick your color" and are only really there for getting the stance and lowered look you want. they aren't going to improve the handling in any drastic way
Good advice right here.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
Good advice right here.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-evo-8-rs.html

Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yea i dont do alot of cornering. Might take a couple good turns here and there but i mostly street race and daily drive. might start going to a 1/8 mile we have close here. Thanx for all the imput!

Might be getting me a set of swift spec r's. Anyone have these and love them? or hate them? on a ix mr..

Also anyone have any info on if i would have to roll my fenders? or any modifications? wheel size up top..

Last edited by J.Js evo9mr; Mar 12, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have Tein S Techs on my car and they worked alright, they were good for increasing down force, they reduced roll during cornering but they also caused more under steer it seemed. I am back on stock rally suspension on my VIII and I do have to say that cornering is much more fun on this setup . I can kick out and swing the back end around when I want and I can also keep it planted to the ground when I need to really pull through a corner. The car is more nimble with the stock setup and I doubt after reading all this input that I will ever go back to the springs. Coilovers maybe way down the road and that will include some serious CA$H to get the right ones. IMO I like the Rally suspension better but that's my personal preference for my driving style, I don't go for cosmetics over performance.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03BoostedVIII
Tein S Techs were good for increasing down force

Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Why would you be confused? I only installed coils because I like the stance. As for performance I will always have my stock struts on the side so I can swap depending on what I will be using my car for...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:22 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Why would you be confused? I only installed coils because I like the stance. As for performance I will always have my stock struts on the side so I can swap depending on what I will be using my car for...
I'm genuinely curious; what are the logistics of the process? The mood to drive strikes, and one installs a real suspension, gets an alignment and only then decides to set out on the road some 3-4 hours later and at least $100 poorer?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03BoostedVIII
I used to have Tein S Techs on my car and they worked alright, they were good for increasing down force,
^^^^Say whaaaaaaaat?!!?!

As far as answering your question. The first response is right on the money. Seriously any company that installs the spring rates of their coilovers backwards from what it should be on an evo is a waste of money...cough Tein cough...

Seriously save your money, and don't be a retard and street race
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I'm genuinely curious; what are the logistics of the process? The mood to drive strikes, and one installs a real suspension, gets an alignment and only then decides to set out on the road some 3-4 hours later and at least $100 poorer?
Can I ask why the **** you are so rude to me on the forum? iuno what I ever did to you but first comes the rude comment about my low evo, then the low blow about my ex gf when clearly she was the *****. now this. Seriously dude iuno what you're problem is. I was only giving my input in this topic.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Can I ask why the **** you are so rude to me on the forum? iuno what I ever did to you but first comes the rude comment about my low evo, then the low blow about my ex gf when clearly she was the *****. now this. Seriously dude iuno what you're problem is. I was only giving my input in this topic.
Sorry chief, but asking about Tein anything in the "Handling" section is gonna get you flamed. The demerits of those **** springs are well quantified and qualified yet everyday we get more posts asking about how amazing they are.

Stance belongs in Show n shine. This is where people come to talk about improving function not form.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Sorry chief, but asking about Tein anything in the "Handling" section is gonna get you flamed. The demerits of those **** springs are well quantified and qualified yet everyday we get more posts asking about how amazing they are.

Stance belongs in Show n shine. This is where people come to talk about improving function not form.
Uhm, I don't own tiens, I have hsd's and have ner even made a topic relating to them. I was simply agreeing with another members suggestion/input look at my earlier post..then of course FJF has to come in and flame at me for nothing.. and even if ther is still no reason to be just plain rude.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help!! Tein lowering or stock susp.??