Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

New wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheels and tires

I have just purchased an Evo 8 WW with stock wheels and some Fusion tires. The tires are unevenly worn, one of them is basically new while the rear's are done completely.
The rims are also completely trashed, with curb rash everywhere and one is incredibly bent while it still holds air.
I've been looking around but I just can't get myself to spend a huge amount of money in wheels. Is there anything in between the super low quality models from china to the high end forged volk, work, and other?
I'm just looking for advice. I really like the way Work Emotion CR looks, just like XXR 527 or Rota G-force.
Is there something in the middle, with overall "ok" weight, "ok" quality and that look that i'm going for?
Sorry if this was already asked.

Thank you for any advice.

P.S. I belive Starspec tires are what I would be going with.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
byt
Evolving Member

while rotas are copies, i know of plenty of people with great experiences with them both on and off the track. as long as you're comfortable with them and can brush off the haters, get whatever makes you happy.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a wheel there is nothing wrong with them or staying stock.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have a good selection of mid priced wheels and tires that won't break the bank. Check them out here and call me with any questions.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

rotas are getting to the point where they cost as much as better quality wheels like enkei. i would see if they offer something you like.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:40 AM

thank everyone for the advice.
at n2oiroc , you definitely have a point. As i was quoted 2000 dollars for a set of g-force with Ventus rs3, which is more than I would pay for a set of enkei's with tires.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:42 PM

Wow I've been reading soo much on the forum lately. Soo confused...

I really like the way multispoke wheels look.
I am just undecided in what to get. I am a engineering student and I am on a budget, but I also understand that quality wheels are important.
I obviously cannot afford forged wheels under 2000 with tires included, therefore I abandoned that way.
Now talking about cast wheels. With Cast wheels, from my understanding, the lighter the wheels the weaker the wheels is.
Why is there such a huge difference with XXR 527 at 600 dollars, Rota G-force at 829 or Work Emotion CR KAI at 1550?
Is there a wheel in between these, from a reputable brand with a similar concave multispoke design, costing around the 1000 mark?

Sorry for the long post but I have a question? All of the people recommending to buy used expensive rims like volk, advan or other compared to new cheaper model. Doesn't aluminum forms fractures over time? Wouldn't a brand new wheel, even if made with a less pure aluminum cast, be less prone to cracks compared to a wheel that have been driven for years?

Thank you
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

its not just about cast vs. forged. design and engineering play a major role in strength. with many of these wheels, they charge for the name. as long as the wheel has certifications such as jwl or via they are going to be good quailty. there are a lot of good, strong cast wheels.

also, check these guys out, great prices and service. these are all evo 8/9 wheels. i have the pf01's and they are made in japan, not china.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Code=20999

these are sti fitiment, as long as they are +35 or lower numerically though, they fit the evo well. some listed are +50 which will not work.

http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...ory_Code=12004

Last edited by n2oiroc; Apr 18, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:49 AM

Thank you very much n2oiroc, you explained my questions.
I guess now all I have to do is decide what wheels I will buy from my evo.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure what look you're going for but you can get new 17x8.5 Enkei RPF1s for like $900. Light, strong, track proven.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apiazza2010
thank everyone for the advice.
at n2oiroc , you definitely have a point. As i was quoted 2000 dollars for a set of g-force with Ventus rs3, which is more than I would pay for a set of enkei's with tires.
That isn't remotely true. The tires are just as expensive as rota's. RPF1's or NT03's are a few hundred more than rotas
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dangle
That isn't remotely true. The tires are just as expensive as rota's. RPF1's or NT03's are a few hundred more than rotas
Look at the prices on wheeldude, rotas are very close in price.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Look at the prices on wheeldude, rotas are very close in price.
I know as I have owned a set of grids myself. When I was buying them it was a toss up between the grids and rpf1's. Grids were $1000 shipped and rpf1's were $1,500 shipped for 18x9.5. 17's are a different story as I can get a set of rpf1's for the same price as rota's. Rota's really aren't bad wheels. They are a little heavy but in that price range what isn't. In their defense I believe the weight of rota's are close to some higher quality brands. For 1k I felt like I got more than what I paid for out of my grids. To note rota's are similar in weight as NT03's. They might not be as strong but unless you have a track heavy car I doubt you will crack a wheel.

Last edited by dangle; Apr 21, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

My 18x9.5 enkei pf01's were $1,200 shipped. I was originally looking at rotas, but my top 3 colors and styles were all out of stock and they were $1,050 shipped.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
My 18x9.5 enkei pf01's were $1,200 shipped. I was originally looking at rotas, but my top 3 colors and styles were all out of stock and they were $1,050 shipped.
A PF01 is a nice wheel all around but it isn't the nicest looking wheel especially on an Evo. Maybe a few snapshots of your ride and it'll change my mind. My grids turned heads the same way my volks did and at the end of the day I was very satisfied with my budget wheels.

Quick Reply: New wheels and tires