Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

my brake squell is driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my brake squell is driving me insane

A few weeks ago I put girodisc pads and rotors all around. I haven't been able to get rid of the squelling. I picked up some brake grease and it didn't help at all. When I start driving when they are cold, they're fine for the first mile or two, but as soon as they warm up a little, they are loud EVERYTIME I hit the breaks at slower speeds. This is especially annoying since I go through gates all the time and the guards just give me a weird look. Anybody have some advice for me? I'm going to pick up some brake cleaner and clean the crap out of them, but as bad as they are, I don't see see that helping.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
did you put enough lubricating when you installed pads?
Old May 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

I always put a little silicone on the the pins and the anti-squeal shim, seems to help keep the noise down.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

I thought I put enough lube on the pads, ill probably pull them and slap a whole bunch more on them. I didn't even think about the pins. Ill go e that a try too. Thanks.
Old May 3, 2012, 04:51 PM

How many miles on the new pads?

There is a layer before you get to the actual pad compound. It makes the pad mate to the rotor more effectively. Some people call it the bed-in layer because the bed-in for the pad lasts as long as that layer is still there. This layer is always hard and abrasive and definitely squeaks. It took me 800 miles or so to get through it on EBC Redstuff in my 07 Si. Once you are through this layer do some hard stops to deposit some of the pad compound on the rotor. Just follow the bed-in procedure for those pads if you can find it.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

That's what I originally thought, but I did the bed in procedure. I have about 600-700 miles on them right now. I was hoping that was it, but since its still screaching I figured I'd ask. Ill try the stuff above and give it more time. I've heard so many good things about girodisc, somethings got to work...lol
Old May 3, 2012, 10:17 PM

Please update as my stock brakes are capable of shattering glass!! I get glares from everyone
Old May 4, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

pass finger on outer edge of rotor and see if there is a lip
if there is, then you need to machine it off
Old May 4, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you using the OEM angled shims?
Old May 4, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

There's no lip on the rotors, they are brand new. I'm using the shims that came with the magic pads. My last brake job I had somebody do it for me, I don't have the stock shims anymore.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoLai
Please update as my stock brakes are capable of shattering glass!! I get glares from everyone
Magic pads????? Magic pads are the quietest pads around. I'm sitting here trying to think of what one would have to do to get them to squeal.

Obtaining and applying the OEM shim with grease on both sides would probably be where I would start in an effort to solve your problem.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Magic pads????? Magic pads are the quietest pads around. I'm sitting here trying to think of what one would have to do to get them to squeal.

Obtaining and applying the OEM shim with grease on both sides would probably be where I would start in an effort to solve your problem.
Yeah that's the same thing I heard about the pads. That's why I'm suprised I'm having problems. I'm going to work on them tomorrow, hopefully something will work.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nic411
I'm using the shims that came with the magic pads. My last brake job I had somebody do it for me, I don't have the stock shims anymore.
My guess that maybe your problem. Those OEM shims are angled for a reason. By some new ones & put them back in.
I ran OEM shimless in the rear & the brakes howled something fierce. Re-installed the OEM shims, problem solved

Mike
Old May 4, 2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I will try all these methods this weekend and get back
Old May 5, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Well I just got done trying everything. Sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, greased the inside of the shims this time, and put silicone on the pins. Went out for a test ride and as soon as the brakes heated up a little bit....noisy as hell again.

To top it off, when I was spraying down one of the rear calipers, the brake cleaner ricocheted directly into my right eye. Now I have bad blurred vision. I'm pretty pissed right now...haha