Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

lowering 06 GSR IX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lowering 06 GSR IX

hey guys i just picked up a 06 IX gsr and i want to lower the car but the back seems to be perfect so my question is, is there anyone out there who has just lowered down the front of the car and left the back stock? thats all i really want to do and i think it will look good? any input on that like what springs/coilovers to use how much i would be able to drop just the front and will it mess anything up in the back if i just drop the front? thanks for all the help
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
could try something like swift spec r up front and gtworx in the rear. swifts drop 1.5" front and .8" rear, not sure what the gtworx rear drop is but I'd guess it's less than that
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
could try something like swift spec r up front and gtworx in the rear. swifts drop 1.5" front and .8" rear, not sure what the gtworx rear drop is but I'd guess it's less than that
OR he could do Swift Spec R ALL AROUND which is 1.4" up front and .8" rear
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

swifts. they will only cost you ~300 and install is simple
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a gsr evo ix and I went with tein springs to lower it at first, it was 2" front and I believe 1-1.5" in the back and I personlly love it. It looked loweed but not to much, it was about 300$ for front and back they come as a set and very easy to install.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:15 AM

Will either of those throw off camber badly? Is the stock control arms adjustable? I just don't want to drop the car and then mess up the drivetrain because of the drop that's why I'm asking. Thanks for the input guys keep it coming
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rawger
I have a gsr evo ix and I went with tein springs to lower it at first, it was 2" front and I believe 1-1.5" in the back and I personlly love it. It looked loweed but not to much, it was about 300$ for front and back they come as a set and very easy to install.
Tein are the WORST for the Evo (and generally terrible for all other cars). 2in is too low for the struts and geometry. Result is blown struts and crappy handing.

Originally Posted by c.scatena
Will either of those throw off camber badly? Is the stock control arms adjustable? I just don't want to drop the car and then mess up the drivetrain because of the drop that's why I'm asking. Thanks for the input guys keep it coming
You must get a new alignment with an suspension height changes. You adjust camber via the camber bolts the car came with. Not the control arms.

Please search and read more. I think you need to understand what everything on the car does a bit more.

PS - Swifts or GTWorx springs.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:21 PM

Ok thanks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My experience...

Swift&bilstein : front and rear seems even drop. About little bit more than 2 fingers gap all around.
Tanabe gf210 & bilstein: rear is higher. About 3 fingers gap in rear and front was pretty same as swift.
Tanabe gf210 & kyb: all around same. About 2 finger gap ( about tight fit )
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It is not a good idea to install mismatched sets like Swifts up front and GTWorx in the rear. I would use the sets from one or the other manufacturer.

Personally i like the Swift Spec-r as they are a little stiffer than the GTWorx. I wish the drop was less on the Spec-r say 1inch rather than 1.4" up front but you cant get everything unless you go custom or decent coilovers like the Ohlins or Motons etc ( $$$$$ ) .

You cannot go wrong with the GTWorx or Swifts on the OEM bilsteins. Pair them with a 24-25 mm rear bar set at medium for an effective street only setup.

If you want or need more such as for a car that sees a lot of track duty..add a 25-26mm front bar and the rear diff plate re-arrangement. Finish with an ACD ecu tune from ACD tuning or one of the others along with some decent driver training.

PS What Smike said about the alignment....make sure you get it properly aligned after being worked on
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
It is not a good idea to install mismatched sets like Swifts up front and GTWorx in the rear. I would use the sets from one or the other manufacturer.

Personally i like the Swift Spec-r as they are a little stiffer than the GTWorx. I wish the drop was less on the Spec-r say 1inch rather than 1.4" up front but you cant get everything unless you go custom or decent coilovers like the Ohlins or Motons etc ( $$$$$ ) .

You cannot go wrong with the GTWorx or Swifts on the OEM bilsteins. Pair them with a 24-25 mm rear bar set at medium for an effective street only setup.

If you want or need more such as for a car that sees a lot of track duty..add a 25-26mm front bar and the rear diff plate re-arrangement. Finish with an ACD ecu tune from ACD tuning or one of the others along with some decent driver training.

PS What Smike said about the alignment....make sure you get it properly aligned after being worked on
Excellent post.

- andrew