Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

IX Bilstein shocks + king springs vs other brand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IX Bilstein shocks + king springs vs other brand

Hey guys,

A few months ago I bought some used IX bilstein shocks with lowered king springs to put on my evo 8.

After reading many reviews it seems that king springs overal are nothing fantastic.
I was just wondering if me buying another set of springs, such as Swift spec R, Eibach Pro kit, or Tein S tech, H&R etc is worth it?
Like will there be a noticeable difference or am i better off saving my money. Most sets of

I'm after good handling for a Daily Driver with occasional track.
Roads around where I live are pretty horrendous so coilovers may be a bit too harsh.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterJT13
Hey guys,

A few months ago I bought some used IX bilstein shocks with lowered king springs to put on my evo 8.

After reading many reviews it seems that king springs overal are nothing fantastic.
I was just wondering if me buying another set of springs, such as Swift spec R, Eibach Pro kit, or Tein S tech, H&R etc is worth it?
Like will there be a noticeable difference or am i better off saving my money. Most sets of

Roads around where I live are pretty horrendous so coilovers may be a bit too harsh.

Thanks in advance
What are the rates on the King springs? And how far is the drop? Those (along with the actual consistency and accuracy of their measurements) are going to define any handling differences.

If the King springs are too stiff then your Bilsteins won't properly damp them. If they lower your car too far, then your roll center is going to be moved too far from its designed position for our car to handle properly. Finally, if they are inconsistent from one spring to the next, don't actually match their advertised spring rates, or have a very nonlinear spring rate across their travel due to some strange design defect, you're going to have other problems.

On the other hand, if the springs have a similar [actual] rate and drop to the usual suspects (GT Works, Swift) then you will notice absolutely nothing by changing springs.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

Take Tein out of that list.

Never heard of King Springs (Aus only?). Agree with Construct - lowering amount front and rear and spring rates needed.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:45 PM

Well drop is about 1.2" front and rear.

As for spring rates its hard to find a correct answer, I've read somewhere they are supposed to be about 1/3 stiffer than stock, but from other forums its been found that they are similar to stock stiffness if only a bit more stiff.

I think they are Aust only, and in my opinion they seem to be cheap and nasty springs the more i read, not sure why the previous owner put them on the bilsteins.

Why do Teins have such a bad wrap? They thought as decent in Aust.

If i do upgrade I'm thinking Swift Spec R or Eibach Pro kit. Just sucks it will cost me $500 + once I get them shipped over from the US

Last edited by PeterJT13; Jul 23, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Well drop is about 1.2" front and rear.

As for spring rates its hard to find a correct answer, I've read somewhere they are supposed to be about 1/3 stiffer than stock, but from other forums its been found that they are similar to stock stiffness if only a bit more stiff.

I think they are Aust only, and in my opinion they seem to be cheap and nasty springs the more i read, not sure why the previous owner put them on the bilsteins.

Why do Teins have such a bad wrap? They thought as decent in Aust.

If i do upgrade I'm thinking Swift Spec R or Eibach Pro kit. Just sucks it will cost me $500 + once I get them shipped over from the US
Sounds far too soft for lowering. Will run the risk of damaging the struts valving.

Teins are too low. You are on the bump stops with them. The suspension needs travel. They've blown hundreds of struts here all in the name of "cool drop".
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:31 PM

Thanks that's the sort of information I need. I want practicality, my evo isn't a show car and never will be
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I cant speak for king spring. I had swift and tanabe with bilstein. Both ride good but if i have to choose from two, i go with swift.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Mate
You might be in luck tonight, I'm just putting some Swift Spec R's on my Evo 9 now (i mean right now as in tonight and tomorrow, I've still got dirty hands from tonights work, would be done now but for a stupid 19mm socket thats not 19mm). These are on Bilstein MR shocks. Now the best bit, after I get them aligned and the cambers set, hopefully done on Thursday, you can come for a ride, if you can be bothered coming down to Dapto, where I work. Just PM me and we can line it up. Cheers
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks man, but I a guy in Sydney take me for a ride in his evo. My god, the difference is night and day (not that it is hard to improve on King springs on an evo). But I think the drop is slightly too low at the front for me, my car scrapes on my driveway sometimes already :/.

I'm going to give the eibachs a try, heard a lot of good reviews of them from other guys aswell.

Theres a few of us evo owners in the Wollongong area these days. Went to a meet the other week actually.

Are you on Evo Oz Forums?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thats ok. No I'm not on Evo Oz, I'm not a big fan of the way they run the website, anyway back to shocks. I've got everything set up now, -1.6 camber at the front, -1 at the rear, zero toe all round. Got a rear whiteline swaybar set to the middle stiffness. Car feels great compared to how it did on the stock KYB's, so much more compliant on the bumps, but stiffer and more confident in the bends. Could do with a bit more rebound, maybe the HD Bilstein would be better, but for the $700 that the shocks and springs cost me I'm very happy. The car is a lot quicker on the rough tarmac mountain passes that I drive on my commute to work. Got the idea for the Bilsteins/swift combo from Smike, so a big to him too! And to STM for the good price on the Swift Spec R's. Cheers