Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Nitrogen Tires?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrogen Tires?

Does anyone have a nitrogen tire base on their Evo to slightly increase mpg? or would that just be a waste?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It increases mpgs, tire life, safety and you dont have to check the pressure too often. So its not a waste, but I dont know how much they charge to fill them.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

I did a bit of research last time I changed my evos tires about nitrogen fills. Most of the info I found said it was a waste of money. Around here it's $5 per tire for the initial fill and I think you also get charged for topups (I think there are shops stateside that give you free topups as well). The general consensus was that the cost outweighed the small benefits. I didn't find any actual properly done research, just opinions but still I opted to stay with air.

Nitrogen fills are useful if you are racing and putting your tires through a lot of punishment as they don't vary in pressure as much as air under different conditions.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i think it'll be a waste. i mean there are free air stations if u look for them. its going to be even harder to find a 24hr nitrogen fill station if your tire goes low. i havent seen one around, i only know of nissan dealerships having one. but then again i didnt look because i dont have a gtr :-( ... yet
Old Sep 1, 2012, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I think costco does them for free. Costco is awesome.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 03:48 PM

IMO, it's a money making scam.
Consider this: Light aircraft typically don't even use Nitrogen in their tires even with the changes in altitude (pressure) and the subsequent temperature changes. Heavies do, granted but that's also going from ground level at ambient temps to 20K feet at sub zero (centigrade). Just my two cents worth.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Its effective? Yeah, at scamming you out of money.

It's a waste of money. And in racing its a more of a waste (psi changes per track conditions).

If you're looking to **** money into the wind; I have a PayPal account that accepts donations.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nitrogen you get from the tire shop is actually pretty Dry, Or low to no moisture present. Most your typical home Air compressor setups will use one to no Coalescing filters/Dryers to remove moisture that is always present in the air we breathe.

So the advantage of Nitrogen is that your positive its clean of Oils and Moisture.

If you go though tires every second like some people do then...Meh, why bother.

But if those tires have to stay around for awhile...then something to consider.

But go ahead and trust that Free Air station....im sure they drained all the oil and water daily.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Biggest scam ever, first off find a shop that actually fills the tire with 100% nitrogen? Most nitrogen tire fill machines filter out everything but the nitrogen... The machines are not perfect and you are left with roughly 90-95% nitrogen. The main reason nitrogen even came out was for race cars, in case of an accident with a fire, you are not adding extra oxygen to the fire.

I would say you will not even notice a hint of berrer fuel ecconomy
Seccond, why pay for whats free 78% already in the air we put in our tires

They advertice things like:
It wont leak if you get a nail but normal air will leak out
you will get better mpg
you dont have to check your tire pressures as often
blah blah blah

Its a sales pitch... if you buy into it, so be it... if its free then I will use it, if not, its really not worth it!

(for the info, we have a machine at my shop... so I fill my tires with it, but only becasue its free)
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:14 AM

I've talked to people who claim they've tested the differences and the results they claim they got were better than results with regular air filled tires
Old Sep 3, 2012, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nitrogen assures more consistent pressure increases due to increases in operating temperatures in a racing environment because of the absence of moisture.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BiFfMaN

But go ahead and trust that Free Air station....im sure they drained all the oil and water daily.
so if u go to a gas station to fill up and noticed your tire is going flat and not drive-able anymore and the "Free air station" is right there, you wouldnt fill it up? please nga get over yourself.

dont tell me your going to call your friend to go to your parents house to bring you your air compressor at 2am with your chick in your car so u can have "clean filtered" air. or better yet call a tow truck to tow it home and have her sit next to billy bob.

those stations are there for those kinds of circumstances.
you arent racing on the street bro, ur not even competing competitively.

nitrogen in tires daily= waste of money.
nitrogen in racing competitively= maybe
nitrogen when u have a million dollar sponsor behind you= ya they paying for it
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sujinX
so if u go to a gas station to fill up and noticed your tire is going flat and not drive-able anymore and the "Free air station" is right there, you wouldnt fill it up? please nga get over yourself.

dont tell me your going to call your friend to go to your parents house to bring you your air compressor at 2am with your chick in your car so u can have "clean filtered" air. or better yet call a tow truck to tow it home and have her sit next to billy bob.

those stations are there for those kinds of circumstances.
you arent racing on the street bro, ur not even competing competitively.

nitrogen in tires daily= waste of money.
nitrogen in racing competitively= maybe
nitrogen when u have a million dollar sponsor behind you= ya they paying for it
or i carry my own portable air compressor *gasp*....but good try trollin, you will have better luck in the newb fourms