Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

MR Billsteins Replace or Repair

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR Billsteins Replace or Repair

So no additional commentary needed as to the superiority of the OEM MR Billsteins...

Other than they look like garbage after 6yrs and 100K miles of all condition driving in the North East, if I'm looking to do only a mild set up are they worth trying to restore or should I just bite the bullet and source a fresh set of four?

I know alot of members buy them second hand with lower miles on them and send them out for service, but the lower models that I've seen pix of in the for sale forums all look better than mine do!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:30 PM

i have set laying around that have about 35k on them after i changed them out for coilovers, i would assume they are $ to be rebuilt.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you live without them for a little while? I would expect a turn around to take up to 2months (I could be wrong)... Do you use aftermarket springs or other suspension mods or you just want them restored to OE specs? A buddy of mine repainted his before the rebuild and they look great.

I would take all these things into account when making your decision.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:30 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bilstein charges $75/shock to rebuild. Its not as costly as buying a new set for the dealer, or try to source out the ever elusive HDs. Turnaround has been abour 2-3 weeks last I checked. Its a good alternative if you can afford the down time, and want to retain what you have.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:37 PM

Yeah, that's part of the problem... it's my main driver. So right now I can't afford to have it sit. I don't drive well enough in competition (yet) to warrant coilovers but if you do the math:

New Billsteins: $2000
Swift Springs: $300
New mounts front and rear: $500

For $2800 I could get KW Var. 3s or for a few hundred more the top dog Ohlins. Then have the freedom to adjust to whatever stupid wheel configuration I get into later. Getting a custom alignment is a wash, around here it's either cookie cutter or full custom.

I'm having a tough time justifying the costs of 'redo'ing the stock struts.

I know most basic dampers out there can't compete with the Billsteins but from what I'm reading there are some at the top level (inc. the ones mentioned) that can.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The only drawback to the 70 bucks a corner rebuild service is downtime. Could be 2 weeks, could be a month or so depending on the season.

- Andrew
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:58 PM

For the money I would just rebuild them. If down time is your problem then you can always get a rental car for $19 a day... But it sounds Like you already have your mind made up on the KW's
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jayfi21
For the money I would just rebuild them. If down time is your problem then you can always get a rental car for $19 a day... But it sounds Like you already have your mind made up on the KW's
Nah, my mind is far from made up! There is no clear choice for me... so I'll debate it untill the snow thaws. Either way I don't think my current Billstein's are salvagable. In a couple weeks life will slow down a touch and I'll get under there and give them a good once over. Who knows, maybe a resonable set of used ones will appear by then too.

Before a few weeks ago when I got active on the board I thought I was going to get some Tien's All I knew was my current struts were in need of replacement.

Again thanks to EvoM for helping me avoid a mistake!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:32 PM

Tire rack sells replacement oem Billsteins. For $600.00 brand new.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NewEnglandRT
Nah, my mind is far from made up! There is no clear choice for me... so I'll debate it untill the snow thaws. Either way I don't think my current Billstein's are salvagable. In a couple weeks life will slow down a touch and I'll get under there and give them a good once over. Who knows, maybe a resonable set of used ones will appear by then too.

Before a few weeks ago when I got active on the board I thought I was going to get some Tien's All I knew was my current struts were in need of replacement.

Again thanks to EvoM for helping me avoid a mistake!
Why do you think they aren't salvageable? They can rebuilt as long as they aren't physically damaged.

- Andrew
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by evopaul
Tire rack sells replacement oem Billsteins. For $600.00 brand new.
Billstein's yes.... MR OEM Replacement Billstein's no.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Why do you think they aren't salvageable? They can rebuilt as long as they aren't physically damaged.

- Andrew
The outer coating is peeling. It's probably a function of the nasty chemicals they put on the roads up here during the winter.

I'll try to snap some pics this weekend and add them to the thread.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

the only model to get bilsteins was the MR, the RS and GSR both had the KYB garbage shocks on them. so im pretty sure hes correct
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

For all intents and purposes they are the same - and if you're thinking about going to Swift springs, then the HD valving is probably slightly better than the stockers.

As an alternative, to keep you driving, you could always source a set of used KYB shocks to slap on the car while you're waiting for the Bilsteins to be rebuilt. Should be able to source a set of KYBs for next to nothing - that'll keep you motoring and will really let you appreciate the Bilsteins when they're back on your car.

l8r)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

The outer coating is peeling. It's probably a function of the nasty chemicals they put on the roads up here during the winter.

I'll try to snap some pics this weekend and add them to the thread.
Psssh...paint those suckers up and you're back in business. Don't even think about throwing them away. Even if you don't want them someone will buy them from you.

- Andrew