Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Declassified Tire Testing Trip. The New BFGoodrich g-Force Rival

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Am I missing something here?
How did they actually perform relative to each other other than wear?

Must have been a good time flogging the cars around trying to abuse the tires though.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
Why not compare apples to apples.

ZII v the BFG?
BFG paid for this event. "BFG is much better than R1R on a fat car" is a much better story than "BFG may or may not be better than the ZII because they are really close".
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
How many people to do you know running the R1R for ST? Its typically seen as a wet tire option where I race.

Stranos was also there. No times. Not all drivers present. No tuning for the tires.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Smike
How many people to do you know running the R1R for ST? Its typically seen as a wet tire option where I race.
Incredibly common in STC/STS but not much outside of that.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The event was a non-scientific comparison (except for maybe the skid pad). By feel, the BFG's will be a top ST/RT contender. We'll have to wait for some private testing to see real data.

Besides the RS3's, all other tires tested wont be a threat to BFG.

My prediction is a close battle between RS3's, Z2's, and the BFG Rivals.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Comparing a 140 UTQC tire to a 200 tire for wear just seems funny; unless the 200 matched the 140 tire on overall grip and performance. Then it's awesome.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
About done wrapping up my review. Just need some media stuff from my guys here and I'll post it up. Thanks for the patience.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very interested in seeing more info. My GT-R has all-seasons and I'm on the hunt for a fun set of summer tires that match the RE-11s in terms of performance and comfort that I had on my Evo X... meaning less road noise, but equal to or better then OEM summer tire grip in the dry and excellent wet traction.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
I'm very interested in seeing more info. My GT-R has all-seasons and I'm on the hunt for a fun set of summer tires that match the RE-11s in terms of performance and comfort that I had on my Evo X... meaning less road noise, but equal to or better then OEM summer tire grip in the dry and excellent wet traction.
I'd bet a quarter that neither the Dunlops nor the BFG's are going to meet that criteria. Another set of RE11s or something in the Michelin Pilot Sport family are probably better bets.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Comparing a 140 UTQC tire to a 200 tire for wear just seems funny; unless the 200 matched the 140 tire on overall grip and performance. Then it's awesome.
You know what's even funnier? When people try to compare tire wear numbers between different manufacturers... especially when they don't know that tire wear ratings can only be compared to that manufacturer's entire lineup, not across brands (i.e. Dunlop Star Spec tire wear rating can only be compared against other Dunlops.)

For comparison purposes between different manufacturers, tire wear ratings need to be thrown out and not focused on at all, otherwise it's just irrelevant data viewed in ignorance.

Last edited by DisgustipatedM3; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DisgustipatedM3
You know what's even funnier? When people try to compare tire wear numbers between different manufacturers... especially when they don't know that tire wear ratings can only be compared to that manufacturer's entire lineup, not across brands (i.e. Dunlop Star Spec tire wear rating can only be compared against other Dunlops.)

For comparison purposes between different manufacturers, tire wear ratings need to be thrown out and not focused on at all, otherwise it's just irrelevant data viewed in ignorance.
How do you figure? It is a universal measure of tire wear that is a standard process to evaluate a tire to a known standard tire. UTQC rating does not depend on brand.

It is also why racing organizations use the rating to qualify tires for street tire classes.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
How do you figure? It is a universal measure of tire wear that is a standard process to evaluate a tire to a known standard tire. UTQC rating does not depend on brand.

It is also why racing organizations use the rating to qualify tires for street tire classes.
https://www.facebook.com/notes/holli...45008598916447
Aren't UTQG treadwear ratings totally arbitrary anyway?

No, not totally. But there is some fudge.

UTQG treadwear comes from a real-live scientific test using a real car and a "100" standard tire as a comparable (some old Cooper design they still have to make just for the test). Testing is done in South Texas and tire makers contract to have it done, not the Feds. And they don't have to test every size. Just enough to feel confident about the rating based on their engineering. That's the first piece of latitude.

The bigger issue comes from the fact that the test is only for 7200 miles. Back in the day, that was plenty to wear out a tire...today, not so much. And since a tire does not wear at the same rate during the second half of its life as the first, you have to extrapolate in a non-linear fashion. There is no scientific formula for this so each manufacturer does it differently. That's the "fudge" you hear about.

Marketing forces often will push the fudge a little one way or the other. For example, Bridgestone makes some OE fitments that are treadwear rated at 140-160. To performance-oriented people, that signifies "sticky" and can be used to market the car on a positive note for that audience. OTOH, for an economy tire, the numbers might be pushed as far the other direction as you feel comfortable, based on the test results.That signifies long life to a value-oriented consumer.
More info
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
edited...

Last edited by Bassicfun; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassicfun
Interested in how these will compare to the zII, and even willing to give the v720s a chance..
in time. You'll start to see some private tire testing as spring time rolls around. I enjoy looking through event results and finding a common tire choice in the top finishers.

Last edited by EVOizmm; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:34 PM.