Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Weird ABS light issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird ABS light issue

My ABS light has started recently (in the last few days) staying lit from idle to ~15 MPH (RPM / gear independent), then turns off from ~15 - 60 MPH only to turn back on and flicker around ~60+ MPH (RPM / gear independent). Furthermore, nothing feels affected because I seem to brake fine, I don't feel the ABS kicking in, and braking does not cause the light to turn on. Evoscan is not reporting a DTC for the light.

I recently changed out my intake manifold and intake, as well as switched to Tephra V7; however, I cannot imagine any of those would cause this issue unless I disconnected something inadvertently. It almost seems like more of an electrical issue than a mechanical one. I plan to check the harnesses at the wheels, as well as the fuse (if there is one), but other than that I am at a loss...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by charon2123
My ABS light has started recently (in the last few days) staying lit from idle to ~15 MPH (RPM / gear independent), then turns off from ~15 - 60 MPH only to turn back on and flicker around ~60+ MPH (RPM / gear independent). Furthermore, nothing feels affected because I seem to brake fine, I don't feel the ABS kicking in, and braking does not cause the light to turn on. Evoscan is not reporting a DTC for the light.

I recently changed out my intake manifold and intake, as well as switched to Tephra V7; however, I cannot imagine any of those would cause this issue unless I disconnected something inadvertently. It almost seems like more of an electrical issue than a mechanical one. I plan to check the harnesses at the wheels, as well as the fuse (if there is one), but other than that I am at a loss...
Have you checked your fluid levels?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 04:44 PM

first step would to check your brake fluid level,
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by littlezrexer
first step would to check your brake fluid level,
I checked the brake fluid, it is half-way between "Max" and low. I plan to top it up, but I cannot see why the light would appear at that level of fluid; however, it does seem like a fluid issue because I can make the light go away at low speed by accelerating (under 10 MPH) in a tight turn (left or right, does not matter). The more severe the turn/acceleration, the quicker the light turns off.

I checked the wheels and everything seemed fine, nothing looked like it was out of place or rubbing....
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:40 PM

the Brake fluid reservoir has a sensor in it to warn the driver of the fluid level,
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:54 PM

charon2123, this was a while back, but did you end up finding the problem?

I have a very similar problem with 99 TME.

Update: My case turned out to be a false alarm. I have recently got a OBD cable which causes various lights to flash.

Last edited by smurfz88; Nov 11, 2014 at 05:32 AM.