Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EBC red yellow blue dusting ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
EBC red yellow blue dusting ?

I have reds in my evo 1. absolutely love how there is virtually no brake dust. I can drive a month before washing the wheels. the dust I get does not hurt the wheel finish. its barely evident from dust buildup that the front brakes work harder than rear. most of the dust buildup is from road dust and not the brakes. if you want to run white wheels on a car. these are the pads to use. my car is light so it doesnt need fantastic brake power. I am limited quickly by how much tire is on the ground (205). My only complaint about these pads is they suck when cold. they will not stop the car from 100mph when cold. really sucks as I have been caught many times testing the power before there is enough heat in the brakes. I want to try either yellow or blue. but I hate to loose the low dusting of the reds. So looking for feedback on dusting and what to expect from yellows or blues compared to reds. or yellows to blues. thanks
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check in with truth_dweller. He has a turbo charged Ralliart wagon with white wheels using the yellows. He was seeing plenty of dust I recall.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the blue in front with yellows in the back and I have white wheels. I'm constantly cleaning my wheels probably because I drive at least 150+ miles on the daily in my EVO, but the BITE is amazing and they usually dont really squeal so thats a plus. They bit good as well in cold weather conditions as well.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Check in with truth_dweller. He has a turbo charged Ralliart wagon with white wheels using the yellows. He was seeing plenty of dust I recall.
The yellow stuff lived up to their claim of being super sticky and SUPER dirty... Yes, the fronts were dustier than the rears, for said reasons. I decided to try the redstuff to see if they too lived up to their claim of being one of the cleaner pads yet maintaining +performance. It is still too early to come to any conclusions but I have a theory that may not hold any weight, and I looked on the EBC site for confirmation but couldn't find anything mentioned. Here's what I'm theorizing:

ANY pad on a smooth, non-featured rotor is going to produce less dust than the same pad against a featured, ie; slotted, dimpled, drilled, rotor. I was running with slotted/dimpled rotors with the yellowstuff, and now slotted/drilled with the redstuff. Therefore, I'm anticipating a still dirty wheel, albeit less, with the redstuff.

Edit: I found something,

"I should also point out that the pad lining wear for the slotted rotor was very severe during the test, i.e. the pad was chewed up over 20% more than the lining with stock rotors." - http://www.ebay.com/gds/Drilled-vs-s...5243690/g.html

"Of course, slotted brake rotors aren't perfect, either. They tend to wear down brake pads very quickly." - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...ke-rotors2.htm

Last edited by truthdweller; Jan 26, 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Order of dusting from less to more red<yellow<blue<orange

Yellow dusts a fair amount on my EVO * MR with BBS's.. Clean them every 2 weeks.

Order of stopping power without heat in brakes less to more

orange<blue<yellow<red

Having used several grades, I will say, the yellows work perfectly fine cold and bite well. As noted below, slotted rotors might dust more than the Flat OEM rotors with any pad.

You might have to warm the blues up a bit by dragging them for the first couple of stops. NEVER use orange stuff on the street, you wont get enough heat into them.

Yellows are the perfect street/autox/occasional track pad IMHO

Last edited by WRC-LVR; Feb 4, 2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Voila, not only the yellow stuff, but the slots are the culprit to my front rotors being "SUPER dirty"! I'm going to call it "the cheese-grater effect."
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
truth, how long ago did you switch to the reds?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
truth, how long ago did you switch to the reds?
I just did a complete front brake job on Jan 07...

Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting ready to order pads, good info.