Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

wheel bearing question

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wheel bearing question

hey guys can you pls tell me what is the symptoms of bad bearing.i dont hear any suspiciuos noise yet but today i lift the rear of my car to change shocks and tried to move wheels while they in the air.and it had a little movement.i dont know how to explain but i did up/down quick shaky move.no movement left/right .i dont know maybe its normal because of the rubber bushings being in the control arm.tell me what you think and thanks.
Old May 7, 2014, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
All the wheels bearing issues I've dealt with have made some noticeable noise. And the wheel will have movement when the car is up in the air. If your not sure take it to a shop and have it looked at.
Old May 7, 2014, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
wheel bearings normally make a rubbing sound when turning one direction and not the other most of the time. at least in my experience thats been the case, if makes the noise when your turning right its the driver side and when your turning left its the passenger side. hope that makes sense
Old May 7, 2014, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if theres a kind of whirring or spinning vibration noise coming from one of the wheels while at speed and it gets louder as u speed up then most likely its a bad bearing another way to check is take the suspect wheel off and just try spinning the brake disc from the lugs (with the brakes off of course) and if it doesnt spin freely or smoothly then the bearing is bad
Old May 7, 2014, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A bad wheel bearing should allow movement both up and down and left and right. On the other hand, there shouldn't any movement at all. You should check to see what is loose.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check the outer tie rod as well. i just had a wheel bearing and tie rod end go out at the same time. a really bad wheel bearing could ruin an outer tie rod.
Old May 10, 2014, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for responses guys.my inner/outer tie rods are new.ill keep saving anyway,since my car is with 126k.
Old May 12, 2014, 08:59 PM

Having the same issue except mines only happen when running 60-70mph and it goes away. Had an alignment done but I know for a fact that I also have a bad ball joint. Would that make the same noise? Thanks. Sorry to jack up the thread.
Old May 13, 2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Blackops_DC5
Having the same issue except mines only happen when running 60-70mph and it goes away. Had an alignment done but I know for a fact that I also have a bad ball joint. Would that make the same noise? Thanks. Sorry to jack up the thread.
Ball joint would be different from bearing noise. If you have issues at a certain speed - get the wheels balanced because you may have simply lost a stick-on counter-weight.